NGD - GS

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8540
Well earlier last week and it’s appeared in a few threads but thought I’d do a NGD because, after some time with it this weekend, this guitar has really taken me by surprise.

I’m on a bit of a mission at the moment to scratch any guitar related itches I’ve had burning for a while, and one of those is the new Gordon Smith outfit. I had a GS1 20 years ago until I sat on it and broke off the headstock a few years later, so have a soft spot.

This was in a sale at a great price so took a punt. Wowsers it’s great little guitar. Build is flawless, something I can’t say about guitars I’ve had at 4 times as much, so I’m not making allowances, it’s sharp and and looks in no way “homemade” - one piece mahogany body, one piece mahogany neck, hard case also included.

It plays like a dream, and it sounds just brilliant - it’s got that mahogany bark and bite, but pile on the delay and reverb and it does amazing indie-schmindi duties as well, something I wasn’t expecting, the GS humbucker seems to cut through in a way that no Gibson I’ve had ever had has, so I’m not about to change it.

Love it when a guitar takes you by surprise, this is an inspiring machine for not much money. Not really a looker, and is rather apologetic hanging amongst custom coloured Fender’s and Suhr, it’s like giving a home to a stray.

https://i.imgur.com/Lnowa4g.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oi4jiUL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/abCUoq7.jpg

1reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks great - I've long fancied a GS.
  • Like the look of that top - simple but rich
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2417
    Spot on that. Always had time for Gordon Smith guitars. I had an 80s GS2, which was a simple no nonsense instrument, but sounded great and had a neck to die for. God damn GAS eh? Anyway, I hope you continue to enjoy yours for years to come  :)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3336
    Nowt wrong with that. Nice and don't sit on this one, Dan! :)
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2963
    Glad to hear you're enjoying it, and as impressed by Auden's quality as I've been. I'm also finding the GS humbucker has an openness and clarity to it that sets it apart from my Gibsons.

I bought my first GS this year - lovely guitar, made to order, but sadly was damaged in transit during the heatwave. Gordon Smith took it back for repairs, but actually did an amazing job by building a replacement for me in about 5 weeks. Can't fault their customer service! 

Now I'm a big fan of Gordon Smith, and loving my GS1000. :)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 561
    I had a Gordon Smith guitar a long time ago  . . . I think it was the GS60 ???? but Im really not sure . . . It was brand new and I got it via a friend who did some engineering / machining for GS Guitars. It was full thickness, solid mahogany, two buckers, very Les Paul and very, very well built.

I think I paid cost price rather than full price as I don't remember paying that much for it. I didn't keep it for too long as kind of drifted back to Fenders but it was light,despite being all mahogany, and it played exceptionally well . . . If I remember rightly it had a brass nut . . . Not overly keen on some of the Bridge designs I've seen and I prefer the standard arrangement like the example above but these are great value for money guitars . . UK made too :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• FezFez Frets: 536
    I really liked thew one I played at Kempton park the other week on the GS stand. The one I have is Late seventies I think poss early 80's one of a pair made for the guitarist in the Salford Jets who sold it to a mate of mine when he was hard up. I love the double cutaway shape but the mahoosive frets don't do it any favours it has Dimarzio pick ups which are a bit uncultured but OK. Good score @dindude enjoy it. 
    Don't touch that dial.