Advice about a Les Paul Standard please....

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5028
After realising that I never play my CS Strat, and really only like guitars with holes in them, I decided to sell it. I had a message from a nice chap offering me a 2005 Les Paul Standard in Caffe Latte(!) - looks to be very good condition, original case, no candy (did they come with candy?), no pickguard (did they come with pickguard?), with a couple of what are described as 'hairline cracks in the lacquer around the tone and volume knobs'.

I'm not big into Les Pauls, know nothing about them (my R6 is nice and that will do for me for now) and don't really want it, so would probably look to sell it. I wouldn't normally consider a part-ex (plus cash) but he seems a nice guy, so I said I'd look at it, and would like to be in a position where I didn't get landed with it and stood a chance of selling it fairly easily. I don't want to or need to make any money out of it, and want to give the chap a fair deal. 

Any things to look out for? Is the spec/colour desirable/undesirable? Popular model/year, etc? Is it worth the £1350 that's been mentioned for it? I genuinely know nothing about them, so any pointers would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. :-)
Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That price (or maybe a little less) is about right for that era of LP Standard. Though I would assume the colour might be a bit hard to shift.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5420
    Far from an LP expert, but I wouldn't expect a Standard to come with much beyond hang tags and some advertising bumf.  Possibly a certificate?

It would have had a pickguard when new, though, I'd have thought - hence the perennial "on or off" war to the death debate amongst LP owners.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5028
    Thanks - the colour sounds a bit grim, but looks nice (well, it does to me anyway). I don't know how colour sensitive Les Pauls are - I suppose everything is to an extent. 
    Call me Dave.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6121
    Though I would assume the colour might be a bit hard to shift.

Has to be worth a wis. It's a pretty naff colour, esp on a LP, so you could be looking for a buyer for a while.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Snags said:
    Far from an LP expert, but I wouldn't expect a Standard to come with much beyond hang tags and some advertising bumf.  Possibly a certificate?

It would have had a pickguard when new, though, I'd have thought - hence the perennial "on or off" war to the death debate amongst LP owners.
    Well - no pickguard ever, and no holes, so I'm told. I don't even know if it was an 'option' - told you I know nothing! :-)
    Call me Dave.
    JezWynd said:
    Though I would assume the colour might be a bit hard to shift.

Has to be worth a wis. It's a pretty naff colour, esp on a LP, so you could be looking for a buyer for a while.
    Hmm - good point. I wis'd it and I'll wis you too. So to speak. 
    Call me Dave.
  • The 2002-2007 LPs came with the guard in the case so the owner had the choice, iirc. I can't imagine that being a dealbreaker for any rational human, mind you.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    The 2002-2007 LPs came with the guard in the case so the owner had the choice, iirc. I can't imagine that being a dealbreaker for any rational human, mind you.
    Thanks, that's helpful. This one is supposed to be wholly holeless so that's curious. Cheers.
    Call me Dave.
  • Take the money.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    monoamine said:
    Take the money.
    Yes, definitely this. It's a horrid colour and there are one or two on eBay that have been there a good while. I wouldn't pay half that for one, actually. 
    Hmm - yes, I've just had a look at a few examples in that colour. I can see that being hard to shift. Not the nicest. Thanks
    Call me Dave.
  • Nowhere near worth 1350.  A desirable colour maybe 1200.  That colour free
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14605
    +1 for a cash only sale.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I agreed - that’s a generous valuation and could take a long time to sell for that price.  

It should have had the pickguard in the case and some basic ticklist type glossy paperwork but imo the lack of those wouldn’t affect a sale massively if someone wanted that particular colour. 
    Thanks for all the input - I'm inclined to agree. Cheers, all. 
    Call me Dave.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    If you're just looking to sell either best sell the one you know.
  • Oh god... I just googled that colour!
    fftc said:
    If you're just looking to sell either best sell the one you know.
    Totally agree. Wiz for you. :-)
    Call me Dave.
  • Not a nice colour at all. These are the guitars we should be refinishing :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11484
    Like @thermionic I just searched for the colour.  That is hideous.  It's worse than the green Gibson in the acoustics section, and that is saying something.

Work out what a refinish would cost, and the devalution from not having an original factory finish, and subtract that from the value.