Best tortoiseshell pickguard for Jazzmaster?

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3920

I’m after a good quality tortoiseshell Jazzmaster pickguard. I’d really like a Spitfire one, but they’re ridiculously expensive these days. I’d rather not have a cheap, printed one – they don’t look right to me. Anyone got any suggestions? Cheers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's a bit of a gamble as they all vary, but the normal Fender ones look prety good to my eye. Not expensive either!
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    I've had WD Music's red tort pickguards for my jazzmaster and jag. Much better than the cheap ones I've had off eBay in the past.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I got a slightly warped but perfectly serviceable 60’s formless money than a new Spitfire. Still not cheap, but massively worth it
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Ask @miserneil I’m sure he could rustle something up, he has the correct material 
  • The only decent tortoiseshell scratchplates are vintage Fender and Spitfire. Everything else looks pretty naff, IMO. It's obviously hard to do well, or everyone would be doing it.
    They're not.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Jack’s Instrument Services will make you one with a real celluloid top layer. I have one on my Jaguar, nowhere near Spitfire quality obviously, but far better than printed ones. Not worth the expense unless it’s non-standard for some reason though, it’s probably comparable to the Fender replacement part.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've always had good quality from wdmusic in general but my tort one is Fender (not vintage, just a current stock one) and it looks great to me.

Suppose if you just have a Google for any Fender guitar that comes with tort as stock you'll see how much you like the look of their tort guards.
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    I have a couple of WD music real celluloid ones, probably don't need them both but I have a tendency to hoard Jazzmaster parts... I can take a couple of pictures tomorrow if you want to see what they look like and maybe you can twist my arm to sell one if you like them 

edit- found this picture -

it's decent stuff but yep obviously not a patch on the vintage stuff...

Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • francerfrancer Frets: 369
    edited November 2018
    I quite like the fenderparts ones you can buy off ebay or reverb, they’re a decent price and look pretty good (to me, anyways) and they’re celluloid.

Top tip - they’re usually pretty dull when they arrive but shine up really nicely with a bit of Brasso.

Yay! I finally cracked posting an image! Please tell me you guys can see them :)

• The only decent tortoiseshell scratchplates are vintage Fender and Spitfire. Everything else looks pretty naff, IMO. It's obviously hard to do well, or everyone would be doing it.
    They're not.
    This, in spades. ALL the others, without exception, look grim. Corned beef. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3920
    The only decent tortoiseshell scratchplates are vintage Fender and Spitfire. Everything else looks pretty naff, IMO. It's obviously hard to do well, or everyone would be doing it.
    They're not.
    Where can I get a used one from though, @GavRichList ?
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3920
    rexter said:
    I have a couple of WD music real celluloid ones, probably don't need them both but I have a tendency to hoard Jazzmaster parts... I can take a couple of pictures tomorrow if you want to see what they look like and maybe you can twist my arm to sell one if you like them 

edit- found this picture -

it's decent stuff but yep obviously not a patch on the vintage stuff...

Thanks, @rexter ;. I might see if I can find a Spitfire or vintage one first.
  • Lebarque said:
    The only decent tortoiseshell scratchplates are vintage Fender and Spitfire. Everything else looks pretty naff, IMO. It's obviously hard to do well, or everyone would be doing it.
    They're not.
    when I bought a Spitfire for my old AVRI, I got it from OSG. I put a wanted ad up, and had a couple of responses pretty swiftly. I ended up with a great one, never used, and it was a LOT cheaper than the advertised prices. 
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Lebarque said:
    They're not.
    when I bought a Spitfire for my old AVRI, I got it from OSG. I put a wanted ad up, and had a couple of responses pretty swiftly. I ended up with a great one, never used, and it was a LOT cheaper than the advertised prices. 
    And now it's mine...MINE!!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8814
    Not really an answer to the question posed, @Lebarque but I really really rate Spitfire’s work (albeit that it is ludicrous sums to spend on a bit of plastic, but what price GAS obsessiveness?!)

Heres my own humble example.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer