Gibson Historic Neck Shave

What's Hot
hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1425
edited November 2018 in Guitar
Has anyone on here had their Gibson historic neck shaved down and re-profiled? Considering getting this done to a Nashville made 59 reissue ES335. The guitar is perfect in every way and has insanely good tone. Just the neck is a little too clubby and too much shoulder for my hands. Anyone who has had it done, has it affected the tone at all? And how obvious is it that’s it been done? I would want the neck refinished with nitro and a good colour match to the original cherry finish. Not sure if this is possible. Would be interested in recommendations for someone who could do this to a very high standard.

Please note I’m not looking for opinions as to whether I should do it or not. I understand the resale implications etc. I’d like feedback/advice from people who have actually had it done or have experience of it.

Thanks!! 

Ben
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16788
    I'm always nervous about taking thickness off unless I know exactly where the truss rod is... No more than a mm or two.

you can change the feel totally be rounding out the shoulders and not touching the thickness at all

It's important to remember that small changes make a massive difference to feel
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    It's my understanding that the neck contributes significantly to a guitar's sound. I'd be wary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31663
    WezV said:
    I'm always nervous about taking thickness off unless I know exactly where the truss rod is... No more than a mm or two.

you can change the feel totally be rounding out the shoulders and not touching the thickness at all

It's important to remember that small changes make a massive difference to feel
    This. It's amazing how much difference just removing a millimetre or so from the shoulders makes to the feel, without taking much off the depth. 

That said, if you're into a full neck refinish anyway you can drill two or three tiny holes along the length of the neck to check truss rod depth before you start. 
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I have a mate who changed the profile of the neck on a Les Paul and it did effect the tone significantly in that instance so I would live with the existing neck if you love the tone.

I must admit all my guitars have slightly different profiles and whilst I might prefer one over another within a few minutes of playing I've adjusted and it makes no difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    I would live with it as it is. I've had the neck slimmed down on three guitars over the years, and regretted it each time so much that I eventually sold the guitars. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Hang on to it and trade for a 60s reissue
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1425
    Sassafras said:
    It's my understanding that the neck contributes significantly to a guitar's sound. I'd be wary.
    I am already extremely wary which is why I’m looking for some people with actual experience of it.

Collings said:
    I have a mate who changed the profile of the neck on a Les Paul and it did effect the tone significantly in that instance so I would live with the existing neck if you love the tone.

I must admit all my guitars have slightly different profiles and whilst I might prefer one over another within a few minutes of playing I've adjusted and it makes no difference.
    Thanks this is really useful. Do you know how much he had taken off?
    Misty said:
    I would live with it as it is. I've had the neck slimmed down on three guitars over the years, and regretted it each time so much that I eventually sold the guitars. 
    Was it change of tone or change of feel that made you regret it? Or something else maybe?
    edited November 2018
    Jalapeno said:
    That is an option, but so far the ones I’ve played all have necks that are too small. There’s seems to be a void between chunky and thin on historic 335 profiles. R9 type profile is what I’m looking for but most 59s seem to be very chunky R7/R8 type profiles, and 63 reissues seem to be R0 type profiles. Plus I doubt I’ll find one that sounds as good as my 59.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    It'll probably be just the shoulders that need rolling off, that's where every modern one I've picked up differs from a great feeling old neck
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    It'll probably be just the shoulders that need rolling off, that's where every modern one I've picked up differs from a great feeling old neck
    That would make a lot of sense. It’s very much a D shaped neck.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    hyperben said:
    Jalapeno said:
    That is an option, but so far the ones I’ve played all have necks that are too small. There’s seems to be a void between chunky and thin on historic 335 profiles. R9 type profile is what I’m looking for but most 59s seem to be very chunky R7/R8 type profiles, and 63 reissues seem to be R0 type profiles. Plus I doubt I’ll find one that sounds as good as my 59.
    a '61 reissue, not too thin at all.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    hyperben said:
    Jalapeno said:
    a '61 reissue, not too thin at all.
    How does it compare to an R9 neck?
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    hyperben said:
    Sassafras said:
    I am already extremely wary which is why I’m looking for some people with actual experience of it.

Collings said:

Thanks this is really useful. Do you know how much he had taken off?
    I would guess the the reduction was quite small. Maybe an R8 type profile down to an R9.
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited November 2018
    hyperben said:
    Misty said:
    Was it change of tone or change of feel that made you regret it? Or something else maybe?
    Even after slimming down their necks none of the guitars became what I hoped they would, feel wise. I don't remember hearing much, if any change in tone, though that may have been my ears. Also, I didn't like the fact that there were always signs that the work had been done, mainly in the refinishing. Now, some years later, my view is that a guitar has to be right in the first place, and I buy it for what it is rather than what it could be.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16788
    I agree it is likely to change the tone a bit, another reason to keep the thickness and only shave the shoulders... This should maintain the stiffness better
    Thanks for all the responses so far. Very useful information.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    I re-profiled the neck on a AVRI Strat a few years ago - for a full time touring guitarist as his No.1 Strat. Did it change the tone? Hard question .. but it definitely played better and the owner felt that he had a greater ability to create better tone with it due to the change in "feel"
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2018
    That’s interesting to hear. Out of all the Teles I’ve played the bigger neck Teles consistently sounded better to me. So neck size definitely can affect tone. But on the 335 it would be quite a small amount to come off a huge neck. So I think it will be a minimal tonal change. Can’t deny tone might be affected though.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16152
    You do find that you get used to it
    I think a mm will make zero difference to tone but a significant thinning down certainly will - I have experience of this with a tele.