Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Advice please on Vibram soles - mine are extremely slippy

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    Vibrasoles
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Mostly because I can trash them and get another free pair from work...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    I find they work great on mountainous rocky and muddy ground, not so much on smooth stuff. 

I stopped buying Merrels a while ago though, as they wear out stupidly quick considering the price tag. 

My main approach shoes are Berghaus Hedgehogs now and they're great. 

For actual mountains / scrambling / climbing I have North Face boots and a pair of Scarpa B3 boots for when it gets sketchy enough to need crampons or actual climbing on near vertical rock. 

Genuinely don't know why you'd buy trekking footwear for casual wear though. The compounds used wear very quickly on pavement. They're designed for a mix of wet and dry uneven ground. 
    I have trouble with a lot of normal fashion shoes

arthritis in big toe joint: can't wear pointy shoes or ones that are tight or that fold in that area
    bad knees - important to have good posture and gait
    lower back problems - good shape sole helps with that

I tried the cross trainers years ago , but they all seemed to fit very tightly, too tightly for me, I had to give away a pair 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4377
    Octafish said:
    Are Merrell Moccasins the male equivalent of Hotter shoes?

I've just Googled them, found this page https://www.merrell.com/en/mens-slip-on-shoes/ and remember most of the blokes were wearing them at an Aynsley Lister guitar weekend a few years ago.

Everyone was mid-40s to mid-60s and half of them had an SVL guitar, so I assumed a memo had gone around the Matt Schofield WhatsApp on what shoes and guitar to bring.

Fuck me, those shoes are vile, do you have to wear them with beige cargo trousers? Think I'll be contacting Dignitas if I ever end wearing them

Lol

I have a pair of Lowa Zephyr's. They are better than anything else I’ve worn for all round grip, and I’ve tried a lot of boots! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    Five Ten make pretty grippy approach type shoes. The sole is a black rubbery compound which I haven’t as yet slipped whilst wearing. My Merrells on the other hand are super slippy.
    Budgie said:
    Five Ten make pretty grippy approach type shoes. The sole is a black rubbery compound which I haven’t as yet slipped whilst wearing. My Merrells on the other hand are super slippy.
    I need to go to a place with loads of these things to try out
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1957
    I loved Merrills until about 8 years ago when I had a pair that were lethal in the wet. I've had plenty of boots with Vibram soles which were all fine, but the ones fitted to the Merills were awful. Never bought a pair since. 
    Lodious said:
    I loved Merrills until about 8 years ago when I had a pair that were lethal in the wet. I've had plenty of boots with Vibram soles which were all fine, but the ones fitted to the Merills were awful. Never bought a pair since. 
    I really came near to serious injury with mine in Rome
    What I want is something casual for around town, and casual work
    So trainers or lowish ankle boots: I need to drive and sit at a desk with them on
    with plenty of toe space
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29130
    Ecco? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    I don't think it's a Vibram problem. I have Vibram soles on both my Red Wing Irish Setter boots and my Thorogood boots and both are fine. 
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 639
    AFAIK there are many different grades of Vibram though it's not always easy to know which is used on any particular shoe.

I've found that the cheap walking shoes from Trespass and Mountain Warehouse are just as good as name brands like North Face and Merrell, though they tend to be a bit heavier.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73026
    What I want is something casual for around town, and casual work
    So trainers or lowish ankle boots: I need to drive and sit at a desk with them on
    with plenty of toe space
    Converse.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Sporky said:

I stopped buying Merrels a while ago though, as they wear out stupidly quick considering the price tag. 

There's a trick for that - lease them.

I'm on my fourth pair of Merrel walking boots - the waterproofing generally fails at about 10-11 months old, so I return them and get another pair. That makes the price per pair about £25 - pay for the first ones, the rest are free. If they start making them last longer then that's still fine.

This tactic also works with Berghaus, Dr Martens and Barbour gear.

Regards, Merrell the only pair I have had squeaked constantly especially when wet and were shown the bin in short order.