Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Would you Pay $1000 to play a burst?

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Yeah I’m not that excited for the burst either. Either of the acoustics in tier 1 would be interesting and I’d love a go on the Fender basses
    You can come to my place and play my 64 P all day for free if you like. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    Same for me - I've got a few on the list, anyone's free to drop me a line (and some have)
  • It's a 2 hour drive from Nashville, where there are about 6 shops who all have this sort of stuff in stock all the time. You'd be better off turning up looking credible to any one of those and playing a number of guitars for free.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • cost me thirty bob in petrol...

Mick Taylor, Greeny, 10cc/Mick Ralph's.

( Photo ownership/credit - Richard Henry - Pear Studios. Manchester ) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 794
    JerkMoans said:
    • Pint Glass with Complimentary Drink

Being as it's the States it's probably a soda.
    And only 16oz instead of 20 !
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Is this some kind of joke?
  • cost me thirty bob in petrol...

Mick Taylor, Greeny, 10cc/Mick Ralph's.

( Photo ownership/credit - Richard Henry - Pear Studios. Manchester ) 
    30 bob and a spare pair of pants 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    No way I'd pay that to play some knackered old guitar.

(Note: I have less than zero interest in vintage instruments)
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6831
    No-one has yet mentioned in this thread that "Pint Glass with Complimentary Drink" refers to a US pint which is 16oz as opposed to a proper UK pint which is 20oz. I'm guessing that the glass itself is a souvenir. 

• 30 bob and a spare pair of pants 
    I'm just glad someone on here knows what 30 bob is...

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6831
    I'm just glad someone on here knows what 30 bob is...
    I know what 30 bob is. You could have a really proper night out (or three actually) when I were a lad with 30/-. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No, pretty ridiculous idea. What's it cost to have a go on a £100k car nowadays?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23574
    Twinfan said:
    No way I'd pay that to play some knackered old guitar.

(Note: I have less than zero interest in vintage instruments)

I've plenty of interest in vintage guitars, but I have no real wish to own any - they cost way too much (for me) and the market is such a minefield with all the fakes and cobbled-together bitsers from dubious sources.

I might make an exception for something old but hacked about, with little intrinsic value.  Like the humbucker-loaded Melody Maker Pat Travers used to play in the late '70s (not his actual guitar, obviously).

• This is obviously catering to folks who actually have a passion for rare, high end vintage guitars and have no such access in the normal course of things, and really, $1k split between four vintage geek mates to have a professionally recorded jam with a Burst, V and Blackguard Tele sounds like a great day out to me- I’ve spent more on stimulants over a weekend in Brighton/London/Tokyo countless times with less to show.. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • This is obviously catering to folks who actually have a passion for rare, high end vintage guitars and have no such access in the normal course of things, and really, $1k split between four vintage geek mates to have a professionally recorded jam with a Burst, V and Blackguard Tele sounds like a great day out to me- I’ve spent more on stimulants over a weekend in Brighton/London/Tokyo countless times with less to show.. 
    Agreed, zero problem here with the price of admission expressed in such terms.

Conversely ,and to a lesser extent or more accurately to a non-professional extent, this stuff has been going on for a while amongst the enthusiasts in the UK, John's Marshall shoot out in Londinium, and The LPF UK meets in the Norf spring to mind. 'Bursts at em all.

The over arching driver of these non-profit events is the absolute grace of the owners, the archetypal idea of the mad collector counting their 'Bursts in blissful isolation in some secure vault is frankly laughed to scorn by the realities. An awful lot of fun to be had for nowt in the Vintage dodge. 

A great Pal of mine for instance put a 57 Special in my hands early this year, for a couple of months. Modest in terms of ££ value in comparison to a 6 figure 'Burst, but I can't remember the last time I enjoyed playing a specific guitar from this era so much. It's now back with it's original owner and re-finisher, and quite right too. It's a brilliant guitar. 

Didn't cost me a penny, can't over emphasize the value of the grace of the loan. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6171
    What a naff idea, the 'Rock Star' session doesn't even include sniffing coke off a stripper's tits. These guys have no idea.  :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    edited November 2018
    I’ve got two of the guitars in tier 1.

I’ll let you come and play them for £50 and I’ll throw in a can of Super Tenants in a mug. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    If i had to pay to look at any vintage guitars I'd never have looked at any because I'm always broke
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    I’ve spent more on stimulants over a weekend in Brighton/London/Tokyo countless times with less to show.. 
    Really?

Like I said fools and money...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d love to spend some time with some real Korina, and hope to see if Joe B will let me have a gander next round :-)