Schaller trem knife edge replacement

So the Schaller bridge on my Jackson isn't holding its tuning any longer. It's the original bridge so it's done well for 25 years.

I've seen that you can replace the knife edges, has any one done that? if so how?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    This is there floyd isn't it ?    I have never had any problem with this floyd even though it isn't the top one with the hardened base plate , i don't really notice any difference to the normal one .   I think this is actually a good idea and Schaller even mention how you can replace the inserts .  However i have often wondered this and have never been able to find anyone that sells them .   I have never needed to replace them so far but you would think as Schaller tell you they are replaceable that you could get spares .
        I wonder if they would send them out direct if you email them ?
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    I did find a place that sells them, need to check my bookmarks on my pc for them.

I tried pulling them out last night and unfortunately they didn't budge at all. No idea how you're supposed to get them out. Think I might have to bite the bullet and just get a replacement trem at some point
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Stevepage said:
    I did find a place that sells them, need to check my bookmarks on my pc for them.

I tried pulling them out last night and unfortunately they didn't budge at all. No idea how you're supposed to get them out. Think I might have to bite the bullet and just get a replacement trem at some point

Somebody online said they had to use a Blowtorch. 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1247
    Are these the correct knife edges - https://schaller.info/en/replacement-kits-for-tremolos/394/tremolo-knife-edges-schaller-tremolo-2000?c=39 ?

Looks like a good pair of suitably sized mole grips, and some brute force will be required.