Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anderton's Vertex video

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8842
    After 800+ posts, the TGP thread finally got locked. People kept violating the rules - which is incidentally a great technique for shutting down a conversation of a topic you don't like. 
    People who try that on this forum can find themselves banned. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GT said:
    After 800+ posts, the TGP thread finally got locked. People kept violating the rules - which is incidentally a great technique for shutting down a conversation of a topic you don't like. I don't think it was the case on this thread, but I do think people have entered threads and dropped political bombs specifically in order to make the topic go away.
    Not in this case. 
    Noting both statements to this effect - fair enough.

However, I do think the political content was at the very least disrespectful of the rules.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    After 800+ posts, the TGP thread finally got locked. People kept violating the rules - which is incidentally a great technique for shutting down a conversation of a topic you don't like. 
    People who try that on this forum can find themselves banned. 
    Glad to see it. I don't expect anyone to be a mind reader, but I do think that suspensions and bans ahead of thread locks is a policy less likely to be abused.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29087
    deano said:

There is no pedal in existence that contains more that a few quids worth of components. 
    Having actually built and sold pedals, I can assure you that you're wrong here. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    You know when Lee said he didn't know anything, Andertons did.  Look at the comments on their vid from January.  They must have known something

I have nothing against Lee, and I like the channel, but his statement just weakened in my opinion

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12049
    Sporky said:
    deano said:

There is no pedal in existence that contains more that a few quids worth of components. 
    Having actually built and sold pedals, I can assure you that you're wrong here. 
    I once bought 6 of those knobs on Chase bliss Pedals, they came to £20 alone, on knobs, at cost !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowen said:
    You know when Lee said he didn't know anything, Andertons did.  Look at the comments on their vid from January.  They must have known something

I have nothing against Lee, and I like the channel, but his statement just weakened in my opinion

Maybe they didn't read the comments? Funny if true.
  • joeyowen said:

Maybe they didn't read the comments? Funny if true
    For a while Andertons had a social media guy. Given how much they promote on YouTube and facebook, they definitely need one.
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited November 2018
    Maybe they didn't read the comments? Funny if true.
    Of course they read the comments and Anderton takes a close interest in what they say. Just think back to when they went all 'SJW' and ran that video telling people not to be a (insert gender-related insult here) because he was tired of people slagging off  his mate and business partner 'The monkey lord' and they wanted to run a series of promotional videos with Mary Spender.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that he didn't know anything about Mason's history, and as his response makes clear, whether or not he did is pretty much irrelevant given that he certainly did know after he posted his Vertex video, and he effectively has said 'I couldn't care less that he has ripped people off in the past'. He says supporting Mason is 'not about the money', so I guess that makes it a matter of principle, but what sort of principles justify supporting a proven serial fraudster and scam artist? It all seems a bit inconsistent.

It was much the same when Andertons went all 'SJW' and Lee said they would summarily block people from making comments on his videos if they posted anything that was, in his view, negative, abusive, disrespectful, homophobic or sexist, because he 'felt responsible' for viewers who might be 'sensitive' and he wanted to make the channel more 'diverse'. Fair enough many would say, but this came from a bloke who only months earlier had posted a video of himself practically wetting himself as his 'monkey lord' mate used a 'Miku' pedal, voiced to sound like Hatsune Miku, a 15-year old female anime character, to say things like 'F.ck me now kind sir'.

Perhaps this sort of thing is inevitable when you try to be 'mates' with everyone at the same time as keeping the money rolling in. Reality is Lee Anderton is not your best mate, despite the on-line persona he has cultivated, he just wants the money your your wallet!

As Lee himself says, Mason is not the first person to sell off cheap pedals at a high price with a bit of added voodoo and paint, as with the Freekish Blues pedals that he used to sell ('Chappers' thought they were great). Anyone know if he also did refunds when that scam was finally uncovered?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8568
    joeyowen said:

Maybe they didn't read the comments? Funny if true
    For a while Andertons had a social media guy. Given how much they promote on YouTube and facebook, they definitely need one.

Noooooo, I remember a few companies having Social Media guys a few years ago on here - I think it's a terrible idea - they pop up with "Hi, I'm Mike and I'm the Social Media Guy for xxxxxx" and then proceed to integrate as awkwardly as the pope at a playboy party.

