Nitro Checking

What's Hot
D28boyD28boy Frets: 6
I love to see this and I have an 87 Black Les Paul and a 90 V neither of which have any checking other than on the Headstock of the Lester . I've heard that it can be artificially created ut I'm not sure how. Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Hot and cold - putting the guitar in a freezer for a while followed immediately by a sauna should do it.

Failing that resort to what Tom Murphy and Gibson do, which is creating all the cracks by hand using a razor blade.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7125
    tFB Trader
    Gil Yaron used to freeze his guitars but found it weakened the hide glue joints and switched to a blade. I think that a scalpel blade is probably more controllable too.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23601

I guess with the first method you also run the risk of it cracking in ways which aren't aesthetically pleasing... I'm not chucking any of my guitars in the freezer.

I've got a couple of Gibsons aged by a bloke called Chad Underwood, he definitely used the blade method.

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    To me, while controllable, the blade method does not look authentic AT ALL. The whole idea with the crazing and cracking on vintage guitars is the random nature of it and that it's subtle thin lines. 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    edited October 2018 tFB Trader
    Well i looked at a murphy aged les paul at the show and sorry to say it looked utterly shit and over 6k, it's a joke imo

I've never heard of any freezer checking affect any guitar and those old guitars were just left in boots of cars all night then brought in and they never fell apart

If you want nitro checking you have to use the right laquer, these are recent builds I've done and they look right to me, not all nitro will check either

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16959
    I agree many TM examples of razor blade checking look absolutely terrible, but it's still my chosen method for specific styles of wear... Mixed with a bit of freezer checking for added randomness.  Sometimes its not about the method, but the way its applied   

This one was freezer checking on the left on 90's gibson nitro..  I redid it with new paint...mostly aged with a razor, but a bit of freezing to add some additional randomness

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    and for balance, a totally fake looking TM - a bad example of razor work in a very recognisable tuning fork pattern he is known for

tFB Trader
    The worst bit for me on the murphy is the side of the guitar just staight lines that look terrible, mind you i didn't like the top much either, god knows what the back looked like

I still stand by my original statement that freezer checking is the best, i won't ever do razor checking, alot of this checking is best done over a long period too when the laquer is really hard and thin, this is just my personal choice 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23601

Anyone know what method Fender use? 

I'm pretty sure it's not done with a blade, but if it's freezing they, of course, have the luxury of being able to treat necks and bodies separately.

tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

Anyone know what method Fender use? 

I'm pretty sure it's not done with a blade, but if it's freezing they, of course, have the luxury of being able to treat necks and bodies separately.

I've heard it could be the frozen air method but i can't say for sure as i don't really look at modern fenders 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    WezV said:
    and for balance, a totally fake looking TM - a bad example of razor work in a very recognisable tuning fork pattern he is known for

And for contrast, here's a genuine 1956 Gibson with lacquer checking. Notice the subtlety of the lines, how they almost fade in and out, depending on the angle you view them from and how thin and delicate they are:

IMO, regardless of how thin the blade is, this cannot be accomplished with a razor.

It's also interesting in this, and most other vintage examples, that the crazing emirates from the various dings and dints that the guitar already has. The Murphy checked guitar has none of this. 

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

I still stand by my original statement that freezer checking is the best, i won't ever do razor checking, alot of this checking is best done over a long period too when the laquer is really hard and thin, this is just my personal choice 
    I think about which method is going to give the results i want, rather than which one is better or worse.   

I even use an upside down air duster on some stuff.  At the moment I am finding that mixing 2 techniques gives me better results than either on their own.  i.e. razor checking followed by freezer cycles or freezer cycles followed by an air duster.

They can all produce terrible checking when done badly.  

I need a bigger freezer for les pauls though ;)
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    And for contrast, here's a genuine 1956 Gibson with lacquer checking. Notice the subtlety of the lines, how they almost fade in and out, depending on the angle you view them from and how thin and delicate they are:

IMO, regardless of how thin the blade is, this cannot be accomplished with a razor.

It's also interesting in this, and most other vintage examples, that the crazing emirates from the various dings and dints that the guitar already has. The Murphy checked guitar has none of this. 

Agreed and that takes alot of time to get even close to that look
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Why is ‘fake’ checking always perpendicular to the grain? My 64 335’s checking pretty much followed the grain - likewise on vintage Fenders I’ve owned. 
    WezV said:

I think about which method is going to give the results i want, rather than which one is better or worse.   

I even use an upside down air duster on some stuff.  At the moment I am finding that mixing 2 techniques gives me better results than either on their own.  i.e. razor checking followed by freezer cycles or freezer cycles followed by an air duster.

They can all produce terrible checking when done badly.  

I need a bigger freezer for les pauls though
    I would certainly agree with this. 

On many of the vintage Gibson examples I've seen, the bodies tend to have the long, thin parallel checking while on the sides and neck heel, it is far more crazed/shattered mirror like:

So I would certainly try the air duster technique to accomplish this.

As you can see though, the examples posted are a world away from the Murphy aged guitars.
    (formerly miserneil)
    miserneil said:

nah, you don;t get the same effect as that with a razor.  you also don't get it when you freeze and stain the cracks like many do

the point of showing the TM was that it is a bad example,that's how people judge the whole technique. 

If you look at my example above it, it has different wear visible from different angles and the cracks do respond to dents and dings..... but its 90% razor work.   
    Why is ‘fake’ checking always perpendicular to the grain? My 64 335’s checking pretty much followed the grain - likewise on vintage Fenders I’ve owned. 
    the thinner laminated woods of the 335 respond differently to temperature changes than  solid wood - most semi's check along the grain.

fenders - depends on the finish.  Custom colours don't age the same as sunbursts for example
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    I noticed some real checking on my 2014 R8 recently. Appears to be in the wrong direction though, no tuning fork pattern either  ;)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    terada said:
    I noticed some real checking on my 2014 R8 recently. Appears to be in the wrong direction though, no tuning fork pattern either  ;)

you often see the checking follow the grain around the control cavity, where the wood is thinner.... so it's not in the wrong direction at all
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7125
    tFB Trader
    I need a bigger freezer for les pauls though ;)
    I use the one in the off-licence across the road from me :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom