Single coils for HSS?

What's Hot
Looking for two single coil pickups that will balance well with a JB Jr that’s in the bridge of my Strat. 

The lipsticks that I have are too weedy and the volume difference is too great to be usable. 

Any thoughts? Looking for Strat-ty ness from the mid/neck & rocky humbucker tones from the bridge but no great changes in volume when switching. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2038
    You'll go crazy before you find a HSS set that balances.

I got close with dual blade pickups for volume, but then you lose some of the Strat-y-ness.

I would just go your favourite Strat pickups and choose between those and the JB for each song, or you could mark the volume knobs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I like the Irongear Smoke Stack II pickups paired with a bridge humbucker. They're stacked single coils (so effectively humbuckers) so might not be Stratty enough for you, depending on what you're looking for. You can split them as well so lots of sounds if you do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3347
    Just copy this - it's a tried and tested set up and all you'll need are the Seymour Duncan SDBR-1n Duckbucker in the middle and a Seymour Duncan SL59-1n Little '59 for the neck

https://www.andertons.co.uk/seymour-duncan-everything-axe-strat-set-white-1611208-15w?LGWCODE=161120815W;56375;6335&gclid=Cj0KCQiArenfBRCoARIsAFc1Fqct4DNuSsnP4GjSMijq1dhkfGdLKmnxmsqZA3pKz4nixMUIqRlK3i4aAvTGEALw_wcB

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 667
    tFB Trader
    Plenty of hot single coils will fit the bill. As long as you're not going for vintage Strat tones, it shouldn't be difficult. I have at least 2 models in my range that would balance nicely and I'm about to throw a 15% off sale.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3347
    I used 2 Fralin Blues in the neck and middle positions and they married up really well re:tones and volume balance with an SD Little '59 in the bridge
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3378
    When I had my strat with a full sized JB in the bridge it worked really well with dimarzio HS2’s. They are hum cancelling too and sound great. 
  • grungebob said:
    When I had my strat with a full sized JB in the bridge it worked really well with dimarzio HS2’s. They are hum cancelling too and sound great. 
    Hmmm, I have some HS3’s in another guitar. Might be worth a swap-around.. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3378
    grungebob said:
    Hmmm, I have some HS3’s in another guitar. Might be worth a swap-around.. 
    No tired those but I’m guessing their similar. Let me know how you get on. 
  • PhilMPhilM Frets: 279
    I've got Oil City Stonetones in both my HSS Strats, both also have low output (ie less than 10k) bridge humbuckers. Seems to balance well, but pickup adjustment is the real key to getting a good balance
  • I like the Seymour Duncan SSL-1s. Nothing fancy, just good old classic, fairly low output Strat pickups. 
  • FezFez Frets: 542
    +1 For Stonetones
    Don't touch that dial.