Nitro or not

What's Hot
I bought a new USA strat in the year 2000. When you opened the case it had an addictive sweet smell. That smell lasted for a few years.  I miss that smell. 

The guitar now has some checking in the finish. I had never assumed it but did Fender finish their guitars in nitro then? How do I tell? It's definitely not thick poly like my other Fender. What other finishes did they use?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fender have traditionally used a polyester sealer (Fullerplast) and / or an acrylic base coat with a clear 'nitro' lacquer' over the top.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Depends on the model you have. Is it a Vintage or a Standard for example?
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• Thanks guys. The guitar is a standard USA strat. It's 3 colour sunburst and looks like an alder 3 piece body.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    mesatele said:
    I bought a new USA strat in the year 2000. When you opened the case it had an addictive sweet smell. That smell lasted for a few years.  I miss that smell.
    The case smell is the glue used to stick the lining in.

mesatele said:

The guitar now has some checking in the finish. I had never assumed it but did Fender finish their guitars in nitro then? How do I tell? It's definitely not thick poly like my other Fender. What other finishes did they use?
    If it's a USA Standard it's polyurethane.

https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-talk/the-science-and-style-of-finishes

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • All that time and I was just sniffing glue. 
    Thanks all. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom