Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Selling on ebay warning

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• I'm steering clear of PayPal for this very reason. This 180 day return thing is ridiculous and wide open to abuse. A guitar that I'm selling right now hasn't shifted on here but rather than move it to Reverb or eBay I will most likely put it on consignment with a dealer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MarshallMarshall Frets: 362
    chris78 said:
    leerocker said:
    What reason is he using to return it. Certainly can't be not as described after 3 months. If you don't accept returns on eBay the only reason a buyer can request a return is if it's not as described 
    Not as described!
    He has to provide specific details about what is ‘Not as described’ and the evidence to support it. 

BUT, your money will remain locked up potentially indefinitely. You can dispute the return and launch official complaints via PP which will place the refund on hold while it is ‘investigated’, and you are definitely best to call PP in the morning weekdays when you are much more likely to go through to Ireland as mentioned above, but ultimately the whole system is stacked in favour of buyers and the ‘professionals’ out there know it  :o

When you get the guitar back you can certainly raise a case of not returned in as sold condition, and while you have that fight you have the advantage of having the guitar in your possession which does give you an advantage. It is not impossible that you win that fight but it will take time during which you could resell the guitar. On the rare occasion it can eventually work in your favour but you’ll need to be prepared for a lengthy battle!

I had an eBay shop for a bit so have a ton of experience of the ‘professional scammers’ who are ‘at it’ on eBay ; as many have noted above, the eBay - PayPal ‘relationship’ is a creature of exceptional ugliness and a breeding ground for every unscrupulous C#*nt out there, ultimately leading directly to closing my shop in disgust @ both eBay and PP’s policies which are stacked sky high in favour of the buyer.

Good luck with a happy resolution :+1:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7418
    Completely unrelated, but did you know that there are companies that will send your choice of excrement to any address you provide?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5030
    crunchman said:
    Stuff like this is why the guitar I'm selling at the moment is on consignment at Charlie Chandlers.

He will take 18% commission, but Ebay is 10%, plus 3% Paypal fees.  A reputable shop like that will get significantly more for the guitar than I can get on Ebay, so I'll probably end up seeing more money.  I also don't have to deal with the rubbish that goes with selling on Ebay.

I'll only use Ebay to sell small stuff these days as a last resort.
    Yep, @crunchman - that's a good way of doing it, I reckon, especially if you don't necessarily need a quick sale.

I am considering it as well. If you're more 'Northern', Sound Affects Premier in Ormskirk will do this as well, albeit at 20%. I've spoken to Mark at @guitars4you about it as well, and would be very happy to do that through him as well.

I've fallen out with them about something so stupid (on their part) - as partly referenced earlier in the thread, I think - and if I have a number of fairly hefty (price-wise) guitars to sell at once, I will probably do that. At the moment, the £1 commission deal makes it worthwhile to use them, but I wouldn't pay 10%, because of the hassle that you can get with chancers, scammers and timewasters. 

It would be a shame in one way, because I've met some really nice people along the way, but I think if I decided to sell most of my modest collection - modern and vintage - I've probably made enough contacts to be OK. I'd be interested to know how the sale goes for future reference. 

Call me Dave.
  • It's a shame isn't it? I remember eBay being great for finding bargains and for selling stuff easily, but all the changes they've made are just making it harder and harder to get a good experience, while increasing their cut of the profits.

You can't even leave negative feedback for a buyer any more - how ridiculous is that?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5496
    JezWynd said:
    crunchman said:
    Stuff like this is why the guitar I'm selling at the moment is on consignment at Charlie Chandlers.

He will take 18% commission, but Ebay is 10%, plus 3% Paypal fees.  A reputable shop like that will get significantly more for the guitar than I can get on Ebay, so I'll probably end up seeing more money.  I also don't have to deal with the rubbish that goes with selling on Ebay.
    I'm coming around to this way of thinking. Ebay offering £1 fees (while still getting a hefty chunk via Paypal) seems like their last hurrah before they morph into a mess of bad faith buyers, Chinese importers and general chancers with a taste for ferraris.
    Not to mention having a monthly or even bi-weekly 10 or even 15% off anything sale... the 10% ones they can probably just about break even on if they shift a lot of stuff, but 15% offers cost them money...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72977
    I used to sell on Ebay years ago.

Now I don't.

The end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2738

I had a similar experience with a transaction (although for a trivial amount of money).

The buyer initiated a Paypal charge back right at the time limit he could do this.

However, like with the OP, he had left positive feedback for the transaction, so when I got in contact with Paypal they rejected his claim.

Given the buyer has left positive feedback, I would be surprised if you can't get the return cancelled on the grounds not as described.

I also block any buyer who gives me any aggravation at all, however minor.
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 964
    crunchman said:

Something I've always wondered about is if you hand over your guitar to a shop/dealer to sell for a % commission, what happens if the guitar gets damaged while it's with them?
    AlbertC said:
    crunchman said:

Something I've always wondered about is if you hand over your guitar to a shop/dealer to sell for a % commission, what happens if the guitar gets damaged while it's with them?
    You would hope their shop insurance would cover repair or replacement... surely you would have this documented in the sale agreement.
  • Whitecat said:
    AlbertC said:
    crunchman said:

You would hope their shop insurance would cover repair or replacement... surely you would have this documented in the sale agreement.
    Or if they go bust. Bye-bye guitar...
    Whitecat said:
    AlbertC said:
    crunchman said:

Or if they go bust. Bye-bye guitar...
    Yeah, that can be a hot mess. Not completely impossible to recover from the administrators but very difficult.
  • I won't risk PayPal or eBay, but I do use Gumtree, but always insist on face to face only. Even then I get a lot of lowball offers and requests to ship all over the place, despite advertising as collection only, or meet locally.  But face to face with cash is ultimately the most reliable way, I think.