How do they put LEDs in a guitar/bass neck?

...... and can it be done DIY? I'm sure someone here once mentioned doing them?

I'm thinking ahead of myself about building a bass up, and I love the idea of adding LEDs.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9792
    I'd imagine they'd be installed before the fretboard is glued on. Pretty labour intensive I'd guess, and you'd have to think about you were going to wire them up to the circuitry that drives them.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16993
    Its not too difficult if you go for fibre optic cable rather than individual LED's.

Best done by routing channels in the underneath of the fretboard before gluing - not sure how SIMS and places like that do it to existing necks.   not done it myself yet but seen plenty of successful DIY jobs

try this
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    As I understand it, wiring channels are burnt into a pre-built neck using heated tungsten(?) wires, wires passed down these channels and soldered to LEDs placed at the markers. 

Seems like Not A DIY Job to me.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9792
    WezV said:
    Its not too difficult if you go for fibre optic cable rather than individual LED's.

Ah, yes, of course!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    If I have a go I'd have the luxury of fretboard not attached to neck. Probably wouldn't go fibre optic as I want full-on fret markers

having said that, good link there WezV, thanks.
    I have seen the same method used for front markers too, just need to be aware of how much you can bend the cable and how to diffuse the light for bigger markers - i thinkt he one i saw had clear perspex dots on the fretboard face but the dot had been elft satin so the whole thing glowed.   The upside is that its a lot more reliable than individual LED's with less wiring and power issues
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    I'd suggest looking at this:
    https://fretfx.com/
    Easy to fit, and easy to remove if you don't like. Yes, it's not as tidy as embedding the lights in the neck, but it's sooo much easier. And they are incredibly bright!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Not keen on them personally. I'd want to do a 'proper' job. Worthwhile for many people though I'm sure.