Devonians Required!

Where to go?

I went to Cornwall a while back but still think there are parts of Devon worth seeing. I want to be off in a couple of weeks.

I've stayed in Ilfracombe and Torquay. I liked Torquay, but wasn't too keen on Ilfracombe.

I have visited Tavistock, Plymouth, Paignton, Brixham, Woolacombe, Clovelly, Salcombe, Dartmouth, Dartmoor(Moretonhampstead and Postbridge), Lynmouth and Lynton.

Some of the visited places I would love to go back to but I like trying new places.

As it stands there is Exmouth, Dawlish and Teignmouth on the missing list, I may have missed some out.

I don't know if I want quaint and secluded or seaside resort with good music scene.

Any lovelly Devon places you recommend?

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7860
    I'm a huge fan of Exmouth, having been there many times over the years for holidays, but I'm not sure of its appeal to those who don't have family living there.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

As a kid I went to Kingsbridge regularly.

That was a long time ago, but it (certainly used to be) a nice town.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• bertiebertie Frets: 13574
    edited August 2013
    Id avoid exmouth/sandy bay unless you specifically need the sandy beaches for littl'uns

Try  -  Topsham / Exminster  / Lympstone (not the commando training camp !!)  for more 'quaint estuary' 

go a bit further north from Moreton, and hit Chagford and the surrounding east Dartmoor fringes/villages - stunning countryside, as is east Devon approaching Dorset 

I cant recommend my hometown for it has become..............lets just say less than salubrious !!  :D  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Don't go so far, stop at Dorset, so nice I stayed for good.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4667
    My hometown of Exeter is full of hidden gems, the cathedral is stunning. Double locks is a great pub. Pity the maritime museum has gone. A must visit is the highwayman pub on the western side of dartmoor.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5870

@Axe_meister

I remember seeing that pub (A386?) when I nipped into Tavistock for the day before driving over Dartmoor. Looks a great place.

:)

@koneguitarist

Yes, Dorset is also one of my Faves, I loved the gig scene in Weymouth. Bournemouth down to Swanage very nice too. Anywhere from the Isle of Wight right down to Cornwall is lovelly.

Not being unkind to the South-East because I did like Eastbourne and Brighton was ok for a visit.

The coastline just gets better towards the west.

Cheers.

@bertie

Thanks for the recommendations. I wanted to make sure on here as all the tourist guides will tell you they are wonderful places,but I've read that Exmouth had gone down in estimations. Trouble is, you never know, things get said about a lot of places and you might go and find they aren't that bad.

I take it you meant "Exmouth" was your hometown? Is the same to be said for Dawlish and Teignmouth about becoming less favourable?

I would say I want to be near the coast, but, can't decide where.

Oh well, plenty of time yet.

~O)
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4667
    No I meant Exeter. Not a costal town mind

@Axe_meister

I think you may have read my reply to Bertie instead of my reply to you.

;)
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13574
    edited August 2013

I take it you meant "Exmouth" was your hometown? Is the same to be said for Dawlish and Teignmouth about becoming less favourable?

no and yes.

my hometown is Okehampton "gateway to dartmoor"  (or so the marketing blurb used to say)  there have been some 'irreversible' changes there over the last 20 years or so, that I think has ripped a lot of the old "charm"  

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11480
    Dawlish and Teignmouth are nicer than Exmouth imo although Exmouth is easier to get to.

If you want beaches then North Devon has nicer beaches - especially Croyde.

There are other things to do North or South.  In North Devon you have Exmoor.  In South Devon you have Dartmoor.  I think Paignton zoo is meant to be quite good these days as well.

If you have a car then you could stay inland somewhere - a lot of farmers offer B&B to get extra income and then go to a few different places.

@bertie

It's a shame, it seems a lot of places are going the same way.

:(