R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Serousily though it’s still £3.4K for a mass produced guitar at this *bargain* price.  When they started with the nice Memphis 63 reissues in 2015 they were about £2.3k new. And they didn’t have a plastic fingerboard. 

Some plastic fingerboards can be exceptional - better than the finest braz boards
    Agree that can likely be the case , but I’m sure plastic is cheaper than braz.
    Depends on what plastic (obvs) and how hard it is to work.

Phenolic Resin is common on high end fretless basses - it’s relatively cheap but takes a lot of manual work/machine time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Serousily though it’s still £3.4K for a mass produced guitar at this *bargain* price.  When they started with the nice Memphis 63 reissues in 2015 they were about £2.3k new. And they didn’t have a plastic fingerboard. 

Some plastic fingerboards can be exceptional - better than the finest braz boards

Phenolic Resin is common on high end fretless basses - it’s relatively cheap but takes a lot of manual work/machine time
    Come on man, you know bass doesn’t count
    Serousily though it’s still £3.4K for a mass produced guitar at this *bargain* price.  When they started with the nice Memphis 63 reissues in 2015 they were about £2.3k new. And they didn’t have a plastic fingerboard. 

No, it’s drummers that don’t count
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501

Totally counts.  Any “modern”material used on a mainstream guitar probably has 20+ years of proven use on bass.  It takes that long for guitarists to notice

anything that’s proven to work on a fretless bass will work brilliantly on a fretted guitar.

but I’m a guitarist, so I still prefer real wood. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @WezV - you just fear change mate ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Greetings Fretboarders it’s been a while! 

My dirty lemon R8 was delivered to work this afternoon. It stayed in the boot of my car until my wife went out with friends. She can find it on its stand when she stumbles home later on!

This thread is an absolute riot. 

My guitar is absolutely fantastic ! Great acoustic sound and plugged in she just rings.

Kudos to Peach for super service and a great set up out of the box.

l love the Gibson VOS brushed woolly matt satin finish and mildly corroded metal parts. Mine has a few slight marks small scratches in the lacquer here and there which add character. The Gibson VOS is somewhere in between Fender NOS and Fender Journeyman without the chips in my opinion. 

The guitar has the usual Gibson hand finished individual factory touches which could irritate some but nothing worth getting excited over. 

Only played for for an hour or so but I am absolutely delighted. Plays like a dream and sounds superb. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I have done a couple of guitar boards with richlite.  And one of the two  fretless basses I have made had an acrylised be maple fretboard which is essentially the same thing made from real wood rather than paper.

i don’t mind alternatives... but I keep coming back to real wood.
    WezV said:
    I have done a couple of guitar boards with richlite.  And one of the two  fretless basses I have made had an acrylised be maple fretboard which is essentially the same thing made from real wood rather than paper.

I’ve had my eyes opened by the phenolic resin board I have to say...
    WezV said:

At that size it will be more consistent than most sources of ebony could ever offer 
    WezV said:
    WezV said:

At that size it will be more consistent than most sources of ebony could ever offer 
    I did wonder if the size of the board was the reason for the choice of material!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5321
    Can’t be arsed to read back..... Are there any more Dirty Lemons arriving this week? 
    tone1 said:
    Can’t be arsed to read back..... Are there any more Dirty Lemons arriving this week? 
    Can’t be arsed to tell you
    20reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Are there 10s on it? (Stupid question?)
    Yes, according the the little check list card from Peach.

and as a nice touch Peach included a bottle of Dunlop 65 cleaner-polish and cloth!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    tone1 said:
    no.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dannyboy82dannyboy82 Frets: 171

Well I succumbed, a cherry from GG (who were great by the way)

The set up was pretty good out of the box but a little too much relief. So I reach for my trusty Gibson truss rod wrench and it’s too small?

I thought all Gibson’s were 5/16 but the nut on mine is 11/32. It adjusted fine so all good but thought it a little strange. Anyone else noticed this?

Guitar is an absolute beast though!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932

Well I succumbed, a cherry from GG (who were great by the way)

The set up was pretty good out of the box but a little too much relief. So I reach for my trusty Gibson truss rod wrench and it’s too small?

I thought all Gibson’s were 5/16 but the nut on mine is 11/32. It adjusted fine so all good but thought it a little strange. Anyone else noticed this?

Guitar is an absolute beast though!
    Mine needed loosening a smidge. I used a Gibson truss tool from another guitar, same size
  • Any buyers remorse yet? C’mon,someone’s got to be secretly regretting it. ‘Fess up!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Any buyers remorse yet? C’mon,someone’s got to be secretly regretting it. ‘Fess up!
    Nope, I've been trying to force myself to have buyers remorse (if it's going to happen better to happen whilst I can still send it back) but it's just so bloody nice to play.....
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    johnl said:
    Any buyers remorse yet? C’mon,someone’s got to be secretly regretting it. ‘Fess up!
    Nope, I've been trying to force myself to have buyers remorse (if it's going to happen better to happen whilst I can still send it back) but it's just so bloody nice to play.....
    The only remorse I have is in recognising that these have always been available to me second hand at a similar sort of price. What have I been doing with my life?
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I do have one slight niggle with historic spec on these...pickup ring heights. It transpires that I pick directly above the back of the neck pickup ring. The strings in this location aren't much higher than the ring itself, with the pickup cover actually slightly lower than the ring. My action isn't super low either. I therefore have to adjust where I pick to avoid hitting the neck pickup ring. 

Newer production model Les Pauls have lower pickup ring heights.  Given the historic spec of the parts, using modern replacements would have a visual impact presumably. I have read some internet wisdom about sanding the pickup rings down but I'm reluctant to do that.

Anyone else noticed this?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom