Blimey you don't see that often

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
Just enjoying Bowie at Glastonbury 2000  Bbc4. Mark plati and Gail Ann Dorsey swap duties on bass and rhythm guitar at one point. Just saying you don't see that often
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Gail is one hell of a guitar player, it’s well worth checking out her Solo album, Corporate World 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72351
    I don't really know why, but I've always found that irritating and contrived. I play guitar and bass, and I've played in bands with other players who also do, but I would never swap instruments mid-gig.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I know this was from a long time ago and I’ve told the story before but watching Deep Purple and Blackmore and Glover swapped instruments for Smoke on the Water. 
    I don’t think we had a guitar solo and maybe it was silly but it was definitely memorable. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72351
    I know this was from a long time ago and I’ve told the story before but watching Deep Purple and Blackmore and Glover swapped instruments for Smoke on the Water. 
    I don’t think we had a guitar solo and maybe it was silly but it was definitely memorable. 
    I've seen a video of U2 doing it as well.

All it proved was that Adam Clayton isn't as good a guitarist as The Edge and Edge isn't as good a bassist as Clayton. (And I do think both of them are very good at what they normally do.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    Straight swapping seems a bit pointless.

Switching to serve the music is another entirely different reason to do so.

Check out this great guitarist/bassist in a (frankly exceptional) live studio performance.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    The Hamsters used to do it at every gig, playing Sharp Dressed Man. Guitarist and bassist would swap first, then guitarist would go on drums and drummer onto bass. It was quite amusing. The bassist is good on guitar and the guitarist started off as a drummer so both were very competent. The drummer only had to play three notes on the bass of course and had the right frets marked with tape to start with. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rsvmark said:
    Just enjoying Bowie at Glastonbury 2000  Bbc4. Mark plati and Gail Ann Dorsey swap duties on bass and rhythm guitar at one point. Just saying you don't see that often
    Got around to watching this, great show. I was wondering why I don’t remember it from 2000 then realised my big lump of a son was born in April 2000 so I probably had my mind on other things at the time. 
    The full version of this set about to come out on DVD, CD, etc, by the way.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    boogieman said:
    The Hamsters used to do it at every gig, playing Sharp Dressed Man. Guitarist and bassist would swap first, then guitarist would go on drums and drummer onto bass. It was quite amusing. The bassist is good on guitar and the guitarist started off as a drummer so both were very competent. The drummer only had to play three notes on the bass of course and had the right frets marked with tape to start with. 
    That would make a good thread - suggestions of easy songs that guitar players (who don’t usually play any other instrument) could have a dig at. Ones with simple bass lines and very basic drumbeats etc.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30922
    Alistair and I have been known to switch instruments mid performance, yes.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30922
    This far and no one mentioned Sheila E and Prince? Shame on you.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    rsvmark said:
    Got around to watching this, great show. I was wondering why I don’t remember it from 2000 then realised my big lump of a son was born in April 2000 so I probably had my mind on other things at the time. 
    The full version of this set about to come out on DVD, CD, etc, by the way.
    I was there and I can't really remember it.  Something to do with scrumpy.
  • vizviz Frets: 10696
    boogieman said:
    Just after Slim had walked through the crowd playing the guitar behind his head :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12366
    Gomez changed instruments a lot when I saw them too, and were all seemingly brilliant at everything.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Waters and Snowy White during the Animals tour.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4261
    Gassage said:
    Alistair and I have been known to switch instruments mid performance, yes.
    I believe that once you have mastered the Pink Oboe, the technique translates easily to the Horn?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I've seen Dream Theater a couple of times in the old days when they would come on and do an encore all playing different instruments! They called that band 'Nightmare cinema', it was Petrucci on drums, Portnoy on bass, Sherinian on guitar and Myung on keyboards. A bit of fun!
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Jethro Tull used to do it all the time, they were all talented multi instrumentalists.
    proggy said:
    Jethro Tull used to do it all the time, they were all talented multi instrumentalists.
    Reminded me of seeing Dave Pegg in Fairport Convention, lot of that going on with them.