one input into front of amp, and another into the effects return?!

What's Hot
wordywordy Frets: 67
edited April 2014 in Amps

I got a Fender Mustang Floor yesterday, which I have plugged into the FX return on my Egnator Tweaker.  Sounds quite good... and happy to have some new sounds to play with.  I always quite fancied the Mustang but I dont really have the space for a second amp, so this is a good compromise.

What I'm wondering now I how I have things connected going forward.  I will obviously still want to plug into the front of my amp through my effects chain - but now I'd also like the option to fire up the Mustang through the effects return.

So can I leave my effects chain plugged into the front of the amp as normal, and my Mustang plugged into the FX return, and then just connect my guitar to whichever I like?

Cheers, and a good weekend to all.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9868
    As far as I'm aware this will mean you'd be bypassing the pre-amp stage of the Mustang.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

When I'm using the Mustang Floor, I'm bypassing the pre-amp stage of the Tweaker for sure.

I think there is an option to only use the FX of the Mustang without the modelling, but I'm not doing this.

• Normally if you plug something into the fx return it cuts the signal from that amp's preamp, so I'd bet that you won't be able to use the Tweaker without unplugging the lead from the fx return (unless it has a switchable fx loop or something fancy).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

ah I see, thats what I wondering.  I might just try it I suppose... see what happens.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1276
    edited April 2014
    If you want either pedals-plus-Tweaker-preamp or Mustang-into-poweramp then you may be able to do it with an A/B box into the FX return. A would be the Tweaker preamp out, B would be the Mustang out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    I suppose it would depend on it being a series or parallel effects loop.  Parallel will still let sound though, so pedals don't often sound as good, series "gives you all the signal" (if that makes sense?) - I think on the Egnator it is in parallel, so you might be alright.

Another option would be to use a true bypass looper to engage/disengage the mustang as and when you want it.

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GIJoe said:
    I suppose it would depend on it being a series or parallel effects loop.  
    Good point.  I always think of fx loops as serial - forgot there was such a thing as a parallel loop :o