red box output??

musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
Ok am looking at a low power amp for home , mainly recording . The hughes and kettner tubemeister 5 looks interesting. In particular that it can run the line out without playing via a speaker . I intend to run into a focusrite scarlett audio interface.

But... What is the "red box" line out.? Does it replace the audio interface....?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I have the Tubemeister 18C and as far as I am aware the Red Box out is a DI so it can go straight into a mixer/console etc.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17946
    tFB Trader
    Red Box is an H&K product that produces a DI output from an amp. You will still need a soundcard. 
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    OK so it becomes a line level for mixer , but for recording I assume I will still need the AD convertor , which is OK as I intend to use the Scarlett.

I have a line out on my current amp , but no way of silencing it whilst recording which is anti social .

I have a 1 x 12 cab so am looking at the head only.

Richard what is your opinion of the HK ? I am looking mainly for clean sound that compresses well with a little tube breakup when picked hard.

I will record usually clean and add effects afterwards..... 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    I found the Red Box (stand-alone one) sound a bit muddy and flat-sounding - not bad for a quick fix to a PA, but it wouldn't be my first choice for recording.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I like the TM18.  I bought is a 'grab and go' amp for when I cannot be bothered to set up my bigger amps. It wasn't cheap but it is surprisingly versatile.  It (to me) behaves much more like a 'big' amp than it's size and power suggests.  It isn't as instantly warm sounding as a Blues Junior, possibly because it has separate clean and drive channels and has a more 'European' sound, if that makes sense. If you can run to it the 18 might be a bit more useful, it has the power scaling and might be easier to set up for clean with digging in crunch.

Build quality is excellent, decent ply cabinet, cleverly designed to get a bigger sound from the 10" speaker. It has also taken a while for the speaker to break in and this has definitely improved the tone, although I am tempted to try something like a Ragin' Cajun in it to open it up even more.

I haven't used the Red Box out so unfortunately cannot comment on how well it works. Perhaps as it's built in and part of the amp design it will be better than a stand alone unit.

It does look cool when it's all lit up blue as well!
    Mmm, so far looks the right spec for me , but. ICBM has made me wonder.
    Ok to explain a little more . I already have a 1 x 12 cab with a 16 ohm speaker so a head would be enough .
    Looking to be able to use as a practice amp with valve goodness at bedroom levels.
    I am also looking to record with it using a line out ( tried using mikes but in a house with teenage kids and a wife that decides to hoover at the wrong time , a good line out ensures domestic bliss !)
    My current amp has a line out , but has to run through the speaker at the same time and at 15 valve watts is too loud at the right just starting to break up sound.
    I would look for fairly clean sound that gives that edge of break up when digging in.
    When recording will only want a dry signal so I can play with the effects after ....
    Any other suggestions ??
    I can email you a copy of the TM18 manual if it would be of use.
    A dummy load and a stand-alone Red Box will do the job with your current amp, and will let you hear whether you like the sound - in fact, if your software includes speaker emulation you don't even need the Red Box.

You can build the dummy load for about a tenner - a 50W resistor in a metal casing connected to a cable and a plug will do the job nicely.

Actually I have something like that lying around... I'll check the spec but I'm pretty sure it would do the job.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Oh , that is very interesting ICBM. If you have the spec I have a techy friend who I am sure will knock one up for me .
    Thks Richard I'll pm my email
    This is why I love this forum , share a problem and there is always good advice !!!
    If you have someone local who can make one it's easy - a 22-ohm 50W resistor is perfect... the impedance of a speaker is 'nominal' rather than exact, and they vary over the audio range - the average value is somewhat higher. You need a 50W resistor because a cranked 15W amp could put out up to 30W fully distorted, so a 25W one isn't quite enough. Mount it in a metal box to dissipate the heat and that's it done.

Manual on it's way.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1682
    Which Scarlet interface do you have?
    The 2i2 does not have a lot of headroom on the instrument or line input (tho' the later ones are said to be better)
    If you are getting a load box made get the guy to fit a 5k log pot on the output.  An earth isolating transformer is also a good idea. I can pop you a gash OEP 1200 in a jiffy if you want?

Dave.
    edited April 2014
    Thks agaiin will have a word with my tech friend .
    Hi Dave it is fairly new , bought about 6 months ago and yes it is a 2i2 ... Sorry lost me at the end there but will expect my tech friend to understand it. '-).
    If it matters, the one I have is an exact 16-ohm load and uses what looks like a 50W resistor. (I didn't build it and it's hard to see inside the casing!) I'd be happy to sell you it for a tenner if your mate can't make you one cheaply enough.

Sounds like a deal pm me with your email and let me know how you want to be paid and the postage , etc and will sort it out .
    Sounds like a perfect solution !
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1682
    Thks agaiin will have a word with my tech friend .
    Hi Dave it is fairly new , bought about 6 months ago and yes it is a 2i2 ... Sorry lost me at the end there but will expect my tech friend to understand it. '-).
    See w'appen when you get what you are getting . Nothing will smoke. Any queries, PM me.

Dave.
    Many thks Dave .
    ICBM  sent by paypal yesterday ... hope received OK.