Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Cheap as Chips Andertons Brand...

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12215
Looks like Lee Anderton has done a deal with the Far East to make bargainous guitars for him under the "Eastcoast" brand.

These things look incredible value, if you get a playable guitar for these prices you are in Harley Benton territory for sure.

I really want to try a few of these.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Is it just me or do they not sound nice at all?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12215
    thegummy said:
    I think they vary a bit to be honest, I thought the SG one through the Katana sounded nice.

They were using cheaper amps than usual as well.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    thegummy said:
    I think they vary a bit to be honest, I thought the SG one through the Katana sounded nice.

They were using cheaper amps than usual as well.
    I based that on the intro with the kind of Tele one and the Strat. The hollow body one actually sounded less bad surprisingly.
    WTF they've got one with bird inlays!

That's surely not right!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7903

Eastcoast is also sold by PMT and has been for a few years (assuming it's the same factory/company) - if so, some are ok-ish and some are awful-ish.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah was about to say, Eastcoast have been in PMT stores for years. Let's just say that I wouldn't even use one to hammer in tent pegs.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1686
    thegummy said:

That's surely not right!
    Not my cup of tea - but that was my favourite sounding. I also like Captain Lee's haircut in this.
    I'm going to keep a note of this link for when people say that the gear doesn't matter when it's a great player :P 

Obviously it's being harsh when it's 150 quid for the guitar and amp.

If what they're saying about the fretwork being good and each guitar being set up in store then it obviously is significantly better than most things in the price range.

Quite surprising that they would put that labour cost of the set up in when they're selling the whole package for such a low price.
  • Paul_C said:

Eastcoast is also sold by PMT and has been for a few years (assuming it's the same factory/company) - if so, some are ok-ish and some are awful-ish.
    Eastcoast has been around for a while, presumably as Andertons and PMT now have this buying partnership these are part of that. 

thegummy said:
    I haven't watched the video in the OP but last night I was watching an Andertons video of something I was interested in and that sounded awful. They had a few videos with horrendous sound mix issues on this year, I'm not having a go at any of them as characters but they don't seem to take much care over these videos any more. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Yuk! Andertons just joined up with other retailers' race to the bottom. I've seen these in PMT and they don't stack up against Harley Benton.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited November 2018
    They do look very interesting. The GV320 in the spalted maple top looks nice.

As said in another thread recently though a good guitarist can make anything sound good.
  • thegummy said:
    I'm going to keep a note of this link for when people say that the gear doesn't matter when it's a great player :P 

Obviously it's being harsh when it's 150 quid for the guitar and amp.

If what they're saying about the fretwork being good and each guitar being set up in store then it obviously is significantly better than most things in the price range.

Quite surprising that they would put that labour cost of the set up in when they're selling the whole package for such a low price.
    I wouldn't trust Andertons' claim that guitars are set up in store at all. I once bought a jazzmaster that had the saddles all over the place, and when I asked if they could set it up prior to purchase, I was just handed an allen key and told to do it myself.

Recently I also tried a Jazz Bass that they were selling second-hand. The frets had been filed down to flat stumps and any fretting above about the 7th fret was dead on any string. I pointed it out to the sales guy and he just said it seemed fine to him.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Paul_C said:

Eastcoast has been around for a while, presumably as Andertons and PMT now have this buying partnership these are part of that. 
    If that's true then it's very disingenuous that he's making out they painstakingly researched the market to find which low end guitars were the best quality when really it was just part of the package deal they had signed up to.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1012
    thegummy said:

That's surely not right!
    Just spotted one behind him with the Sharkfin inlays...a la Ibanez  :/
    King85 said:
    They do look very interesting. The GV320 in the spalted maple top looks nice.

As said in another thread recently though a good guitarist can make anything sound good.
    Did you watch the video?

Danish Pete is unquestionably a good guitarist and that strat did not sound good!
  • Paul_C said:

Looks like exactly the same stuff to me...

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/brands/eastcoast/
  • PMT list Eastcoast guitars  in their catalogue but most of the 6-strings don't seem to be in stock right now. - none in their shops; its mail order only.

The Eastcoast bases are well stocked in PMT shops. Prices all the same as Andertons BUT Andertons claim to do a full setup before handing it over, which PMT don't (though they say they'll do any adjustments needed.)

• thegummy said:
    Paul_C said:

If that's true then it's very disingenuous that he's making out they painstakingly researched the market to find which low end guitars were the best quality when really it was just part of the package deal they had signed up to.
    Obviously I don't know but if they did painstakingly research the market they probably wasted their time when their business partners were already selling these.
    They don't appear on the GG site, interesting to see if they do at some point although it may be that GG have less interest in stocking budget models 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    They may well have painstakingly researched the PMT website...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14701
    The twenty four fret model that appears at 4:40 looks suspiciously like something that Shine Guitars would make.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.