Good nylon string electro-acoustic hybrid/crossover type guitar recommendations

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
Preferably under £500, certainly not too much over. I'd want something with a narrower neck than a typical full-on classical guitar, and also with a cutaway. Ideally something that sounds decent acoustically, but I'd have to say the amplified sounds more of a priority. Any suggestions appreciated, cheers.  :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the taylor gs mini is a marvel for its price

i love mine

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/taylor-gs-mini-404936
  • sorry just noticed you wanted a nylon string cross over
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    Went around and around this loop for a year or so. While above your budget I would recommend Godin ACS SLIM Nylon Natural SG - I got mine of FleaBay for £750. The build quality and playability is superb. Added bonus you have a MIDI pickup built in - lots of potential for experimentation. The other approach I took was to add a piezo pickup (circa. £220 with pre amp) to a Squire Stratocaster (£120 with free amp) then add nylon strings. This is a project to finish on one of those long dark winter evenings...    
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • tabanotabano Frets: 100
    Yamaha NCX900
    Yamha NCX700 if you really need to keep it around £500 but the 900 is well worth the extra £275 imho,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4931
    edited November 2018
    Crafter did (possibly still do) a range of nylon-string electro-acoustics at very reasonable prices - I'm sure several were within your budget. 

Not sure who imports them now - it used to be Sheehans in Leicester, but they've gone.

I've come across pro players using them, so they must be some good.

*edit* can't see any current dealers, so you might have to look second-hand...

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Whitecat said:
    Looks great - missed it though, and apparently top end of the budget. But clearly Takamine worth bearing in mind cheers.

sorry just noticed you wanted a nylon string cross over
    No worries!

4string said:
    Went around and around this loop for a year or so. While above your budget I would recommend Godin ACS SLIM Nylon Natural SG - I got mine of FleaBay for £750. The build quality and playability is superb. Added bonus you have a MIDI pickup built in - lots of potential for experimentation. The other approach I took was to add a piezo pickup (circa. £220 with pre amp) to a Squire Stratocaster (£120 with free amp) then add nylon strings. This is a project to finish on one of those long dark winter evenings...    
    Afraid £750 is definitely above budget, and don't think a nylon strat conversion would be for me, but interesting and thanks... :)

tabano said:
    Yamaha NCX900
    Yamha NCX700 if you really need to keep it around £500 but the 900 is well worth the extra £275 imho,
    Well, again the NCX900 I would have to say out of the running due to budget constraints. I'll have a look at the 700 though, cheers.

Nitefly said:
    Crafter did (possibly still do) a range of nylon-string electro-acoustics at very reasonable prices - I'm sure several were within your budget. 

Not sure who imports them now - it used to be Sheehans in Leicester, but they've gone.

I've come across pro players using them, so they must be some good.

*edit* can't see any current dealers, so you might have to look second-hand...

Hmm, yes I do remember seeing Crafters around a few years ago, but not so much lately. I'll have a look around for those though, cheers for the idea.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16152
    Nothing competes with Godin in this arena but the Yamaha silent guitars are great
    I've seen that one also - I do like the looks, which I know is not the main thing, but all the same...

Dominic said:
    Nothing competes with Godin in this arena but the Yamaha silent guitars are great
    Yep, just looking around online, and I have kind of got that impression re Godin - who knows just maybe if I could find a good second-hand Multiac. Cheers for the Yam silent guitar idea also.

Been looking at Cort CEC7, wonder what people think re those?
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    Yamaha APX - NA models would fit the bill. Been discontinued  for a while, but I owned a couple both cost £150ish used.
    The newer model was spruce top laminated mahogany body B Band electrics.
    The older model was cedar and rosewood all solid wood, but sounded dead as an acoustic. Weird stereo preamp that allowed you to split different string configurations -  bottom 3 strings into one speaker, top 3 into another or every second one into different amps (IIRC).
    Newer one had a much nicer neck profile than the older one and sounded better both acoustically and amplified.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72644
    Absolutely definitely not a Lag, or anything else with a Shadow Nanoflex pickup system... total unreliable crap. I've just replaced the pickup on one for a customer, and this is her *third* guitar because the first two failed under warranty - it was out of it this time.

I thought electro-acoustics were the work of Satan anyway, but this really takes the biscuit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Left-field choice - how about a Variax Nylon? Discontinued now, I think, but should be well within budget used.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    Yam -- gorgeous -- worth the cash.
    rpr said:
    Yamaha APX - NA models would fit the bill. Been discontinued  for a while, but I owned a couple both cost £150ish used.
    The newer model was spruce top laminated mahogany body B Band electrics.
    The older model was cedar and rosewood all solid wood, but sounded dead as an acoustic. Weird stereo preamp that allowed you to split different string configurations -  bottom 3 strings into one speaker, top 3 into another or every second one into different amps (IIRC).
    Newer one had a much nicer neck profile than the older one and sounded better both acoustically and amplified.

ICBM said:
    Absolutely definitely not a Lag, or anything else with a Shadow Nanoflex pickup system... total unreliable crap. I've just replaced the pickup on one for a customer, and this is her *third* guitar because the first two failed under warranty - it was out of it this time.

I thought electro-acoustics were the work of Satan anyway, but this really takes the biscuit.
    Left-field choice - how about a Variax Nylon? Discontinued now, I think, but should be well within budget used.

Grunfeld said:
    Yam -- gorgeous -- worth the cash.
    Thank you all, some interesting ideas and useful info - I will trust you re avoiding Lag/Shadow Nanoflex @ICBM - sounds like that could be an expensive mistake.