Is it bad...

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10401

I've no spare funds this month,but I have got some spare bricks left over from our recent building work.I'll pop a couple in the post for you.

Hope this helps.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3159
    If this works I'm going to set up a Go Fund my Christmas Beer campaign.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10401

I've no spare funds this month,but I have got some spare bricks left over from our recent building work.I'll pop a couple in the post for you.

Hope this helps.

Scrap that.The postage is too much.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    I have created a Go Fund Me on your behalf:

https://www.gofundme.com/gvuud-garage-fund
    HE FKN HAS TOO!!! LOL

Jimmy @octatonic , you are the gift that keeps giving, and that gift is laughter.  Thank you x
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16278
    What has this world come to ?.........Go fund me ?   ...............Go Fuck off ,more like .
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Shrews said:
    If this works I'm going to set up a Go Fund my Christmas Beer campaign.
    Get in the queue, I've got a mortgage that you guys 'n' gals need to pay for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Lestratcaster , thanks for telling us about the tip that we're supposed to give GoFundMe!  
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4780
    edited October 2018
    Sporky said:
    Yes but I may ask for voluntary contributions as I haven’t raised fees with some for years. So rather than raise when it’s built and finished why not ask for an extra few quid per month til it’s built an open for service.
    You should write "BIZNIZ PLAN" in crayon at the top of this so it sounds more legit.
    I think you'll find that to be a (ahem) Limp Bizniz Plan.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5441
    To answer the OP posed, I wouldn't say it's bad but the average bear is likely to think it's taking the piss a bit (see rest of thread).

However that in no way means you shouldn't do it. Give it a whirl and see what happens, there's nowt so strange as folk, and you might get lucky.

In semi-related news, many, many moons ago a friend of mine ran an ad in the Help Me bit of Private Eye.  Simply said "20p for a cup of tea?" (which ages it nicely).

He got about £1.40 and a few tea bags ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4780
    edited October 2018
    Snags said:
    To answer the OP posed, I wouldn't say it's bad but the average bear is likely to think it's taking the piss a bit (see rest of thread).

However that in no way means you shouldn't do it. Give it a whirl and see what happens, there's nowt so strange as folk, and you might get lucky.

In semi-related news, many, many moons ago a friend of mine ran an ad in the Help Me bit of Private Eye.  Simply said "20p for a cup of tea?" (which ages it nicely).

That "20p for a cup of tea" line comes across as charming and fun.  I think the issue is with the "£15k for a garage conversion" is that people are concerned that the OP is going to flip the garage and make some sweet skrilla at our expense.  :P 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    duotone said:
    Isn’t there a website where people contribute & then you give something back to the ‘funders’ after the goal has been reached?
    like free guitar lessons for life as a n example!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Why not just review your student fees, bring them inline with the service you're offering and (assuming that means they are higher) put the extra to one side for this purpose?

Despite it being cheeky, I don't think there's anything wrong with asking people as long as you are transparent about it. It's up the individual if they want to chip in.
    I get what you're saying, just in the past when I've put current student's fees up some have quit and I can't afford to lose anyone right now. For new learners however I do put the fees up.

And yes as I said before its voluntary so if they don't want to they don't have to.
  • Snags said:

Haha even if it went towards a lightbulb getting covered I'd be happy! I might give it a go not sure now I kinda think its a bad idea.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24652
    To be blunt, if you can't see that asking people to fund your home improvements is wrong, you're a ****.

I don't know about 'Go Fund Me'.....   My reaction is more 'Go F*** Yourself'.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5441
    Snags said:

That "20p for a cup of tea" line comes across as charming and fun.  I think the issue is with the "£15k for a garage conversion" is that people are concerned that the OP is going to flip the garage and make some sweet skrilla at our expense.  :P 
    Oh, absolutely, but it's the old "Don't ask, don't get" situation, and I'm often amazed what having a bit of a brass neck can blag you.  I wouldn't ever have the nerve, but hats off to anyone willing to give it a go.

Worth remembering that Lestratcaster hasn't actually asked anyone here to chip in, he just asked if it was bad that he was thinking about doing a GoFundMe for it.  Seeing what some people have the cojones to put on GoFundMe, I'd say set one up and see what happens.  Nothing to lose but a bit of time and not being able to show your face in polite society :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    Emp_Fab said:
    To be blunt, if you can't see that asking people to fund your home improvements is wrong, you're a ****.

I don't know about 'Go Fund Me'.....   My reaction is more 'Go F*** Yourself'.
    Mr Subtle strikes again.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:

It takes one to know one!  :P 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Bad? As in "will it tarnish my reputation in an online environment in which I also advertise my business?" bad?

• DLM said:

Bad? As in "will it tarnish my reputation in an online environment in which I also advertise my business?" bad?

A bad idea! Lol.
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    Many years ago I worked in a company that had, shall we say, lost it's way a little and the staff were leaving at quite an alarming rate.

Having got annoyed at so many 'leaving collection' envelopes going around the office I started my own and promised to quit if the contents of the envelope reached £100.  A sort of leaving fund rather than a leaving collection.

All I got was some loose change, old buttons, used bus tickets and a ticking off from management about my less than professional attitude and behaviour.

If only they had thought of 'Go Fund Me' 30 years ago I might have got more.....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom