New valveking - how did I miss this?

The originals always struck me as being a nice work horse amp.  I quite liked the sounds - they were pleasant.  Not exactly super inspirational, nor having a great 'identity', but very functional at everything from clean cleans to pretty high gain, and everything in the middle.

There is a new range now, and it sounds nice on the demo, and look at the feature list! Serious contender here for anyone looking for an all in one home practice/recording/gigging amp.  

Simulated out, USB recording, dummy load, and a headphone jack on the 20 watt one (I'd probably want the 20 or 50). 

Nice :) anyone seen one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    Agreed, some nice features. The 20 watter looks like a neat package. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16463
    Not seen one but we have discussed them before - IIRC ICBM getting annoyed over incorrect use of term Class A.
    Is there some stuff on YouTube now? Good feature set.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Not seen one but we have discussed them before - IIRC ICBM getting annoyed over incorrect use of term Class A.
    Is there some stuff on YouTube now? Good feature set.
    Yeah, 'vari-class' is bogus, but it does change the character of the amp.  I remember that much!

Yeah, ther are a couple of vids and it sounds quite nice - again, not exactly awe inspiring, but solid sounding and versatile.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i had one of those Royal 8's for a while...it was a nice sounding amp...very affordable and good tone. I'm pretty sure it had a headphone jack too...but it was absolutely rubbish!

but this looks new and improved...so could be interesting.

Seems like every new main stream amp that comes out has to have simulated mic'd speaker out, and digital out.

It's the Law.

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7512
    edited April 2014
    ROOG said:

Seems like every new main stream amp that comes out has to have simulated mic'd speaker out, and digital out.

It's the Law.

They are genuinely useful though.  And I trust Peavey to make one that sounds, at the very least, acceptable, and fairly roadworthy, so the 20 watt head could be gigged quite nicely - you have to choose to speaker defeat, so I think you could use the amp as a monitor and send the direct signal to mixer.  

Nifty :)

But yes, it does seem to be the in 'thjing'. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    Not seen one but we have discussed them before - IIRC ICBM getting annoyed over incorrect use of term Class A.
    Not annoyed :). Just interested in making it clear that the 'Class A' claim (as it so often is) is marketing BS and doesn't either describe how the control works or tell you anything useful about the sound it produces.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ROOG said:

It's the Law.

They are genuinely useful though.  And I trust Peavey to make one that sounds, at the very least, acceptable, and fairly roadworthy, so the 20 watt head could be gigged quite nicely - you have to choose to speaker defeat, so I think you could use the amp as a monitor and send the direct signal to mixer.  

Nifty :)

But yes, it does seem to be the in 'thjing'. 

I agree useful, I already have Mustang and Thr, I wouldn't mind something "Marshally"

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12462
    I think they look naff though, the Peavey logo is forever stuck in the 80's, the old tweed classic range is the only range of theirs that looks nice IMO.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    edited April 2014
    /\ NO - this was the best ever Peavey amp aesthetic - the JACK DANIELS Classic 30...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>