Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is it bad...

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12294
    I feel like if we went in Lestratcasters garage the door would lock behind us and a little creepy clown on a tricycle would appear and ask if we wanted to play a torture themed game.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1117
    edited October 2018
    dbphoto said:
    @Lestratcaster seems to be reluctant to confirm who owns the garage and house it is attached to?

Possibly due to the reaction he will get if it is not actually his.

Then again, given he asked the original question he probably doesn’t see the problem there.
    The house and garage belong to my parents. And its not attached to the house. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I still live with them, but there you go now you all know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    I feel like if we went in Lestratcasters garage the door would lock behind us and a little creepy clown on a tricycle would appear and ask if we wanted to play a torture themed game.
    How much have you donated?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3683
    In fairness , 15k to convert a garage? Into what exactly? The Millennium Falcon? 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmo said:
    In fairness , 15k to convert a garage? Into what exactly? The Millennium Falcon? 
    There's alot of work needed to be done to it and we wasn't aware of that when we first considered. The garage is real bare bones, bricks and mortar.

But after today's development we may not even need to touch £15k so that's why a fund campaign isn't needed.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12487
    dbphoto said:
    @Lestratcaster seems to be reluctant to confirm who owns the garage and house it is attached to?

Then again, given he asked the original question he probably doesn’t see the problem there.
    The house and garage belong to my parents. And its not attached to the house. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I still live with them, but there you go now you all know.
    Now see,if you’d said you wanted the money to build a wankshed to spend private time away from your mum and dad, you’d have probably got about a grand donated already.  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    dbphoto said:

Now see,if you’d said you wanted the money to build a wankshed to spend private time away from your mum and dad, you’d have probably got about a grand donated already.  ;)
    Haha, in more than one "donation"
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Fair do's @Lestratcaster , no shame to living with your parents, it's not easy to get the money together for a house deposit these days.
    I shall now remove my snout from your business and good luck with it.
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    No need to feel embarrassed for living at your parents @Lestratcaster

You have considered renting a space instead right?  and putting the £15k in to your savings for a deposit at some point?

My office (280 sq/ft) costs me just £2940 per year in rent and service charges.
    Yeah man, nothing wrong with living with the rents, Unless you are in your mid 40's or something and have a silly beard , pull your trousers up to your nipples over your tucked in jumper and have never kissed a girl, then yeah, you have some issues. 

Here is the thing though, dont pay to have the rents garage converted, save up , get your own place, have that converted, or , if you want to do things with music tuition/work shops find a venue/premises, a community centre or something like that. 
  • dbphoto said:
    No need to feel embarrassed for living at your parents @Lestratcaster

You have considered renting a space instead right?  and putting the £15k in to your savings for a deposit at some point?

My office (280 sq/ft) costs me just £2940 per year in rent and service charges.
    Thanks mate.

I have, and to house share with a mate of mine cos he's also a musician and int he same predicament. I'm just worried about the instability of income with the tuition which is why I have the safety net of living at home. Also if mum and dad sell the house one day the conversion at the back will add £10k to the value of the house.

Not even sure £15k will be enough to secure a deposit and help me live whilst I sort out my finances?
  • robgilmo said:
    Yeah man, nothing wrong with living with the rents, Unless you are in your mid 40's or something and have a silly beard , pull your trousers up to your nipples over your tucked in jumper and have never kissed a girl, then yeah, you have some issues. 

Here is the thing though, dont pay to have the rents garage converted, save up , get your own place, have that converted, or , if you want to do things with music tuition/work shops find a venue/premises, a community centre or something like that. 
    No a long way off that for sure. The rents are actually splitting the cost between us, they'll now pay half of it so I can actually save a bit of what I initially had for my own place (and adding to it obviously). 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    If @Lestratcaster is in London even saving a deposit for a flat would be daunting let alone a house with garage for megabucks. Without moving a long way from London it’s a pretty hopeless situation for anyone (other than the well-heeled) to get on the property ladder. Living with parents can be the only option for some.
  • Jimbro66 said:
    If @Lestratcaster is in London even saving a deposit for a flat would be daunting let alone a house with garage for megabucks. Without moving a long way from London it’s a pretty hopeless situation for anyone (other than the well-heeled) to get on the property ladder. Living with parents can be the only option for some.
    Yes and that's why if I get this garage done and charge a bit more I can rake in a bit more into savings to eventually get a place. If it fails at least I am still at home and would have to start again.
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    I meant rent a space for your business @Lestratcaster ;

Keep living where you are so you can continue to save, rent a small suitable space for your business and see where you go, then hopefully in a year or two you will have a thriving business and bank account to buy your own home.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphoto said:
    I meant rent a space for your business @Lestratcaster ;

Keep living where you are so you can continue to save, rent a small suitable space for your business and see where you go, then hopefully in a year or two you will have a thriving business and bank account to buy your own home.
    I have looked into that but can't seem to find anywhere near me. It would be great though to have a separate premises which still looks professional and high quality away from my home.
    Keep looking fella, are you earning enough to pay a mortgage? or even to get one in the first place? With a proper premises it doesnt have to end at tuition, there is lots of things you can do. 
  • robgilmo said:
    Keep looking fella, are you earning enough to pay a mortgage? or even to get one in the first place? With a proper premises it doesnt have to end at tuition, there is lots of things you can do. 
    Not currently as the numbers are dipping esp with the Christmas period coming up. I have been applying for jobs and such but not much luck. Most recent was at a youth centre doing band workshop stuff. I guess if the business folds and I was using a premises I only lose out on the business rent charges.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15769
    edited October 2018
    robgilmo said:
    15,000? we could almost buy our own garage for that.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

robgilmo said:
    Not currently as the numbers are dipping esp with the Christmas period coming up. I have been applying for jobs and such but not much luck. Most recent was at a youth centre doing band workshop stuff. I guess if the business folds and I was using a premises I only lose out on the business rent charges.

Working as a youth leader wont ever bring in much money, well , it didn't 20 odd years ago! I think most people who do tuition do it as a side line dont they?