A proper head scratcher...

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73026
    Bridgehouse said:

The pickups aren’t connected ;)
    Ah! Well it's not those then :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1509
    Interesting that there is no ground to the Ghost system (other than the ring short).  I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

This diagram shows a ground with active pickups:

http://www.graphtech.com/docs/default-document-library/powering-active-pickups.pdf?sfvrsn=2
    edited September 2018
    duplicate post due to link
    edited September 2018
    edited September 2018
  • ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

The pickups aren’t connected ;)
    Ah! Well it's not those then :).
    Nope. Def the ghost Preamp board. I’m going to wrap it in tinfoil later as an experiment

• PhilKing said:
    Interesting that the Ghost isn't grounded.  This diagram shows a ground connection:

http://www.graphtech.com/docs/default-document-library/powering-active-pickups.pdf?sfvrsn=2
    It’s grounded - one of the wires from the black ground row goes to my common ground. 
    Bridgehouse said:

Nope. Def the ghost Preamp board. I’m going to wrap it in tinfoil later as an experiment
    Put it in a small plastic bag first to be certain you don't short out anything.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Put it in a small plastic bag first to be certain you don't short out anything.
    :)
  • axisus said:
    Sorry, two sentences in and my head exploded. 
    Well, having put in ghost acoustiphonics in a couple of my LP's - one with an additional piggy-backed hexpander midi module and associated switches, I got all the way to the bottom of the thread.

And THEN my head exploded.
  • axisus said:
    Sorry, two sentences in and my head exploded. 
    Well, having put in ghost acoustiphonics in a couple of my LP's - one with an additional piggy-backed hexpander midi module and associated switches, I got all the way to the bottom of the thread.

And THEN my head exploded.
    Wait till I try my experiments later... I suspect there is more explosion to come!!!
  • Update for the disinterested part 1!

Experiment 1 - long leads to the socket:

The socket is a metre from tbe ghost board. No interference at all. The high pitched noise starts faintly at about 25cm away and gets stronger until right next to the ghost board when it’s very loud indeed.

Experiment 2 - cable connection from jack socket, then wireless controller turned on and held in hand - noise from 25cm out to right up to ghost board exactly the same - it has nothing to do with the circuit at all in the slightest etc.. 
  • Experiment No. 3 - Tin Foil placed around ghost board, switch and vol pot...

And it cuts down the noise significantly..... very significantly. 

So shielding is the answer. Sigh. OK. On with the shielding it is then.
  • In terms of how much it cuts down the noise - it becomes a very faint and nearly imperceptible noise at about 6cm away...
    So definitely airborne then.

If 6cm still isn’t far enough when it’s all back in the bass, try a double layer of foil.

• ICBM said:
    So definitely airborne then.

If 6cm still isn’t far enough when it’s all back in the bass, try a double layer of foil.
    Yep - going to experiment with it back in to find the best fit
  • @ICBM - been pondering shield strategy - the cables on the loom are acting as an antenna a bit - should I shield them with braided tinned shielding and does that need to be grounded?

I think I also need to shield the inside part of the jack socket as it’s inside the cavity shield and another unshielded antenna - thoughts?
  • You need the universal shield of an Altoids tin :)
  • normula1 said:
    You need the universal shield of an Altoids tin :)
    You’re right! Shame it wouldn’t fit in the control cavity tho ;)
    @ICBM - been pondering shield strategy - the cables on the loom are acting as an antenna a bit - should I shield them with braided tinned shielding and does that need to be grounded?
    That should work, and yes - shielding always needs to be connected to ground.

I think I also need to shield the inside part of the jack socket as it’s inside the cavity shield and another unshielded antenna - thoughts?
    Probably not, since it will be on the low-impedance output of the preamp. But you could try it.