Eric Clapton: Hero or zero?

What's Hot

Comments

• To me he is a great musician, ie someone who really thinks about what's right for song and plays just that. For an average blues guitarist, he has a very impressive back catalogue of great classic songs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    I think he comes across as a bit of an arsehole..............
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1822
    I have listened to Clapton all my life and there have been times I can take him or leave him. As said he is not a players player from a technical stand point but across the years he has knocked out more good tunes than most. Nobody can produce gold year after year its against nature but across a very long career there has been some good stuff. 

I finally went to see him when he toured with Derek Trucks (mostly to see Trucks) and had ticket for Santana the next night and if anybody had said Clapton would win me over and Carlos would sound like a fake parody, I would have never believed then but Eric had some magic moments and I really enjoyed his playing with a really great band.

I really could not care what was said by Clapton at his legendary pisshead stage, these days he has got sober and helps other people get sober.

In these over politically correct times it seems people want to make the rantings of drunk man the total sum of his life.

If that was his true nature I doubt people like Cray or Buddy Guy, etc would have worked with or shared a stage with him for all those years.

Ultimately people will make their own decisions
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Deijavoo said:
    Personally I don't rate his playing and really dislike his songs.

I just wondered if I'm on my own here or if I'm a "jealous amateur that couldn't lace his boots". 

Why start this pointless thread? I quite like Clapton but I can't stand Vai, Satriani, EvH and the pointless shreddy wank brigade. However there will be plenty on this forum who disagree with me and love Vai, EvH and co and that's fine by me. There's no such thing as bad music .. you either like it or you don't .. in Clapton's defence he's sold zillions of records and many of his peers say he's influenced them.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    Because as I said, I wondered if I was on my own here with my opinion. I have read some interesting stuff, or at least stuff that I find interesting. 

If you find it pointless, then why are you reading it? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Deijavoo said:
    Because as I said, I wondered if I was on my own here with my opinion. I have read some interesting stuff, or at least stuff that I find interesting. 

Why the hero or zero? A little Daily Mail. And this is a forum so expect people to disagree with you.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962

Fretwired said:
    Deijavoo said:

Why the hero or zero? A little Daily Mail. And this is a forum so expect people to disagree with you.
    'Cause the other thread going into detail about Clappo's "Enoch was right" comments threw up some fairly polarised opinions. He wanted to know whether that was reflected in views about the man's music as well.

To be fair to @Deijavoo I do think that Clappo is one of those performers who do split opinions. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    It was Beano and Cream that first got me to pick up a guitar which I bet is true for a whole load of 50-something guitarists. (Although TBH I listen to Cream these days and see three great musicians in search of a decent tune.)

As others have pointed out you really have to put him into the context of the time. Clapton himself has as good as said that in those days (before readily available tabs, lessons on YouTube, colleges offering courses in rock music etc) pretty much anybody with a grasp of a few chords and some sense of rhythm could get in a band. Guitar playing has moved on since then with new techniques such as shredding, tapping, etc. However, Clapton still turns out some decent enough albums, has had a fifty year career, and even now can still get the hairs on the back of your neck to stand on end (even if a bit less often these days). So hero from me.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    Fretwired said:
    Deijavoo said:

I agreed that maybe "hero or zero" was a little too black and white earlier up there. Let me offer my deepest apologies that I didn't make that any clearer for you to see. 

I expect people to disagree with me, hence offering my opinion on his music and asking the question. Maybe having a little debate about music rather than forum politics. 

Anything else bugging you here? 

• When he had his moments, they were amazing (layla riff, even if the song is a bit pants... And White Room/Bearded rainbow bullshit song are fantastic). 

