Clapton - May 2019

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
Anyone else going? 

After 2.5hrs of refreshing the seating plan I was lucky to get two seats for the Monday in the choir seats. 

Venues really need need to do something about ticket touts. Instantly they are on sale on these sites for 4x the face value. Not ideal for fans at all. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Albert Hall ?
    “Ken sent me.”
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    i know - i was instantly 6000 in the queue. By my turn there were none left
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    Having seen him at Hyde Park this year, I’d have loved to go - but an over-nighter in London is an expensive undertaking.

I really ought to see him at the RAH - it always strikes me as synonymous with EC. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Having seen him at Hyde Park this year, I’d have loved to go - but an over-nighter in London is an expensive undertaking.

I really ought to see him at the RAH - it always strikes me as synonymous with EC. 
    Premier Inn in Bromley is £40 a night if you book far enough ahead.  Fares to/from RAH are about £9.  That's not excessive.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    edited October 2018
    Barnezy said:
    Anyone else going? 

After 2.5hrs of refreshing the seating plan I was lucky to get two seats for the Monday in the choir seats. 

Venues really need need to do something about ticket touts. Instantly they are on sale on these sites for 4x the face value. Not ideal for fans at all. 
    I logged on yesterday at 9.50 and was number 899 in the queue.  Patiently waited my turn and put in the wrong password.  Kicked out of system straight away.  Logged in again and was 1358 in the queue.  Waited patiently again to be told it was sold out finally.  Grrrr.

Re ticketing, I'm going to see Larkin Poe next month and the tickets are on my phone and totally untransferrable except at the marked price, and to another subscriber, or they will be deleted.   I suppose cash could change hands as well but the system seems reasonably clever.
  • PS66PS66 Frets: 20

I've seen him a lot over the years and I really wish he would change the set up a bit..he'll put in maybe one or 2 different songs from the previous tour but songs like Crossroads, Wonderful tonight, Little Queen of Spades and I shot the Sheriff could really be changed as they sound tired to me..or maybe its me that's tired. I fully understand not everyone has seen him before and will want to hear Wonderful Tonight but I see a lot of people using it for taking a pee..me included. I've spent the last few days listening to his Christmas album and he really has done a great job on it....IMHO 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2018
    What songs will Brian be playing, or is he just doing backing?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
    It’s a shame you didn’t stick at it, they released extra tickets at 11ish, that’s how I got mine. 

I saw him at RAH before with Winwood. Bought the ticket from a guy at face value on the day of the concert. Couldn’t believe my luck. I was completely awestruck at being there and seeing him play live in such a small venue.

I get the point about the set list, but I wonder how many more of these he will do. He’s 73 now and should have been dead about 40 years ago. Any chance to see him now, is a great one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Saw him at the RAH on the From the Cradle tour then the tour after that too. Great venue and both gigs were so much better than subsequently seeing him at the Manchester Arena.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
    I think that’s a bit harsh. He’s a real musician, who probably wants to be taking things somewhere else, but unfortunately and as with all megastars, most fans just want to hear the hits.  

If you want to hear something progressive in the bluesy side, have you come across Ben Poole yet? He’s playing at the Half Moon in Putney on 12th Dec. Only came across him recently. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I should have seen him years ago at the RAH. But never got round to it. Made harder when his shows sold out PDQ.

Showing my age, I did see EC live when he played with Roger Waters on the Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking Tour. Unfortunately he wasn't playing the blues, and was hobbled by what Waters made him play. Travesty.
    edited July 2020
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    gringopig said:

Clapton stopped taking things somewhere else quite early on in the 1970's and concentrated fully on getting hammered and playing solos a semi-tone sharp for quite some time (I was there!)
    he has been coasting along now basking in his guitar superstar glow for a long time and I'm sure he earned it.
    disagree.

never, ever, ever, want to hear 'wonderful tonight' under any circumstances, but from the cradle era is back to his best and his development as a vocalist, slide player are not done easily and have continued. guy is a fuckin legend
  • PS66PS66 Frets: 20
    gringopig said:

Clapton stopped taking things somewhere else quite early on in the 1970's and concentrated fully on getting hammered and playing solos a semi-tone sharp for quite some time (I was there!)
    he has been coasting along now basking in his guitar superstar glow for a long time and I'm sure he earned it.
    disagree.

never, ever, ever, want to hear 'wonderful tonight' under any circumstances, but from the cradle era is back to his best and his development as a vocalist, slide player are not done easily and have continued. guy is a fuckin legend

Agreed on "from the cradle era is back to his best"...some serious playing from him!! 
    edited July 2020

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    if tickets come up for the RAH gigs, I'd love to hear about it as missed out, and I think it would be a real treat to see in 2019
    gringopig said:
    I used to really like Clapton but I started to play 'From the Cradle' on YouTube and it was an instant 'close tab' as soon as heard some hackneyed old Elmore James riffs and saw that the track listing contained 'Hoochie Coochie man'.

That was the whole fucking point of the album....................................................................
    edited July 2020