Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

For those preoccupied with the weight of guitars...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    Schnozz said:
    I used to play an 11lbs ESP Ltd in my teens and it balanced so well that I didn't feel it
    Yep, I had an 8.5lbs Custom Shop Les Paul R0 that was the opposite - it balanced horribly and felt much heavier than it was. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23574
    Brize said:
    Schnozz said:
    I used to play an 11lbs ESP Ltd in my teens and it balanced so well that I didn't feel it
    Yep, I had an 8.5lbs Custom Shop Les Paul R0 that was the opposite - it balanced horribly and felt much heavier than it was. 
    I had a 7.5lb sawn-off Explorer which balanced so weirdly that it felt extremely heavy on the shoulder.  I sold it almost immediately.  Still prefer light guitars generally though.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Brize said:
    ^^ It was a light-hearted observation.
    If it's humour you want, you're in the wrong place.
     =) 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    Accordions sound utter shit, so who cares?

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2450
    Bought two 90's Custom Shop guitars a couple of years back, never asked the weight. The Strat is 6lb 12oz and the Tele 6lb 7oz.....was a bit surprised. Ideally though I like mid 7lbs for Fender.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Brize said:
    Schnozz said:
    Absolutely, its more about the balance than the weight. I have a 9lb les paul that is much better balanced than an 8.5 that I moved on. The 8.5 was awful when playing seated. That said I still prefer my 7.9lb and balanced les paul :)
  • Brize said: I couldn't bring myself to tell her that some guitarists (me included) obsess over half a pound of weight on a Strat or Les Paul. We really are a bunch of pussies!
    To quote the Lone Ranger gag, ‘what’s this we shit’?! Some people (like me) look for lighter guitars because they believe they are usually more resonant and better sounding. As well as the obvious back/shoulder relieving benefits.  :)
    Me too! I’ve found that lighter weight Telecasters and Stratocasters usually sound better to my ears.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54 said:
    Bought two 90's Custom Shop guitars a couple of years back, never asked the weight. The Strat is 6lb 12oz and the Tele 6lb 7oz.....was a bit surprised. Ideally though I like mid 7lbs for Fender.
    Are they for sale?  :)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:

Guess what I'm getting you for Christmas :-D
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    I am very old .For me weight is important and it probably will be for you Sunny JIm one day .I prefer light as me backs gone and I have COPD as well .I usually pay a paulowonia bodied Tele and a  small hollow body keiper jazzer  as I play jazz and blues anyway .A good  solid case can really overload it and my Gibson doesnt get gigged much due to them really needing a good case rather than a light gig bag
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73026
    impmann said:
    Unless you've worked in a large general music shop in Scotland in the late 80s to mid 90s, you may not have experienced the sheer hell that is...

The *amplified* accordion :). A means of making the warbling bellow audible over half a small country - like bagpipes, only not as tuneful ;). The system comprises multiple contact microphones on the reed blocks and an onboard mixer, and is a nightmare to fit and troubleshoot - partly because you have to listen to it while doing so, if the owner is required to play it to isolate the fault.

And if you think that's bad there are also MIDI accordions!

For the record I love the sound of French and Italian accordions. German ones a little less so, but it's the horrible detuned 'tremolo' (like Fender, they actually mean vibrato) Scottish Jimmy Shand variety that really sets my teeth on edge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    ICBM said:
    impmann said:
    Unless you've worked in a large general music shop in Scotland in the late 80s to mid 90s, you may not have experienced the sheer hell that is...

The *amplified* accordion :). A means of making the warbling bellow audible over half a small country - like bagpipes, only not as tuneful ;). The system comprises multiple contact microphones on the reed blocks and an onboard mixer, and is a nightmare to fit and troubleshoot - partly because you have to listen to it while doing so, if the owner is required to play it to isolate the fault.

And if you think that's bad there are also MIDI accordions!

For the record I love the sound of French and Italian accordions. German ones a little less so, but it's the horrible detuned 'tremolo' (like Fender, they actually mean vibrato) Scottish Jimmy Shand variety that really sets my teeth on edge.
    Although I’ve not worked in a Scottish music shop I’m more than aware of the horror that is the electric accordion. And the Midi ones - WEM, Charlie Watkins was the responsible party. The sonic equivalent of having your ears rodgered with a multi-bladed rusty knife.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Even though I hate everything they stand for, having grown up with my dad being so involved in Orange accordion bands and flute bands, part of me still likes the sound

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oMtqz7SdAUY