Speaker ohm query

rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235

Quick question regarding ohmy stuff.

Have an amp with a fitting for a 4 or 8 ohm extension

Mate has a 1x12 cab with a 16ohm speaker fitted.

Would this work?

Blow up the amp or just sound crap?

Educate me please!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    What are the amp and cab?

Having a bigger load than expected should be fine, you'll just have less power than if you used the right load.  

Using a lower impedance is where you risk damage as the amp tries to deliver more power than it is designed for.
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235

Amp is an Epi VJ

Cab is the Epi 1x12 with a 16ohm speaker

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72716
    edited August 2013
    If it's a head: fine if you plug it into the 8-ohm jack; won't sound quite as loud and might not sound quite as good as it should.

If it's a combo, and you're still using the internal speaker as well: fine. Might sound very slightly quieter than it should, but otherwise no issue.
    John_P said:

Using a lower impedance is where you risk damage as the amp tries to deliver more power than it is designed for.
    Only if it's a solid-state amp. Valve amps produce *less* power into a lower-than-matching load, and it isn't harmful to them - usually less so than an overly high one (more than about twice the matching).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    ICBM: This is a temp thing whilst I am still saving form a Mesa Tremo verb!!!!