A new amp for Dave Fat Dave

What's Hot
bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391

my mate Dave Fat Dave is looking for a new amp in the £400 to £500 region. he's just bought himself a ricky 360 as he's a big Weller, Who and general mod fanatic. looking for something valvey. he's only a bedroom player so not looking for anything too loud.

Any reccomendations to suit his mod like fascination and to compliment that Ricky.

cheers!

The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A hot rod deluxe would work...

Not sure if he's got room for a fender twin, but they do sound nice at low volume! Just be careful not to bump it by mistake, the volume will destroy the street he lives on.

Seriously though, a nice clean fender amp should work. 5 watters will get dirty too quick, so 20 might work better.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Vox AC15.
  • I was thinking along the fender hot rod lines. Just seen the new fender vaporizer too which seems alright for the money. (£380) http://www.fender.com/series/pawn-shop-special/vaporizer-surf-green-120v/
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73140
    AC30CC2. Should be just in budget second hand.

It has a better really low volume sound than the AC15 in my opinion. Heavy, but no problem if you don't need to move it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just thought, a Laney vc30 could work pretty well. It's sort of voxey sounding, sounds good, super cheap second hand (cheap enough you can upgrade the speakers) and pretty reliable.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    How fat is he?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

57Deluxe said:
    How fat is he?
    As far as I can tell, exactly half as much as he is Dave.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe said:
    How fat is he?

Put it this way, he makes jabba the hut look like a size 0 and his rickenbacker looks like a key ring when he plays it. :P
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73140
    *Definitely* an AC30 then...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    57Deluxe said:
    How fat is he?

Put it this way, he makes jabba the hut look like a size 0 and his rickenbacker looks like a key ring when he plays it. :P
    ...well that's why I asked cos with a lot of amps he might find it hard to get his fat stubby hands under and around the amp handle and with a fat waddle-y gait move around with it...I'd play safe and get him in the direction of a Micro Terror...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    p90fool said:
    Does nobody modify amp handles for the sausage-fingered?
    Hmm, perhaps if we pointed mdphilips in the direction of modifying amps ... without him bothering about the usual blinkered orthodox things, like unplugging from the mains, or discharging caps, ...  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom