How to achieve this finish

Hi have been a bit obsessed with this sunburst SG junior since it was posted around by ATB guitars. its certainly a different take and wondered if some of our finishing experts could give there verdict on how to recreate it authentically, don't mind if it looks different as the reds have obviously faded overtime and the back and next have become nearly brown, I presume they were the standard cherry grain fill?

What I am trying to get is are the darker areas a black or saturated tobacco brown. So as its a1962 model you would expect the red to be different to say a classic les paul fading burst.

All suggestion welcome

thanks Jez

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    That's looks just like a brown back and probably just much darker brown on the darker areas, that's how I'd do it, the front looks like faded brown burst to me although it might have a red over it, hard to tell from that picture

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah from one angle it looks Brown from another there is a distinct red edge unless that’s the strong yellow under the brown and the camera is just pushing the reds up
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16734

the tricky bit is getting bright yellow  over mahogany on the front with some grain showing.  Gibson often just goes amber on newer stuff for a simpler process.

You  can do a yellower version of TV yellow (not the wheaty coloured ones), or one of my old sprayers had great results from bleaching the front first with wood bleach... then you can spray a straight yellow coat prior to the burst 

On my monitor I see a touch of red in that, but I would go tobacco brown first and see where it was at, adjust appropriately.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    Looks like yellow & red & dark brown blown at the edges, over the red, true candies/tints go to black at full tint. Though in reality not quite, but get towards it. Brown over red gets dark anyway. Round the heels one place that looks like darker brown was blown around. At least on the dinky phone screen here.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    You could lay a transparent white coat on the front for the yellow to go over, that might work out really good and fairly easy too
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)