NGDs - Peach Guitars & Coda Music online purchase story and recommendations (PRS DGT & Martin HD28)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13968
    edited November 2018
    Misty said:
    Lovely guitars, congrats. 7lbs for a DGT is great; mine is just a tiny tad over 8 lbs, which I'm happy with, best PRS ever IMO. 

I know, it feels weird having a dual humbucker guitar this light, I seem to always expect a meaty sounding dual HM guitar to be a heavy 8 1/2 or 9lb beast. The light weight doesn't equal a light tone, it's a snarly little fecker, but feels light like a nice LP Jr or Special.

I've had PRS before  - CU22, CU24, Modern Eagle, CE24 Mahogany, Singlecut Trem, Singlecut Satin Soapbar (which was particularly nice) but agree that this is the best. I love the McCarty switching (not a fan of the clunky 5 way), jumbo frets, the pickups and the neck carve. Plus it's the nicest looking PRS I've owned and I prefer the trem models to the stop bar as I think PRS feel too 'Gibson' with a stopbar.

The neck carve is so good that I just didn't notice it, normally I notice if it's a thin 60s Fender neck, or a fat 50s Gibson but I just grabbed the DGT and started playing without noticing the profile at all, feels just right.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a long search for a light DGT to replace my too heavy one.  Eventually ended up with one that was 7lbs 11oz (also from Coda).  Took me a couple of years to find.  7lb DGTs are very rare this side of the pond (light ones seem to be much less rare in the US).
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5420
    I'd be ever-so grateful if people could stop posting stuff about really nice DGTs.  Never played one, but have the irrational horn for one, and have just made the fateful "no more guitars" promise to Mrs Snags.  Not to mention the issue of funds.

Still, it's a thought for the next Significant Birthday I suppose.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    <----- Adds Coda to list of people to consider when buying.  
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7180
    I'll happily take all the heavy DGTs if people don't want them.
  • Coda really earn their reputation.  One of the companies you can be confident in recommending to other people, any time I've had an issue they've sorted it very quickly and professionally.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13968
    edited November 2018

Sorry @snags

The only thing I wasn't sure about on the DGT was the extra volume for the neck pickup, it's a little odd having the neck volume below the bridge volume, opposite to both Strats and Les Pauls. Not an issue, just different.

I thought the 2 knob McCarty layout would have been good enough for me until I realised than unlike a McCarty I can blend pickups on the middle toggle 'both pickups on' position, you can get some nice blends between neck and bridge by adjusting volumes, just like you can on a Les Paul...great for light overdrive bluesy tones...

...now I get it.

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5420
    You're not helping.
  • Snags said:
    You're not helping.
    OK I'll try to help.

I gassed for a DGT for ages and have had two.  They are tremendous guitars.  But: the one thing I don't like about them is the volume knob layout.  Frankly I'd prefer a single volume knob.  And if there's going to be two, I'd prefer the Gibson layout, because it's what I'm used to.

I see the logic of having the bridge pickup volume control closer to hand if you spend most of your time on that pickup.  But I'd stil prefer the familiar.

If I was playing the DGT enough I'd probably mod the bridge volume to be a single volume control.

Which is pretty ironic when you consider a single volume control comes as standard on so many PRSs. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Blueingreen said:
    But: the one thing I don't like about them is the volume knob layout.  Frankly I'd prefer a single volume knob.  And if there's going to be two, I'd prefer the Gibson layout, because it's what I'm used to.

I see the logic of having the bridge pickup volume control closer to hand if you spend most of your time on that pickup.  But I'd stil prefer the familiar.

If I was playing the DGT enough I'd probably mod the bridge volume to be a single volume control.

Which is pretty ironic when you consider a single volume control comes as standard on so many PRSs. 
    When I first got mine, the neck pick-up volume seemed awkward - but having owned an old 335 for many years, the ability to blend in the middle position is really good. 

Now I’ve got used to it - and ‘forgotten’ that previous PRS guitars I’ve owned only had one volume - I really like it. I accept it takes quite a period of adjustment though.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5191
    Blueingreen said:
    But: the one thing I don't like about them is the volume knob layout.  Frankly I'd prefer a single volume knob.  And if there's going to be two, I'd prefer the Gibson layout, because it's what I'm used to.

When I first got mine, the neck pick-up volume seemed awkward - but having owned an old 335 for many years, the ability to blend in the middle position is really good. 

Now I’ve got used to it - and ‘forgotten’ that previous PRS guitars I’ve owned only had one volume - I really like it. I accept it takes quite a period of adjustment though.
    Absolutely....I like the middle position with a bit more treble bridge pickup bite, and the ability to dial this is ace with 2 volumes  :)