Ultimate Guitar Pro Black Friday deal?

What's Hot
StavrosStavros Frets: 337
£29.99 for 12 months access, anyone use it, is it worth it?
I love my brick
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    £30 a year now? 

Damn. I remember always using ultimate guitar for tabs, 10+ years ago, and around that time must have upgraded to 'pro' for a one off cost of something like half that. 

At the time the only pro feature was a tuner, a metronone and the ability to have the music play while the tabs scrolled. Which was hella useful. 

I guess my lifetime one off payment still works as I've never ever been charged any subscription for it, but all the added features of realistic sounds/tonebridge etc I've also gained as they've added them. 

Strange.  
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 337
    Thanks @skunkwerx. ;

Guess this is typical of the whole software as a service malarkey, so probably not going to get any better deal. I was just wondering if it was worth paying for something like this when there is so much stuff on You Tube for nowt.

As you say, Pro features include realistic sounds and such like, I thought the backing tracks, and tempo control, looked like good features, plus the ability to get into the Pro versions of the tabs/ chords.

Not so sure now!
    I love my brick
  • You might like to Google the reviews and comments about Ultimate Guitar before giving them your credit card details.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Stavros said:
    Thanks @skunkwerx. ;

Guess this is typical of the whole software as a service malarkey, so probably not going to get any better deal. I was just wondering if it was worth paying for something like this when there is so much stuff on You Tube for nowt.

As you say, Pro features include realistic sounds and such like, I thought the backing tracks, and tempo control, looked like good features, plus the ability to get into the Pro versions of the tabs/ chords.

Not so sure now!
    No worries man. 

Its hard to say, because i do use it, but I don't think I'd want to pay annually to use it. 
    The reason for saying that is, the pro tabs are still just what other people have created, so could be wrong. 
    The chord library is useful but again, google could give you the same info for free. 

But the ability to play the tabs, and then play along with it has helped before. 
    Steve922 said:
    You might like to Google the reviews and comments about Ultimate Guitar before giving them your credit card details.
    Thanks for this, they are incredibly poor aren’t they! Deffo going to give it a miss, so glad I asked.
    I love my brick
  • I use it a lot for getting chord charts for songs & find it really useful. 

Didn’t pay for it though, got the full version some years ago when Apple were giving away free downloads from their Apple Store app. 
    I actually emailed them yesterday to clarify, as I became suddenly scared I would get hit with years worth of fees... lol. 

They replied and confirmed that as I bought it 'back in the day', it was a one off cost for lifetime membership. 

I've also just realised I've used it maybe 3 times this year... 

You certainly arent missing out on anything that isnt free. 

I get most of my tabs in the form of youtube lessons to be honest. The likes of justinguitar, mahalo, yourguitarworkshop or carl brown at guitarlessons365 

For chords, justin guitar has a lot of info and a few vids on extending them beyond standard open things. Google provides all of them anyway! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    Bugger , thought this was for an American Pro Strat .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I downloaded their app. At some point, I got an offer to upgrade to pro. I forget how much it was, but it was definitely under a fiver. As it's done through Google, they never got my card details. One off payment, lifetime subscription, works on app and site. Might be worth a try? 
  • Think i paid £7.99 for lifetime membership, then again maybe not
    “Ken sent me.”
    Think i paid £7.99 for lifetime membership, then again maybe not
    I think you're in the correct ballpark. 

I seem to remember it being cheap too, bout a fiver or so. 

I don't actually know what they've added to make it worth a £30 annual fee, unless they needed to start paying royalties or something.. 

When I first began guitar, having the tabs scroll and play in polyphonic tones really helped haha. Especially when you'd play a standard tab and couldnt get it to sound near or by.

Then again you're always relying on the accuracy of whoever actually made the tab! 

I wish I would have just started learning by ear tbh, I'd be miles ahead by now. 

But back as a teen when all we wanted to do was quickly learn something to jam in my friends loft, ultimate guitar was basically our bible ha! 
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    What does it do that Songsterr doesn't do for free? I've not really looked at any other site/service since finding Songsterr, honestly...

I have the free version on iPad, they want the same amount or a bit less (£24.99?) for annual subscription.

No sign of any lifetime memberships.

Black Friday is a load of bollocks!!!
    I love my brick
    Tenebrous said:
    What does it do that Songsterr doesn't do for free? I've not really looked at any other site/service since finding Songsterr, honestly...

Yeah, I use that on PC, think you’re right it does what’s necessary. The iPad version isn’t as good, strangely.
    I love my brick