Exilir fakes?

What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 616
Just got some strings off eBay..they just seem dead...does anybody know off they are doing fake strings now...? Somethings just not right with them soundwise 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1960
    edited December 2018
    I used to buy Dean Markleys off ebay by default and then they started arriving rusty in places and snapped easy, so I switched sellers (twice) and experienced the same.

I just go to the local shop for Rotosounds now, but all my guitar heroes played Markleys.

Dodgy strings are a pain in the arse, especially if you buy bulk.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Been fakes of all brands on eBay for many years, some Amazon sellers too. 
    I always get my Elixirs when the 3 for 2 deals are on. 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • If they say Exilir on the pack, they’re definitely fakes.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If they say Exilir on the pack, they’re definitely fakes.
    Yeah... dyslexic fekas.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8190
    If they say Exilir on the pack, they’re definitely fakes.
    Yeah... dyslexic fekas.
    Thank dog they are apparently close to finding a comb for it.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    If they say Exilir on the pack, they’re definitely fakes.
    Yeah that will be me who can't spell :)
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Next question ...where is the best place to get strings that are not fake ..no local music shops around here :)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited December 2018
    Barney said:
    Next question ...where is the best place to get strings that are not fake ..no local music shops around here
    https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/

Or Amazon, just make sure it's actually from Amazon and not a third part seller.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hotrox also sell them, and there's a 3-for-2 offer on at the moment. I'd avoid eBay or Amazon.
  • It's got to be Stringsdirect shurely? Brilliant service. If you put your order in by lunchtime
    they're here next day. Free shipping over ££30.   :)
  • Yeah a few years ago I ordered 10 sets of Elixirs on ebay from a private seller. The price was about £10 less than anywhere else. Strings arrived. Started re-stringing my guitar and the top E snapped when tuning up to pitch. Went through 2 top E strings, both snapped. Checked the rest of the strings and they clearly were not coated as per real Elixir strings. So they were obviously fakes. I reported it to ebay who issued a refund within a couple of days, they also instructed me to destroy the remainder of the strings. (I just threw them in the bin).

As far as retailers I normally shop around. I use D'addario XL's 10-46 now and buy them in packs of 10, so I will just see who is selling them the cheapest when I'm ready to buy. I've used Bax Shop in the past and Gear4music.
  • I got a load of fake Elixir strings off eBay, eventually talked the seller into a full refund and letting me keep the strings. I donated the strings to schools where I teach. 

The new Elixir packaging is hard to fake, so most fakes still come in the old packaging. They changed quite a while ago now, so I doubt there's much genuine NOS left. I would assume any packets that look like this are fake:

The envelopes on the fakes are also different. There are a few tells. I found a good guide at the time and used that to support my claim on eBay. I can't find the exact one I used now, but there are quite a few results on Google for fake Elixir strings.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    I bought some fake elixirs. 2 odd things. the envelopes where plastic wrapped inside. and the threads on they were excessively wrapped at the ends of the strings so it made them impossible to use on my wrap over bridge.