PSA Marshall Origin Amps cheap

What's Hot

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Philtre said:
    Octafish said:
    Phew, glad I got in there when I did. Supposed to be with me tomorrow =) .

Hope they honour their, er, mistake "bargain". Mine should arrive tomorrow, too. Checked the order status, says dispatched with a DPD tracking number. 
    Well looks like it's definitely happening! Got a text/email to say mine's been dispatched for delivery tomorrow. Would be interesting to know what the reduction/deal was about.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    edited May 2019
    Octafish said:
    Philtre said:
    Octafish said:
    Phew, glad I got in there when I did. Supposed to be with me tomorrow .

Hope they honour their, er, mistake "bargain". Mine should arrive tomorrow, too. Checked the order status, says dispatched with a DPD tracking number. 
    Well looks like it's definitely happening! Got a text/email to say mine's been dispatched for delivery tomorrow. Would be interesting to know what the reduction/deal was about.....
    Same. Mine's on the way from Glasgow.

No idea why they did this reduction on consecutive days. Perhaps some weird stock-pricing script that runs every morning.

Anyway, for those that missed out on the 20w head there's one on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-Origin-20H-20-Watt-Electric-Guitar-Valve-Amp-Head/202667365515

• JoolsJools Frets: 22
    I would doubt this was an error, if it was no one would price match and so far I think at least three other retailers did. It is more likely to be a marketing/pricing event designed to influence price trackers and best buy ranking. We use this approach where I work, we constantly monitor everyone's prices and reprice hourly.

If it is a pricing strategy, once too many sales happen at that price the repricing will change, either frequency or period. Hopefully it won't kill it off completely but if they start appearing on ebay regularly then it will, this will negate the competitive pricing benefits to the retailer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It arrived and now I'm kind of like, crumbs, it's way bigger than the Victory V40 and Peavey Class 20 heads I'm used to. I guess I got used to the lunchbox size heads.

I put it into an Orange 1x12 with Celestion V30.

First impressions - no Standby switch...mkay, a tad of hum, and then...the Marshall sound...I guess, as I've never owned a Marshall before.

Not sure whether to keep it yet!

marshall-20
    Fuck, yeah!

A bit more playing and, yes, it has that Marshall sound.

You gots to push that Master volume up to get there, though. Cleans are good too.

Now then, I have to sell something. Out of this Marshall 20w head, Victory V40 Duchess, or Peavey Classic Mini Head 20 which would you sell?
    idiotwind said:
    I can't say for certain, but if the Guitar Guitar website has the 20 watters at £249/299 tomorrow morning between about 7am and 9:30am then it will be 5 days running.  Apologies for not mentioning it sooner, but it took until day 3 for me to convince my wife that the universe really wanted me to get one of these and I didn't want to jinx it.  20W combo arrived today.
    And not forgetting a shout-out to @idiotwind for the heads up on this particular pricing aberration!
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2047
    Philtre said:
    Fuck, yeah!

You gots to push that Master volume up to get there, though. Cleans are good too.

Now then, I have to sell something. Out of this Marshall 20w head, Victory V40 Duchess, or Peavey Classic Mini Head 20 which would you sell?
    Interesting question, I recently got rid of a Peavey 20 - it sounded ok but a bit quiet and I never really gelled with it. Lots of features though. 

Replaced ot with a Katana head which is stupid loud and even more versatile. 

I’m hoping the Marshall will compliment the Boss for when I want a stripped-down valve head rather than a do-everything modeller. 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    I wonder if the newcastle one is doing this..!!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7018
    Philtre said:
    Fuck, yeah!

Definitely need to keep the master cranked and use the pre gain to set volume.Tone controls have a big effect so can be used to sculpt the sound a lot. Haven’t tried a boost pedal in the fx loop yet - anyone tried it?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Haven’t tried a boost pedal in the fx loop yet - anyone tried it?
    Heads up to anyone using the fx loop on the head - you have to have the foot switch connected for it to work.
    Is it just me or are the knobs on the 20w head a little sharp around the edges?
    Philtre said:
    Is it just me or are the knobs on the 20w head a little sharp around the edges?
    I’ve been known to replace Marshall knobs with chickenheads so I can see what they’re set at without a magnifying glass. 
    mrkb said:
    Philtre said:
    Fuck, yeah!

Definitely need to keep the master cranked and use the pre gain to set volume.
    That sounds exactly the opposite way around to what you would expect. Good old Marshall! Although personally I do prefer a good dose of power amp saturation to the same old 12AX7 distortion.  
    It seems that there's so much interplay between the Gain and Master. The amp really opens up the more Master there is. More Master = more treble. More Gain = more Bass.

Even on the Low setting, this is not one for the bedroom. You gots to crank that mutha!
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    @Philtre you're not wrong....It's much more useable (though very similar sound and feel) than my BluesBreaker that I sold on to a friend.

Only issue at the moment is that one of the tubes has an annoying rattle any time I play C# - anyone got a novel way to fix this?
    JohnCordy said:
    @Philtre you're not wrong....It's much more useable (though very similar sound and feel) than my BluesBreaker that I sold on to a friend.

Only issue at the moment is that one of the tubes has an annoying rattle any time I play C# - anyone got a novel way to fix this?
    Get a rubber ring or two around it. Tube damper thingies, work for me.
    Top tip - if you can't crank your brand new Marshall Origin 20 head because the neighbours are home, just apply a modicum of OCD pedal to compensate. Apparently.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17864
    tFB Trader
    Jettenuator does a great job.
    Jettenuator does a great job.
    Can someone school me on these? Any good?