Other than that, I can't say I love him.  But writing one great song makes you pretty great, and he's had at least 2.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I love what he did with Cream - mostly for the songs.
    I don't love his solo work. 
    He's an OK guitar player, average at best. Tone's alright though I wouldn't be able to pick him apart from others really. 
    But I would say "Old Sock" is a very fitting album title from his most recent output and describes the bland nature of (a lot of) his work (as per my personal opinion) :P 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    mcsdan said:
    Early stuff is very good. He has got complacent and just sounds a bit boring and the same.
    This, but he not only got complacent, he got pickled in drink and drugs.  The songwriting gives you a clue as to why:  he's a very sentimental chap.

You can't argue with what he's achieved, and I admire him greatly even though I lost interest in his music after Cream.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I think he occupied a space in music history and his experiences and life is a roller coaster few of us could hold on through.

I don't have a great deal of reverance for him, I had a lot of preconceptions about him growing up - compared to Hendrix, judging the whole Patty Boyd thing (I was a real prig then), the news reports, Wonderful Tonight... but I Feel Free did set my hair alight when I heard it.. and still does, I'd like to find more of his stuff that did.

I don't think any of our finest musicians would be comfortable being called a hero, he's lived an epic life and inspired so many what other word could you choose?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Clapton's a bit like coffee, awful without Cream.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • luscombeluscombe Frets: 155
    Yeah but he also had a pop at the Arabs and he's never worked with any Saudi blues legends has he? 

Anyone who has a pop at Arabs (or any Muslims) is OK in my book. Islam is the curse of the modern world and is universally hated by every civillised country.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Beano & Cream for me too. One of the main reasons I like Gibson guitars and Marshall amplifiers.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    If you did a list of Most Influential Electric Guitarists (don't know how you'd gather the stats on that!) I suspect Clappo would be in the top 10 every time.

As others have said his playing was relatively straightforward so anybody can do a bit of Clapton ( I had a landlady whose entire repertoire on the guitar consisted of the riff to Sunshine of Your Love) and then get into the detail of it as they see fit. Some of his guitar tones are pretty much reference points still today (Beano album, Cream stuff) and he influenced others who themselves became major rock stars ( Eddie Van Halen comes to mind). 

Much as he has made some odd personal decisions ( but how many people at his age could look back and say they haven't to some degree?)and recorded some right old shite he has made good and classic records. But, yes, they often need seeing in the context of the times.

Clappo has also been generally very good ( especially in comparison to others) at crediting his influences ( how many people have gone back and listened to Freddie King or Robert Johnson because Eric talked about them/ recorded their tunes?), fostering newish talent and supporting older blues guys.

I think his decision to focus more on singing and structured songs was a perfectly intelligent thing to do and gave him a sustained career and he had really given up on being a Guitar Hero by the time he came out of Cream.

I don't think I have anyone I call a musical hero other than with a very small h but he would be in there if I did even if just because he lead me to Freddie King.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    On the racist stuff - those of old enough will remember what passed for comedy gold on the TV in the 1970s.  Those weren't extreme views for the time.  Rock Against Racism weren't even around then. He's a long time collaborator with the likes of Buddy Guy, BB King, Greg Phillingaines and Nathan East - I'd say that he must have explained things to them and made his peace with it all.  It does get dragged out by the Clapton Haters though on a regular basis.

He's had a long and successful career, I thought the Cream reunion a couple of years back proved he can still cut the mustard when challenged, he just doesn't get challenged that much these days.  He's probably due another Renaissance in his career - he was pretty much washed up before Live Aid - but oddly the pre-Live Aid records are the ones I like best - Slowhand, Backless, Money & Cigarettes etc.  
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Rock Against Racism was formed to combat Eric and his rant wasn't it?  

@luscombe please tell me that is sarcasm? 

I'm not religious, but have met plenty wonderful people of many varying religions.  

Humour over hatred every time I say. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    I was completely obsessed with his Bluesbreakers and Cream output in my early 20s. I had Badge and Crossroads transcribed by my teacher at the time and they form the building blocks of my pentatonic soloing style. They both have that great switch between minor and major pents he did really well. Great tones too.

Like @erictheweary he led me to Freddie King and latterly Doyle Bramhall, Trucks etc.

A big hero of mine.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"