Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Overdrives that also work into clean amps

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17653
in FX tFB Trader
The dirtbox world tends to split into those pedals that work really well at pushing an overdriven amp but don't sound that great into a high headroom clean channel (i.e. When pushing the amp to drive ain't going to happen) like the Tubescreamer and those which sound awesome in to a clean amp, but sound muddy into a dirty channel for example the Crunch Box. 

What pedals do you know of that work equally well in both situations?

The closest thing I've heard is the Prince of Tone which is magic into a driven channel and still pretty good into clean. 

The Liquid Sunshine is also good at both, but needs to be set slightly differently to get the best out of it for each application. 

Things I'm interested to try include the AC Boost and the Signadrive. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've always thought the OCD works well in both situation. Also the beastly H&K Tube Factor.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Signa drive is a very good choice, the 3 mode switch allows tuning to both situations. I would say the Signa Drive is in my top two drive pedals I've had or tried (and I've had lots). Must own another one day.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Zvex Distortron probably. Does a good Marshall in a small box impression and plenty of people use it as an OD.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17653
    tFB Trader

I've always thought the OCD works well in both situation. Also the beastly H&K Tube Factor.

The OCD doesn't have enough midrange for the kind of push I'm after, but then I've never really been an OCD fan. 
    tFB Trader
    Zvex Distortron probably. Does a good Marshall in a small box impression and plenty of people use it as an OD.
    Would like to try a Distortron. I'm a big fan of the BoR and the more controllable bass should make it a better OD.
  • geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    edited August 2013
    I use the Xotic BB preamp Andy Timmons Signature for just this and it's lovely through the Fender twin.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3315
    edited August 2013
    Well, I'll go with the Liquid Sunshine MKIII and also with the OCD. I did have a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive (I hear screams of TS derivative, TS derivative etc etc) and the 3 switch options were very good and that had more mids but it sounded nicer than a regular TS. These days I find adding a Keeley TS-808 on low gain to the LS or OCD really helps and gives them a push and a nice sting.

Have you thought of adding an Xotic EP to your overdrive and using it to push/thicken the sound rather than it acting like a solo boost or possibly the Wampler Dual fusion, which would be an all-in-one/best of both worlds solution because of the Euphoria and Paisley (TS) side.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Kingsley Jester for every application ever, into anything

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Hope it's not hi-jacking the thread to much if I also ask what people think are the best pedals for use just with a totally clean (solid-state) amp, and getting a smooth liquid kind of lead tone?
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463

I really didn't like it into an overdriven amp, it is however one of the best into a cleanish one.
    tFB Trader
    Kebabkid said:

Have you thought of adding an Xotic EP to your overdrive and using it to push/thicken the sound rather than it acting like a solo boost or possibly the Wampler Dual fusion, which would be an all-in-one/best of both worlds solution because of the Euphoria and Paisley (TS) side.
    At the moment I'm using a Liquid Sunshine, a DLS and a Route 66 into a clean amp.
    The LS is set quite low and gives a slight Tweed breakup for when I don't want total clean.
    The DLS is set to a Marshally rock rhythm and goes to a slightly more aggressive sound with both on.
    The Route 66 pushes either of the other two pedals into an awesome sustaining mid humped lead sound, but on it's own sounds quite fizzy and bass light. 

I'm quite happy with the setup, but I wondered if there was anything that would sound good in it's own right. 
    tFB Trader
    Megii said:
    Hope it's not hi-jacking the thread to much if I also ask what people think are the best pedals for use just with a totally clean (solid-state) amp, and getting a smooth liquid kind of lead tone?
    Done a lot of research into this:
    The Riot (or US Dream clone) for liquid shreddy
    The Crunchbox for JCM800 JDB/Slash sounds
    The Plimsoul is ace for mid humped smooth blues rock sounds (probably my top pick)
    The Pinnacle does a great EVH in a box

Any of those would do the job depending on preference. 
    Megii said:
    Done a lot of research into this:
    The Riot (or US Dream clone) for liquid shreddy
    The Crunchbox for JCM800 JDB/Slash sounds
    The Plimsoul is ace for mid humped smooth blues rock sounds (probably my top pick)
    The Pinnacle does a great EVH in a box

Any of those would do the job depending on preference. 
    That's appreciated, cheers, I will look into all of those. The Plimsoul sounds interesting from what you say - I'm kind of thinking along jazz-rock lines in terms of use. And the Riot might be an interesting "thinking out of the box" choice too.
    edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    Megii said:
    That's appreciated, cheers, I will look into all of those. The Plimsoul sounds interesting from what you say - I'm kind of thinking along jazz-rock lines in terms of use. And the Riot might be an interesting "thinking out of the box" choice too.
    The Riot with the gain pulled back and the tone rolled off is actually very fusiony as it's not an overtly Rock/Marshall type sound. 

There is a US Dream in the classifieds which is a clone worth taking a punt on.
    The Riot with the gain pulled back and the tone rolled off is actually very fusiony as it's not an overtly Rock/Marshall type sound. 

There is a US Dream in the classifieds which is a clone worth taking a punt on.
    Hmm, I may well take the punt you suggest, that could be fun to try. Thanks for your help! :)
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    +1. On the riot, pinnacle and crunch box into a clean amp. I'm using the riot and pinnacle intoa fender twin and used to gig with a crunch box - all very good at sounding like distorted amps.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

The MXR Distortion 3 works very well into a clean amp, less so into a driven amp.

Having said that, I've recently had some pleasing noises fron a Boss SD-1 into a Marshall Valvestate (set clean)

Or a Boss SD-2, set crunch/lead into a clean amp, gives the best of both worlds (within limitations)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
    edited August 2013
    I find the fulldrive 2 works quite well in both situations, you have to tweak the settings slightly and it's better into a dirty amp, but it's good for both
    "have a good time, all the time" Spinal Tap
    tFB Trader
    Oh yes agree with that, especially in MOSFET mode. 
    Bit big for the space I have unfortunately. 
  • jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
    I've never actually tried a MOSFET one, mine's one of the older ones.
    "have a good time, all the time" Spinal Tap