Need help fixing bridge

What's Hot
MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
edited April 2014 in Making & Modding
Hi guys, I hope I've put this in the right place!

I have a Mexican standard Strat and for a while now my strings keep breaking/uncoiling at the bridge. It happened in soundcheck before my bands first gig which obviously did wonders for my pre-gig nerves.

The last one to break was my D string (new set of strings) but it's happened to several others before. Obviously it's extremely frustrating but I think I've found the problem and need advice on how to fix it. If it makes any difference I use 11 - 49 D'addario strings.

Here are two pictures, one taken with flash and one without. I think those grooves/dents are called burrs right? I have no idea how to go about fixing them and am really looking for an idiots guide on how to do so.

Apologies for the out of focus pictures.

The fact there are burrs in pretty much all of the holes makes me think I should just buy a new bridge. I'm not doing great financially at the moment so would prefer the cheapest solution.

Lastly I just want to say I'm new to this forum and in the couple of weeks I have been here I have gained so much knowledge, so thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1276
    I've got a set of needle files from Maplins that I use for things like this.

Just smooth the edges using a round file and you should be fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
    I've got a set of needle files from Maplins that I use for things like this.

Just smooth the edges using a round file and you should be fine.
    This is what I'm a tad confused with so forgive my ignorance...do I just smooth the burrs themselves or file the surrounding area down so that it's level with the burrs (therefore making them disappear)?

Thanks a lot mate.
    It depends how perfect you want it to be. You could disassemble the whole bridge and get everything perfect and circular and clean.

If it was mine, I'd probably just get in there with a round needle file and remove any sharp edges where the string contacts.

In fact, I did exactly this a while ago on a cheap £25 guitar I picked up and refurbished. I finished off the polishing with a bit of fine wet/dry abrasive paper wrapped around the file. Worked fine.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9792
    They look like notches caused by the string's break angle to me rather than burrs... Maybe it's a notch in a burred edge, in which case filing it down to a "solid" edge of the hole will help.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73140
    This is a very common problem with Strat bridges, but there's definitely no need to replace the bridge to fix it. You need a small round needle file as steamabacus said.

I would take the saddles off - measure the distances from the back of the bridge to the back of the saddle on each one to save time getting the intonation right when putting it back together - and carefully file each of the holes completely round at the contact point, removing the groove entirely and making a smooth radius. It will make a much better job than just working through the holes in the saddles, which I would only do as a quick emergency fix if I didn't have enough time to do it thoroughly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hello,
    Almost anything you do to those sharp edges will give a 95% improvement... as to working through the saddles still attached or unscrewing them to give better access; well a middle road might be to see if the saddle attachment sprung screw has got enough play in the hole it comes through, that you can lift and hold the saddle to one side while you file off the sharp edge.

As other pretty much suggested: getting a new bridge might just reintroduce the problem when getting rid of the sharp edge is what is wanted.
    Good luck,
    Mark....................

It depends how perfect you want it to be. You could disassemble the whole bridge and get everything perfect and circular and clean.

If it was mine, I'd probably just get in there with a round needle file and remove any sharp edges where the string contacts.

In fact, I did exactly this a while ago on a cheap £25 guitar I picked up and refurbished. I finished off the polishing with a bit of fine wet/dry abrasive paper wrapped around the file. Worked fine.
    I will pop down to Maplin/Wickes tomorrow and pick myself up a set and get to work, thanks again.

(sweet guitar too!)
    Thanks a lot for the advice guys, taken it all on board!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    If you want the expensive but excellent and quick solution, run this through the bridge plate...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Oh, and realistically, if the strings have dug in this badly, the top plate is a bit soft... if you are keeping the guitar long term, look into replacing the top plate of the trem. Wudtone and Callaham are the obvious suppliers...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• mdphillips1956;207501" said:
    Hello,Almost anything you do to those sharp edges will give a 95% improvement... as to working through the saddles still attached or unscrewing them to give better access; well a middle road might be to see if the saddle attachment sprung screw has got enough play in the hole it comes through, that you can lift and hold the saddle to one side while you file off the sharp edge.

As other pretty much suggested: getting a new bridge might just reintroduce the problem when getting rid of the sharp edge is what is wanted.Good luck,Mark....................
    This can work, but be careful - some screws are made of cheap pot metal and if they bend, it'll be a nightmare setting intonation. I'd advise removing them completely as @icbm said, recording the height and how far forward each saddle is :)
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4259
    Maybe @mdphillips can offer some alternate advice?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73140
    Trying to lift the saddles or tilt them sideways is still awkward and won't allow full access to the holes.

Just do the job properly and take them off! It's less than a minute's work. Why bodge when you can do it right more easily?!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Raided my Grandad's shed and found a small needle file and I think it's job done! I had to stop myself as I would have ended up filing the the whole bridge away. Now just neeed to clean it to remove all the metal dust.

Old pic for comparison

Even the photography's better!
    :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Even the photography's better!
    :)
    Haha :D