Guitar rig 5 - free version!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I can't bring myself too pay for computer plug ins when I still haven't perfected my live tone yet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm probably going to regret asking this as I'm sure the answer isn't simple but here goes - what is a plug-in and how do you use them? Thanks
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I'm probably going to regret asking this as I'm sure the answer isn't simple but here goes - what is a plug-in and how do you use them? Thanks
    Essentially you have software that acts as a host - usually it's recording software called a DAW but can also be purely a host for using a plugin live. A plugin is additional software that runs inside the host.

With a guitar amp sim plugin you plug your guitar directly in to the computer and it makes it sound like you're playing through an amp with the cab miced up (to a surprisingly high quality, if you've never heard one before).

As you suspect it's not overly simple so if you Google DAW and VST plugins you'll find loads of information.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I can't bring myself too pay for computer plug ins when I still haven't perfected my live tone yet. 
    One option would be to go for a hardware amp sim where you might feel better about paying for a physical object and can also use it live.

That's what I use and I actually prefer the sound to any of the plugins I've tried. By quite a bit really.
  • I've just started using the freeware LePou ones with IRs and my pedalboard. My Fallout Cloud is particularly easy to record this way. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 794
    Don't worry about being behind the curve, there are those who haven't even got to DAW ! Very impressive playing though.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    fastonebaz said:
    I decided to go for this. Offer runs out midnight today if anyone else is interested
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I think Guitar Rig is great for the more 'esoteric' effects, some great filter and delay stuff, and the EH Micro Synth module is useful, but for more run-of-the-mill guitar stuff I tend to use Amplitube 3 (and the old Ampeg one they did for bass).
    There is a nice (free) amp-only plug-in called California Sun that comes in handy as well.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    edited November 2018
    I got the thermionic plugin and cant load it into reaper. Can anyone help. i had no problem with Neutron elements. Reaper not finding it. Ive pasted it to programme files and vst file inside programme file and path set to both.I am doing something wrong .anyone got any ideas? Do i extract all to these files etc ? Normally reaper just finds it on start up. (sorry should have started new Thread.)
    JAYJO said:
    I got the thermionic plugin and cant load it into reaper. Can anyone help. i had no problem with Neutron elements. Reaper not finding it. Ive pasted it to programme files and vst file inside programme file and path set to both.I am doing something wrong .anyone got any ideas? Do i extract all to these files etc ? Normally reaper just finds it on start up. (sorry should have started new Thread.)
    Are the .dll files in the same folder as the .dll files of other plugins you have that already work in Reaper?

If not, move them to where the other ones are.
    thegummy said:
    JAYJO said:
    Are the .dll files in the same folder as the .dll files of other plugins you have that already work in Reaper?

Cheers mate for your help.
    Ive got some in programme vst pluggins and some in Reaper/fx folder. Ive put it in both and reaper not finding it?

JAYJO said:
    thegummy said:
    JAYJO said:

Cheers mate for your help.
    Ive got some in programme vst pluggins and some in Reaper/fx folder. Ive put it in both and reaper not finding it?

All sorted now mate. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
  • gordiji said:
    Don't worry about being behind the curve, there are those who haven't even got to DAW ! Very impressive playing though.
    Cheers @gordiji ;