Best thing if the Business actually take a keen and genuine interest in what's going on in the on-line guitar community. Rossyamaha is a good example.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I honestly don't know how anyone can try to defend this in any way. This guy is a known fraudster and con-man, a self-confessed compulsive liar who has openly admitted his actions...and Andertons offer him a platform to spout yet MORE lies? 

The response is cretinous, frankly. As is the "we won't be reading any more comments, la la la not listening" aspect.

Deeply unimpressive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited November 2018
    It always makes me laugh when people talk about 'credibility' and 'integrity' in relation  marketing, advertising and the desire of a business to make money! 

As to Anderton's promoting the views of charlatans. It will come as no surprise that this is my favourite. 

Credibility? What credibility?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12318
    ^^^^

To be fair, if that chap said anything apart from his job that involves crafting multi-thousand pound guitars being very worthwhile, he would do himself out of a job....?

Or is he infamous for other reasons?

Honestly I've actually gone off buying gear these days because there are so many snake oil salesmen and so much myth around this industry!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • I've just watched the Rig Doctor video referred to above. My god....what on earth is the man doing?! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10763
    It always makes me laugh when people talk about 'credibility' and 'integrity' in relation  marketing, advertising and the desire of a business to make money! 

As to Anderton's promoting the views of charlatans. It will come as no surprise that this is my favourite. 

Credibility? What credibility?

Interested to know - is there something wrong in what he’s saying here, or has he been found out elsewhere as dishonest? What he says here seems plausible, to me anyway. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • @dindude that type of interaction is not really what I meant.

how companies interact on line is becoming quite a key part of business. Andertons have struck gold in building up a huge YT channel that has really promoted the brand, driven awareness and increased sales.

however as time goes on the same channel becomes a weight around the company as all interaction is available for all to see and both content and interaction reflects on the brand.

as the channel grows, Andertons need to make sure that the content they provide grows and engages the right way, as at any time in the SM world a wrong step can push you into a lot of very negative publicity.

now here I think Andertons really have cocked up, a video with Mason ought to have been handled very carefully. 

A social media team ought to be researching for interviews, looking at comments around the subject and providing lee with tools to make an informed choice.

i get the feeling that they do a lot based on intuition and market experience. I guess there genuinely aren’t too many pit falls, and I think their audience is largely forgiving, but as they grow I think they could become better informed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33928
    I've just watched the Rig Doctor video referred to above. My god....what on earth is the man doing?! 
    I understand that earthing is exactly his problem.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    Just for info, there were a couple of posts upthread that cast doubt on my claims that the components in pedals only cost a few pounds and were therefore not worth the hyper-inflated amounts they sell for.

Rather than clog up this thread - not that it needs any help in that regard - I have created a separate thread about pedal pricing. It is here... http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/144161/the-cost-of-pedals#latest

Enjoy!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8568
    @dindude that type of interaction is not really what I meant.

how companies interact on line is becoming quite a key part of business. Andertons have struck gold in building up a huge YT channel that has really promoted the brand, driven awareness and increased sales.

however as time goes on the same channel becomes a weight around the company as all interaction is available for all to see and both content and interaction reflects on the brand.

as the channel grows, Andertons need to make sure that the content they provide grows and engages the right way, as at any time in the SM world a wrong step can push you into a lot of very negative publicity.

now here I think Andertons really have cocked up, a video with Mason ought to have been handled very carefully. 

A social media team ought to be researching for interviews, looking at comments around the subject and providing lee with tools to make an informed choice.

i get the feeling that they do a lot based on intuition and market experience. I guess there genuinely aren’t too many pit falls, and I think their audience is largely forgiving, but as they grow I think they could become better informed.

Yup, that makes more sense. I probably used it as an excuse to type the words Pope at a Playboy party.
  • viz said:

Interested to know - is there something wrong in what he’s saying here, or has he been found out elsewhere as dishonest? What he says here seems plausible, to me anyway. 
    You tinker! ;)

(If you were been serious well, this is not the time or the place, but I have been reading some interesting research in Acustica that suggests when he said '80%', he should really have put a decimal point in front of the eight, and maybe even a couple of zeros as well. Another time, maybe.)