East Coast vs PRS SS. Andertons vid.

What's Hot
fftcfftc Frets: 559
Proof, as if it were needed, that good players can make 'affordable' guitars sound good when played through expensive rigs.

I still fancy a Silver Sky though!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I caught this earlier. Pete is a ludicrous player, & the pair of them are by far the best pairing on Andertons.

I like the SS too! No chance I'd go for a white one, though...
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Obviously for Andertons it's shameless clickbait to generate YouTube income and free advertising but for anyone else, seriously, what's the point of this?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    Obviously for Andertons it's shameless clickbait to generate YouTube income and free advertising but for anyone else, seriously, what's the point of this?
    Exactly! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete just plays effortlessly - such great timing, phrasing and dynamics. I thought the SS sounded superb.
  • Forget about the advertising, and enjoy the musicianship.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I'd rather listen to Grateful Dead for my quota of pentatonic noodlement thank you.
    mbe said:
    I'd rather listen to Grateful Dead for my quota of pentatonic noodlement thank you.
    What about Dead & Co.?
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    edited December 2018 tFB Trader
    thegummy said:

They have been doing a few of these... which are obviously pushing the East Coast stuff..

Rabs said:
    thegummy said:

They have been doing a few of these... which are obviously pushing the East Coast stuff..

I saw that video's title on YouTube, didn't realise it was an East Coast plug.

To be honest I'm about 90% jaded to Andertons these days. I still occasionally watch some of their stuff but I find a lot of their stuff to be not far off propaganda. Or to use less dramatic language, at least a disguised infomercial.

Maybe it's always been like that and I was too naive to notice at first. Maybe I've bought gear because they've tricked me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Retailer uses own free Youtube channel to help promote sales. A few people grumble.

Wow, stop the press.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • From way back in the 1960s when Harry Anderton opened the small shop in Hayden Place Guilford they’ve been all about selling. Lee Anderton is just continuing that tradition, the YouTube videos have always been about moving product, nothing wrong with that, in fact many people find them quite entertaining . I’ve not watched one for some time having become a bit bored with the format but I’m sure most people see them for what they are, an entertaining, clever, relatively cheap way of selling guitars etc. 
  • thegummy said:

To be honest I'm about 90% jaded to Andertons these days. I still occasionally watch some of their stuff but I find a lot of their stuff to be not far off propaganda. Or to use less dramatic language, at least a disguised infomercial.

And the biggest thing they are selling is the whole 'Monkey lord / Chappers / The Captain / your ideal guitar-playing mate down the pub' image that they have carefully cultivated. (Which is largely, as Anderton once admitted, a product of Chapman's marketing nous.) They know that if you buy into that, then you are already primed to buy whatever it is you are interested in from them, and the selling of any particular piece of kit is just the final closure. 
    thegummy said:

And the biggest thing they are selling is the whole 'Monkey lord / Chappers / The Captain / your ideal guitar-playing mate down the pub' image that they have carefully cultivated. (Which is largely, as Anderton once admitted, a product of Chapman's marketing nous.) They know that if you buy into that, then you are already primed to buy whatever it is you are interested in from them, and the selling of any particular piece of kit is just the final closure. 
    I've heard it compared to Top Gear which I thought was quite spot on.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    I just had to check again, but I'm pretty sure that this video is with Pete and Rabea, so how come we've got the old 'bash Lee and Rob' routine going on again?
    fftc said:
    I just had to check again, but I'm pretty sure that this video is with Pete and Rabea, so how come we've got the old 'bash Lee and Rob' routine going on again?
    Because it's Lee's channel and a Rob was mentioned to say that it was largely his brainchild according to Lee.
  • I've seen a video by an American chap about buying one of these cheap beginner £100 Strats and paying double the price due to shipping. 

Completely pointless. It's just a cheap Strat.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I've seen a video by an American chap about buying one of these cheap beginner £100 Strats and paying double the price due to shipping. 

That's almost like selling coals to Newcastle.
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    I've seen a video by an American chap about buying one of these cheap beginner £100 Strats and paying double the price due to shipping. 

To be fair he did it for the video and clearly states that whilst it's probably worth buying in Europe there are other better options for the American market.
  • Paul7926 said:

To be fair he did it for the video and clearly states that whilst it's probably worth buying in Europe there are other better options for the American market.
    But why would any American buy a cheap Strat from the UK just because it is from Andertons?! We already knew there was no point.
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    Paul7926 said:

But why would any American buy a cheap Strat from the UK just because it is from Andertons?! We already knew there was no point.
    I agree with you there but then there is 'no point' to the vast majority of reviews and comparison videos out there at the moment.  Well the point is to get views rather than do anything particularly insightful or useful.