Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Guitar R9 sale - Anyone getting excited about these

What's Hot

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    You guys are horrible.

I've now contacted GG about a number of R9's to find out weights. 

Let's hope the ones I like are all super heavy.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 301
    Twinfan said:
    I totally understand your point, but at the end of the day they're guitars and they're designed to make music.  Play 'em  grin 
    Indeed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    I was told that most of the ones left are high 8lb and into 9lb, especially the more flamey/figured ones.

I asked for weights of several of them and a couple of the Dirty Lemons were around 8.5lbs but they're sold.
    edited September 2018
    Twinfan said:
    I was told that most of the ones left are high 8lb and into 9lb, especially the more flamey/figured ones.

I asked for weights of several of them and a couple of the Dirty Lemons were around 8.5lbs but they're sold.
    Phew - annoyingly though my preference is for less overt flameyness, more subtle flames.

I don't want anything above 8.4 so hopefully that will rule out most if not all of them.

Did you ask them about the tobaccos?
    edited September 2018
    Nah, I asked about Lemons mostly.  A couple of Teaburst and Cherries too, but only the highly flamed ones.

This one at Andertons is possibly one of the lightest still not sold - it's 8.3lbs.  It was my backup if the one I bought from GG wasn't as good as I hoped it would be.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/cool-stuff/electric-guitars/gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-standard-figured-top-vos-psl-in-dirty-lemonburst-cslpstdpsl1133597804

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018
    Yeah I've been eyeing up that one. Hopefully someone will do me a favour and buy it.

But in fairness that one looks too orangey to me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FWIW I think the ones around 9lb sound best, so I wouldn't let a few extra ounces put you off!
    I like lighter ones - it's such a personal thing!

As for the Andertons one being orange, I think it's just photo processing messing up the colour.  It'll be the same as any other Dirty Lemon in real life.
    Twinfan said:
    I like lighter ones - it's such a personal thing!

As for the Andertons one being orange, I think it's just photo processing messing up the colour.  It'll be the same as any other Dirty Lemon in real life.
    Me too, although it is more for my dodgy shoulder than tone :) 

I'll have to sleep on the R9. Going to be an uncomfortable night
  • FWIW I think the ones around 9lb sound best, so I wouldn't let a few extra ounces put you off!
    Honestly have to agree with this, light ones are nice but there more of an airy tone more delicate the ones around 9lb have a more fatter ballzy tone in my experience tone all subjective but the whole lighter guitar less Paul is best thing isn’t true sure if it was 10lb and above maybe but around 9lb is a good weight ymmv 
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    I spent the last hour in my office today playing my few week old Les Paul BFG, which weighs just 7lb 11oz, and enjoyed every minute.

My R8 which weighs 9lb 5oz is next to me on the sofa and has been getting played for the last hour, and I have enjoyed it even more.

When I first pick up either the weight difference is noticeable, but soon forgotten.
    The weight just seems to give a different tone, there's no right or wrong  :)
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    edited September 2018
    Twinfan said:
    The weight just seems to give a different tone, there's no right or wrong 
    Exactly. All personal preference. My preference is about 9lbs or just over as it sounds the best to me. I have two over and one under 9lb. The two over are way beefier and sound incredible. The one under sounds nice, but it’s quite a bit more delicate sounding. It has a tasty midrange though.
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    terada said:
    Yeah I've been eyeing up that one. Hopefully someone will do me a favour and buy it.

But in fairness that one looks too orangey to me
    At that weight and with that top I don’t expect it’ll last long.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited September 2018
    Twinfan said:
    Nah, I asked about Lemons mostly.  A couple of Teaburst and Cherries too, but only the highly flamed ones.

This one at Andertons is possibly one of the lightest still not sold - it's 8.3lbs.  It was my backup if the one I bought from GG wasn't as good as I hoped it would be.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/cool-stuff/electric-guitars/gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-standard-figured-top-vos-psl-in-dirty-lemonburst-cslpstdpsl1133597804

That’s got a special edition modern neck shape though does it not? ie custom shop version of current les Paul standard, not an R9
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    I keep looking at the Andertons website and working out the payments,,,,,dammit ;)

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    TINMAN82 said:
    Twinfan said:

That’s got a special edition modern neck shape though does it not? ie custom shop version of current les Paul standard, not an R9
    Don’t think so, all 2017 r8/r9/r0’s have the 59 neck shape.
    TINMAN82 said:
    Twinfan said:

What's the neck shape thing all about?
  • TINMAN82 said:
    Twinfan said:

What makes you say that?
  • dbphoto said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Twinfan said:

Don’t think so, all 2017 r8/r9/r0’s have the 59 neck shape.
    While the R8 and R9 have the same neck shape (with some variation as they're hand finished)... I believe the 2017 R0 guitars have a different profile.