Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's more versatile: Telecaster or Jazzmaster?

What's Hot

Comments

• NikcNikc Frets: 629
    JerkMoans said:
    Nikc said:
    Who cares Jazzmaster's are just ugly 
    Sacrilege :angry: :angry: :angry: 
    I just looked at a picture of one and I don't think ill able to see for a week - and its got a big butt, but not in a good way  :o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nikc said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Nikc said:
    I just looked at a picture of one and I don't think ill able to see for a week - and its got a big butt, but not in a good way  :o
    I LIKE big butts, and I cannot lie.

My identical twin brother, on the other hand, can't stand them - but always lies.

You have one question...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73030

Just look at the range of players in different styles who used Teles vs Jazzmasters.
    A lot of that is historical context, partly dictated by the available amps and pedals, and partly just fashion. Nowadays, players in an equally diverse range of styles use Jazzmasters too.

You *can* use an Ibanez RG for almost any style of music, and the reason you don't see them very much outside hard rock/metal isn't because they aren't versatile.

Philly_Q said:

That should be screaming "too much hardware!" but it actually looks very cool.

It puzzles me why Fender didn't do that at the time they brought out the Bigsby Tele, since they had the hardware already - especially as demand for the Jazzmaster and Jaguar was falling in the late 60s - rather than buying in Bigsbys. Presumably the Bigsby was just so much more fashionable that the marketing people said that's what they needed to do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    Nikc said:
    I would have taken you seriously had you not used that unnecessary apostrophe. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    Telecaster. It does break when defend yourself against a stage invader.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    ICBM said:

but there’s no song you can play on a Tele that you can’t play on a Jazzmaster - so the Jazzmaster wins.

Actually without modification (such as shoving a lump of foam under the strings behind the bridge, there’s a lot of choppy rhythm stuff with high gain you can’t play on the Jazzmaster because the ringing strings interfere. Even playing some reggae/ska is difficult, as I said above - and I say that after trying it!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:

Actually without modification (such as shoving a lump of foam under the strings behind the bridge, there’s a lot of choppy rhythm stuff with high gain you can’t play on the Jazzmaster because the ringing strings interfere. Even playing some reggae/ska is difficult, as I said above - and I say that after trying it!
    Fair point.

Just stuff a cloth under it. I had to do that on my Jaguar when I was playing high-gain stuff on it a couple of times. A more clever trick would have been to fit the mute backwards, but I didn't have one at the time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philtre said:
    Nikc said:
    I would have taken you seriously had you not used that unnecessary apostrophe. ;)
    It's not unnecessary, it's just that he's deleted the word "genitalia".
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    Versatility is overrated.

The most versatile instrument is a synthesiser and nothing gets boring quicker than a new sound if there isn't some technique behind it and ideally a good song.

Play the one that makes you feel more like you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    ICBM said:

Tele, just - but it's very close. The Jazzmaster also has the extra 'rhythm' circuit which contrary to what seems to be popular belief, is actually quite useful and makes it more versatile.

Or you could always do this...

photo DSC03913jpg
    That's the worst of both worlds.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • impmann said:
    ICBM said:

but there’s no song you can play on a Tele that you can’t play on a Jazzmaster - so the Jazzmaster wins.

you rest the fatty bit of your hand behind the bridge and it stops that problem. 
    They can behave as well as any other guitar once you are used to them. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5893
    edited September 2018
    There’s never going to be any agreement in this thread clearly. And since I have neither, someone send me one of each and I’ll deliver a judgement for everyone. 

Although surely the answer is JM?? As long as there is only the one criteria of versatility 
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    edited September 2018
    ICBM said:
    Jota said:
    Any guitar is only as versatile as the hands that hold it. 
    Exactly.
    Can we get an "Amen"?
    No...

Give Steve Vai a Les Paul Jr and he'd still be brilliant, but unable to do some the things he can do on his Jem.
    That makes the guitar more appropriate to him, not more versatile!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    Jota said:
    ICBM said:
    Jota said:
    Any guitar is only as versatile as the hands that hold it. 
    Exactly.
    Can we get an "Amen"?
    No...

Give Steve Vai a Les Paul Jr and he'd still be brilliant, but unable to do some the things he can do on his Jem.
    The lack of a trem makes it less versatile. There are things you cannot do on a hardtail guitar that you can on one with a tremolo.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Jota said:
    ICBM said:

No, there's absolutely no question that a Jem is more versatile than a LP Jr - to claim otherwise is just daft. There's loads of stuff you can play on a Jem that you can't on a Jr, therefore it *is* more versatile - fact.

It's like the 'tone is all in the hands' argument - yes it is, up to a point... but there is no player who can make a Strat and a JC120 sound like a PRS and a Boogie. It's not *all* in the hands, just as versatility is not all down to the player.

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9595
    RMJ said:
    Lebarque said:
    What about if the Jazzmaster didn't have a trem? So I guess we're getting down to which pickups are more versatile: Tele or Jazzmaster?
    You can swap out pickups....

Jazzmaster is one of the most ergonomically comfortable guitars I've played. If that's even a consideration.

I own both and enjoy using both for different things. Jazzmaster makes we want to play clean wobbly stuff, but I also enjoy ripping on it too.

But the real answer is.....Les Paul

The answer on this board is that it’s a Les Paul, provided it’s a 2017 r8
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3962
    Telemaster :p
    This is the way I am thinking of going tbh. Comfort of a JM with pups and controls of a TC. Perfect 
  • Lebarque said:
    Telemaster :p
    This is the way I am thinking of going tbh. Comfort of a JM with pups and controls of a TC. Perfect 
    I couldn't disagree more
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    JerkMoans said:
    Nikc said:
    Correct. Coolest looking guitars out there.
    Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:

Or you could always do this...

photo DSC03913jpg

That should be screaming "too much hardware!" but it actually looks very cool.

Would be even better with a matching headstock.  ;)

Too much hardware! Love shoreline gold though.