Fly rig 5 - best dual purpose gig backup?

What's Hot
paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
edited October 2018 in FX
I always take a backup amp to gigs, but no form of backup for my pedal board. 

So I started wondering about the best product that I could use as both a backup pedal board into an amp and as a backup amp (albeit) to D.I into the pa. 

How is good/bad is the fly rig 5? What’s the best version ? 

What are my other possible options ? I don’t really want to get into helix levels of menu bashing so I guess I’m looking at analogue pedals ? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited October 2018
    Richie Kotzen has a signature fly rig. Couldn't be that bad.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I have one I bought as a backup for my helix, sounds very good indeed but going to get a HX Stomp instead.

its hardly been used so if you are interested it’s for sale  £150 posted
  • The normal fly rig 5 sounds great through a PA.
    You can pick them up for about 120 and up.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    John_A said:
    I have one I bought as a backup for my helix, sounds very good indeed but going to get a HX Stomp instead.
    It does appear that the HX Stomp has just shut down every other portable fly/DI rig alternative unless the objective is super cheap or biased against digital!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31924
    I use a Flyrig 5, the plexi version. It works way better than anything digital I've tried, and crucially for a rarely used backup system you can tweak it on the fly. 

I use the boost, the overdrive and the tap tempo delay as part of my regular pedalboard, so I always have it with me rather than carrying it as an extra. 

I've owned or used various Sansamp pedals in the past and they all had a weird, ugly overtone to their speaker simulation which you can't ignore once you've noticed it - the Flyrig doesn't have it, it's very natural sounding through a typical PA. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    edited October 2018
    p90fool said:
    I use a Flyrig 5, the plexi version. It works way better than anything digital I've tried, and crucially for a rarely used backup system you can tweak it on the fly. 

I've owned or used various Sansamp pedals ...... and it's very natural sounding through a typical PA. 
    Great feedback/opinion thanks for the info
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16375
    I was watching some of the R J Ronquillo stuff on YouTube and he will do fly gigs with the Mooer Red Truck. That's kind of soul/ blues stuff I think. He just didn't like the tuner ( although I think the FlyRig doesn't have one at all?). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • "Mooer Red Truck"   ooh interesting...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• "Mooer Red Truck"   ooh interesting...

Definity interesting-  but the FR5 should  be better quality effects no? Plus the mooer direct to desk is via headphone out 
    edited October 2018
    John_A said:

its hardly been used so if you are interested it’s for sale  £150 posted
    A bit more research needed but looks like I’ll be in touch @John_A ;;;
  • I like mine.  Never really used it direct into a pa. As a mini pedal board it works well, and I've preferred it to a couple of nice boutique drives and a good delay pedal into the front of an amp for some recent gigs, purely on the ground of convenience.  The Sansamp section can substantially cheer up many tired/old/cheap rehearsal studio amps.

I am very intrigued by the HX Stomp though.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • On reflection I'm at a loss as to why I would favour either of these over my Line 6 HD500X
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• On reflection I'm at a loss as to why I would favour either of these over my Line 6 HD500X
    Maybe the simplicity and familiarity of analogue over the perceived complexity of digital? Horses for courses I guess...
  • FezFez Frets: 541
    The Fly Rig is currently high on my gear I must try list. The new Paul Landers sig looks pretty good with an xlr o/p as well as standard jack. Still no FX loop though.
    Don't touch that dial.
    edited October 2018
    Damn you Pete Thorn - his review of the FR5 is pretty compelling 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31924
    The Pete Thorn one is good, but it was this guy informally running through some Blackmore riffs which sold it to me. 

There's no studio trickery here, this is exactly what mine sounds like through my JBL Eon PA. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Maybe the simplicity and familiarity of analogue over the perceived complexity of digital? Horses for courses I guess...
    I hear you.. but I'd want a tuner.. wah.. vol control.. etc

The HD500X is fairly easy tbh..
    My trading feedback

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16375
    On reflection I'm at a loss as to why I would favour either of these over my Line 6 HD500X

If it's something that lives in your gig bag and gets pulled out every two years whilst you are already in a panicked situation then simplicity FTW! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    On reflection I'm at a loss as to why I would favour either of these over my Line 6 HD500X

If it's something that lives in your gig bag and gets pulled out every two years whilst you are already in a panicked situation then simplicity FTW! 
    Totally agree with that,