ESP Ronnie wood rw3

What's Hot
PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 946
Fair Deal have this for £450 , anyone know anything about these.? At over half price it seems a good deal
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    edited November 2018
    Its decent Ltd bang for buck at that price.

Be aware its never over a grand though. I guess thats its RRP. Andertons had the 3tb for ages at around £599, with every other store having it around £700 odd.
    That was about right for Ltd models at that spec. 

Though I'd double check the specs with the seller.. 

Its listed on there as having medium frets, gotoh tuners and Duncan pickups, yet in the specs describes them as duncan designed, which is what the lower end models would usually have. 

According to Esp's website, the tuners are Ltd vintage, not Gotoh, and the frets are xj. I've never seen an Esp without xj frets tbh. 

The pickups are listed on Esp's website  as a Duncan 59 in the neck and a hot tele in the bridge. 
    Andertons also advertises them as such, but using their code names, as a Duncan Sh-1 in the neck and an Stl-2 in the bridge. Same pickups, different ways of saying it. 

I'd be surprised if it indeed comes with Gotoh tuners and medium frets. 
    Unless this particular one you've found is an older model which indeed did have those features. 

Seems like you do get a bone nut though. 

I like Esp/Ltd guitars. 
    They're usually well built, I've found them to play nice and sound good, though often the ones I've bought have needed a full set up out the box. 
    The tuners on my Explorer Ltd are just ltd standard ones and they've been fine for years, they hold tune as good as my American special tele or chapman with its grovers. 

For £450 even if it just has a bone nut and a set of duncans, thats a fair price for an Ltd with those as standard.  

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry, I re read the description on fairdeal. 

Their description spiel is all wrong, stating it has Gotohs, Esp designed pickups and medium frets..

BUT

Below that the specs are bullet pointed, and those there seem correct. 
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 946
    Thanx Skunkwerx- I think the price/saving seemed more tempting than the actual guitar and the rrp looks high anyway
    PhilW1 said:
    Thanx Skunkwerx- I think the price/saving seemed more tempting than the actual guitar and the rrp looks high anyway
    Always seems to be, especially with Esp's. I know theyre outspoken on not being the cheapest, but for example the Hammett signature 202, its £450 to £500, has standard 'designed by esp/emg passives', with the only signature part being the skull n bone inlays. Bolt on, basswood body. 

For £350 I'm sure the Ec series are mahogany set necks, albeit no floyd..

Probably the same across the board really with brands. 

It is misleading though when a retailer states the saving compared to the £1000+ RRP which, no one ever sells them for (maybe once when it was first released), rather than compare it to the usual selling price of say £700 or so. 

• Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited November 2018
    skunkwerx said:

According to Esp's website, the tuners are Ltd vintage, not Gotoh, and the frets are xj. I've never seen an Esp without xj frets tbh.  The pickups are listed on Esp's website  as a Duncan 59 in the neck and a hot tele in the bridge.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that there are two Ronnie Wood models. First, the signature, with medium frets, ESP pickups and Gotoh tuners. It also comes with a case and is made at the ESP Custom Shop in Japan.

Secondly, there is the LTD version. (Anderton's only list a black LTD 'Ronnie Wood' model as being available - at £789.) This has the 'sweetener' of SD pickups, but will most likely be made in Indonesia.

skunkwerx said:

According to Esp's website, the tuners are Ltd vintage, not Gotoh, and the frets are xj. I've never seen an Esp without xj frets tbh.  The pickups are listed on Esp's website  as a Duncan 59 in the neck and a hot tele in the bridge.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that there are two Ronnie Wood models. First, the signature, with medium frets, ESP pickups and Gotoh tuners. It also comes with a case and is made at the ESP Custom Shop in Japan.

Secondly, there is the LTD version. (Anderton's only list a black LTD 'Ronnie Wood' model as being available - at £789.) This has the 'sweetener' of SD pickups, but will most likely be made in Indonesia.

Yeah true that!
  • Even for the ESP version, it's a lot of guitar for the money. The pickups alone would cost over £180 from Thomann.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    edited November 2018
    do you think Ronnie Wood also has his own range of signature easels?

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

If I wasn't sorted for a 'T' type, at £450 I would have bought one of these.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    skunkwerx said:

Their description spiel is all wrong, stating it has Gotohs, Esp designed pickups and medium frets..

BUT

What makes you think the higher quality specs are right?  The description lists the typical LH200 neck pickup used on other ESP humbucker teles, not Seymour Duncan.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    In one of the product photos you can see it says Seymour Duncan on the bridge pickup. Probs best to give them a ring though
    Chalky said:
    skunkwerx said:

BUT

What makes you think the higher quality specs are right?  The description lists the typical LH200 neck pickup used on other ESP humbucker teles, not Seymour Duncan.
    I was just going by Esp's website, comparing the specs of the made in Japan Esp vs the Ltd version. 

Looks like fairdeal used the description of the made in Japan ESP model (probably by mistake), which does have Gotohs, medium frets, and an Lh200 humbucker/esp designed pickups. 

https://www.espguitars.com/products/9400-ltd-ron-wood-3tb?category_id=1963424-ron-wood