Blocked trem question

What's Hot
daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
So, my partscaster has its trem blocked because thats what I always do. Mainly on account of being rubbish with a trem basically. Its a Wudtone, with a Callaham block. Is this overkill for a blocked trem? Woukd I get the same result with a cheaper trem?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I bought a cheap Wilkinson tremolo (£30) for my Mexican Strat, wasn't impressed.

I ended up leaving the original one in because the 2009 / 10s have a heavy block and it was far more solid than the Wilkinson.

I believe the more expensive Wilkinson terms are much better quality. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14469
    tFB Trader
    Not overkill  - It is also about the tone that a good trem block will give and a cheap version, made with monkey metal, won't give
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    In my G&L SC3 I have blocked the trem off with a bit of walnut that I sanded until the bridge (floating) stayed level against the string tension after the springs were removed. Sounds okay to me. Not sure if anything commercially available brings anything new to the table. Before I used the bit of walnut I used a bit of wood the I'd sawn off an old wooden clothes peg! It was almost the exact width I needed and they are (or were in the 1980's) hardwood.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72751
    It’s only slight overkill because if you don’t use the trem, the extra ‘tweaks’ these parts have are a bit wasted - but if you replace it with something cheaper you’ll probably notice the difference.

The best solution is to use the trem ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    It’s only slight overkill because if you don’t use the trem, the extra ‘tweaks’ these parts have are a bit wasted - but if you replace it with something cheaper you’ll probably notice the difference.

The best solution is to use the trem ;).
    I'd be up for learning to use the trem on my Strat but when it's not blocked I have to tune each string about 5 times for them to actually be in tune! That's the reason I block mine.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72751
    thegummy said:

I'd be up for learning to use the trem on my Strat but when it's not blocked I have to tune each string about 5 times for them to actually be in tune! That's the reason I block mine.
    It's usually the nut which causes tuning issues with trem use, not the bridge. They can be made to work very well with a little attention. When I first started playing I thought the same, and blocked off the trem on my Strat copy - but now I wouldn't be without one, it just adds an extra bit of expressiveness that you can't get without it - and it doesn't go out of tune. Same model of guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom