Budget LP "style" guitar recommendations ?

What's Hot
baldybaldy Frets: 195
So, following on from several threads on a similar theme but for strat type guitars what about LP "style" single cut twin humbucker type guitars that are great bang for buck or exceed expectations ?
Say under the £500 mark, new or used ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3695
    Gibson LP Studio or one of the Tribute models. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4691
    Prs Bernie 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Shameless plug for my Chris Robertson SE, around that price but RRP was an optimistic 995 I think, although 700 was more like new street price. (http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/136968/fs-prs-se-chris-robertson-kentucky-blueburst#latest)

• ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    I'm after a budget LP but my budget is much lower no more than £200..
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The Epiphone Les Paul tribute plus is really good guitar with hard case, American pickups etc.

Also keep an eye out for used Gibson tributes and LPJ (not a junior).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1809
    If you are sub £200 have alook at the Vintage range of a few years ago they were pretty good for no real money.  
    As said you can find plenty of cheap tributes and studios if you have a bit more cash to splash. 

If I was going to spend 500-600 quid would look for a late 80/90's Japanese these come up from time to time and way better build quality than say the budget US stuff. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    sub £200 a used Chinese Burny, they really are very good indeed.  £500 used Gibson tribute or a used modern Japanese Tokai. IMO the '80's ones at around that price point are so variable unless you  can play it first it's a big risk.  The high-end '80's Japanese stuff can be excellent, but you generally get what you pay for 
  • LTD EC series. You can probably pick up an EC1000 for around £500, and they're great. I had one, it was my main gigging guitar for years
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Clashman said:
    I'm after a budget LP but my budget is much lower no more than £200..
    Try a Vintage v100. I much prefer them to epiphones.
  • The Vintage LPs are very good. And I recently bought an LTD EC-256 that I'm very happy with.

• ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    Yes I have been looking for a V100 or an Epiphone.
  • underdog said:
    The Epiphone Les Paul tribute plus is really good guitar with hard case, American pickups etc.

Also keep an eye out for used Gibson tributes and LPJ (not a junior).
    I 2nd the Epi Tribute Plus, excellent bang for buck. I tried one in a shop a while ago back-to-back with a Les Paul Studio and actually preferred the Epi to the Gibson.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11104
    tFB Trader
    Clashman said:
    Yes I have been looking for a V100 or an Epiphone.
    Vintage V100 all day. We've had two as pickup demo guitars, and they are very solidly and nicely made. True I don't rate the Wilkinson pickups ... but they are okay ... and you can always save up a few bob later and fit some Irongears or similar for not a lot of money. The V100 WRs fitted with mini humbuckers seem to go for less than the full size humbucker versions second hand ... and they can be retrofitted with P90s to make a really nice instrument. The stock mini humbuckers are not particularly inspiring.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9772
    underdog said:

Also a decent switch you won't have to replace, a solid maple cap (albeit under a veneer), and some sort of longer tenon neck joint.
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    Anyone know the tuning post diameter of the Vintage V100 please ?
    tFB Trader
    baldy said:
    Anyone know the tuning post diameter of the Vintage V100 please ?
    It's the weedy smaller diameter one for Tulip machines ... needs opened out for Grovers etc.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

tFB Trader
    underdog said:

Also a decent switch you won't have to replace, a solid maple cap (albeit under a veneer), and some sort of longer tenon neck joint.
    And the fat end of five hundred quid ... when similar money will get you a Gibson LP Studio (or LPJ) second hand. I'd go genuine Gibson second hand rather than Epiphone new any day of the week.  

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    Amazon were blowing out some Gibson Tributes for £500 not long ago
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 691
    Anyone tried the Schecter Solo Custom?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9772
    underdog said:

And the fat end of five hundred quid ... when similar money will get you a Gibson LP Studio (or LPJ) second hand. I'd go genuine Gibson second hand rather than Epiphone new any day of the week.  
    You’re probably right, but I only had £300. For about £50 more than a used Epi LP Standard, I got a hell of a lot more guitar.