Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gobsmacked by this guys extraordinary talent - Sultans of swing like you've never heard it before!

What's Hot

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    gordiji said:
    If you're a guitarist you should love what he plays here, even if it's not your bag, he's ace !
    there hangs the difference between a guitar player and a musician, technically ok, musically horrible 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3683
    I drive, does that mean if I see another driver on the road I should admire the way he doesnt indicate while exiting a roundabout?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jimificationjimification Frets: 161
    edited September 2018
    I think the concept of widdling over Sultans is a shit idea musically... whether the widdling itself is proficient or not doesn't change that for me.

Beautiful plummage though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23577
    robgilmo said:
    martinw said:

I didn't like it.

Am I allowed to not like it?

Yes you are, however you have to balance a negative comment with a positive one, even if you dont actually mean it, for example,

I didn't like it, but I also did like it a lot.

or

I didn't like it, I am however totally set back by his amazing technical skills and his succulent string fingering.

Or even, 

I didn't like it, but I do like the way he wears his hair and his casual yet smart attire.
    I did like it, but I got quite irritated by the awkward way he clambers about on that bloody silly stool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    gordiji said:
    If you're a guitarist you should love what he plays here, even if it's not your bag, he's ace !
    Exactly.  Unfortunately some people prefer to knock things down and deflect what was simply a skills appreciation post and prefer to talk about the meaning of songs and balance of guitar to vocals, condemning street players, and generally criticise and knock what is a very very talented player. This is a trait that sadly rears its head from time to time on this forum and its ungracious and unbecoming and has been commented on by other forums too. If I didn't know better I'd think some people were envious of the guys skills and knock this type of thing down to make themselves feel better about their own playing. 

I don't expect everyone to like his interpretation or choice of material or even his style. I wasnt suggesting he's the greatest player in the world, merely that he's massively talented. And to be fair most responses have been pretty fair and reasonable and acknowledged that....but there are others that have been less than gracious to say the least and didn't even bother listening to the whole thing. 

I fully expect a severe backlash for making this observation...and frankly I don't care.  Whenever others have gone to the trouble of posting stuff to listen to, I've always listened to the whole thing and even if it's not my personal cup of tea. Sometimes I'll listen to posted clips more than once to see if it might grow on me and if I can glean why the poster was so enthusiastic..sometimes things will grow on me and other times they won't.  But I've never commented until I've given it a fair hearing..which is more than some folk have done here. 

So, feel free to give me stick over this post if you want to, but frankly that's how I feel.  :)

Next time I see something that I think is worth sharing, perhaps I'll think twice about posting it. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    If the internet was the most beautiful garden ever there would still be some people who have to go around pulling up flowers
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    axisus said:
    If the internet was the most beautiful garden ever there would still be some people who have to go around pulling up flowers

and there would be others taking perfectly lovely flowers and spraying them gold , covering them with glitter and aftershave whilst others proclaim the flowers are now technically "better" but the original flower was best ...

fwiw I'd have thrown a quid in to the buskers bucket but I wouldn't buy his stuff .

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    gordiji said:
    Just about everyone on this forum is a guitarist but not everyone loves what he plays. He's clever. He's a good busker. But 'Ace' is subjective.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Voxman, you're talking nonsense and frankly it's that kind of overreaction to fair criticism that makes want to have less and less to do with this forum.

That's the point I was trying to make with my slightly flippant, although true and balanced post.

No one has been ungracious and any criticism here has been reasonable and fair. Yet you want to censor that and run around shouting the latest buzzword 'negativity!' It's getting like 'racist'.....an accusation that you can't come back from.

No, I'm not going to listen to the whole thing just to keep you happy. Really?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited September 2018
    As an individual I reserve the right to love that which I love, and leave the rest alone.

I left this player alone after 15 seconds....I hope my opinion doesn't damage him too much. 

On the other hand, I never count the time when I'm listening to this geezer...takes all sorts eh? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3098
    Not my cup o tea, can't deny the chaps skills and technique, but not for me, less is more....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• I liked it. Thanks for sharing.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23577
    Voxman said:
    Next time I see something that I think is worth sharing, perhaps I'll think twice about posting it. 
    You shouldn't hesitate to post it, but you can't expect everyone to agree with you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Voxman said:
    gordiji said:
    Exactly.  Unfortunately some people prefer to knock things down and deflect what was simply a skills appreciation post and prefer to talk about the meaning of songs and balance of guitar to vocals, condemning street players, and generally criticise and knock what is a very very talented player. This is a trait that sadly rears its head from time to time on this forum and its ungracious and unbecoming and has been commented on by other forums too. If I didn't know better I'd think some people were envious of the guys skills and knock this type of thing down to make themselves feel better about their own playing. 

@voxman it appears that you aimed this comment at my response and my explanation, which I thought was a reasoned argument, about why I did not or do not like that kind of music.  Or rather the players choice of song to convert to a piece of music.  There already exists a vast catalog of music for him to choose from, music that is not part of a song or a song as we know it.

TBH I am not envious of his guitar playing in the same way that I am not envious of the golfing skills of Rory McIlroy or Justin Rose.  Or the footballing skills of CR7.  I am not putting down the guys talent, rather commenting on his choice of music.  And I gave a thorough explanation of why I feel that his choice of song to play on his guitar could have been better.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• westwest Frets: 1003
    As an individual I reserve the right to love that which I love, and leave the rest alone.

I left this player alone after 15 seconds....I hope my opinion doesn't damage him too much. 

On the other hand, I never count the time when I'm listening to this geezer...takes all sorts eh? 

Bill !!  now were talking ;)  ...
  • Saw him en route to Denmark street once playing a super technical version of shine on. 

Would love to have that facility on the instrument. 

Prefer the originals of both, but he's an excellent player. I thought that despite being shreddy his touch was really nice and emotive.
  • west said:

That's 2 of us who know who the bugger is...!! Hee Hee

Many will recognise the 1959 Kind of Blue reworking of this track- Flamenco Sketches, but here's the 1958 original Peace Piece...quite possibly one of my most re-visited pieces of music. Hope you enjoy it @West

west said:

That's 2 of us who know who the bugger is...!! Hee Hee

Many will recognise the 1959 Kind of Blue reworking of this track- Flamenco Sketches, but here's the 1958 original Peace Piece...quite possibly one of my most re-visited pieces of music. Hope you enjoy it @West

superb !  i had some tuition with sid jacobs , best teacher ever ... do you know his book of bill , if not strongly recomend ..

cheers west ...