Static from scratchplate

What's Hot
Here's another poser for you guys.  Earlier this year I got myself a really nice Fender Tele and I couldn't be much happier with it.  However, it builds up static and develops a scratchy noise as my fingers brush the scratch plate.  After a bit of Googling I think this might be something to do with the nitrocellulose finish on the bod of the guitar.  The solution (after more Googling) was to get some Bounce anti-static sheets (the ones you put in a tumble drier) and rub the scratch plate down with that and the problem resolves for a few days but then returns.  So it's not a massive big deal but I did wonder if there was any more permanent solution ... a mate suggested using shielding tape on the back of the scratch plate but not sure if this would work or not.  Any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lewismlewism Frets: 250
    edited October 2018
    I remember reading about this somewhere, it’s probably not actually static. If the pick guard is tight around the pickup it can rub and stick, causing creaking that can sound like static, especially if the guard is slightly warped - might be worth looking at that before going for shielding etc that may not solve the issue.
  • lewism said:
    I remember reading about this somewhere, it’s probably not actually static. If the pick guard is tight around the pickup it can rub and stick, causing creaking that can sound like static, especially if the guard is slightly warped - might be worth looking at that before going for shielding etc that may not solve the issue.
    I've double checked and definitely not a creaking sound and nothing catching ... I'm pretty sure it is static as it disappears after rubbing with the Bounce anti-static sheet.  Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    Shielding foil does work. You also need to put a small piece on the body under the end of the control plate so both the plate and the pickguard foil press down onto it, to complete the connection.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922

IIRC someone also said that roughing up the back of the scratchplate helps disconnect it from the body so that static won't build up (not tried it myself yet).
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    I had it on a new Baja .I ran a piece of foil  from control plate to pickguard which made it better.In the end it just went which makes me wonder whether  some air moisture crept in at some point and it eventually  dried out .
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    Lick your fingers then touch the scratchplate.... The static should disappear....
  • tone1 said:
    Lick your fingers then touch the scratch plate.... The static should disappear....
    Genius ... this actually works ...  and surely a lesson in life: if in doubt lick it and things will get better!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 641
    edited October 2018
    I've a Les Paul Special that's ridiculously prone to static. Copper tape under the pickguard cured it there and I even had to put a bit under the bridge P90 cover.
  • Is it a normal Tele? I had this issue on my Tele FSR (a Tele Deluxe with a small headstock) and it was dreadful with noise whenever my hand touched the plastic scratchplate until I shielded the entire cavity with conducting copper foil. Now 100% quiet.  
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    jed2718 said:
    tone1 said:
    Lick your fingers then touch the scratch plate.... The static should disappear....
    Genius ... this actually works ...  and surely a lesson in life: if in doubt lick it and things will get better!
    LOL...Hopefully you can see that by signing up to the Fretboard, it can only make your life better, unfortunately your bank balance might not fare so well..... :)
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Figured I'd resurrect this as I've just experienced this too! 

Only seemed apparent after I cleaned the guitar for the first time. Used some dunlop spray cleaner and a microfiber finishing cloth to buff. 

Only happens at the bottom, where your fingers rest, not at the top.. gonna have to try these methods!  
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ICBM said:
    Shielding foil does work. You also need to put a small piece on the body under the end of the control plate so both the plate and the pickguard foil press down onto it, to complete the connection.
    I had the static issue on a Tele and this solution worked for me a treat.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 982
    I've had the same problem on several teles Inc my current mij fender.

I find that if I wipe the scratchplate with one of them bounce anti static sheets that you put in a tumble dryer it fixes it. 

I usually end up doing it every couple of months. 

Makes it smell nice too
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    I have it on a Les Paul........done all shielding (paint and foil) better but still very obvious.......drives me nuts
    Sheets of Bounce work for 20 minutes but need wiping down again soon after