Shiflett tele vs Les Paul

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3408
Interested in the collective wisdom of the FB on a Les Paul Tribute vs the Shiflett Tele?
Looking for all opinions, but in particular from those that have played or owned both. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hmmm... I haven't played either. Just had a look at the specs of the Tele, it's a12" radius neck with medium jumbo frets. I think I'd go for that.

Has it got to be one of those two? I've got one of these on order:

Which would seem similar, without anyone's signature on the headstock (not that I have anything against signature models, they're just not for me)

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    edited December 2018
    My tele with humbuckers sounds exactly like that - a tele with humbuckers. Very different to a Les Paul in my opinion. Also never been a fan of Deluxe tele's with that odd looking huge pickguard. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1586
    I'd have thought one main consideration would be whether you prefer fender or gibson scale necks?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 561
    I'm the opposite : I love Deluxe Telecasters but this one has quite a chunky neck which can put people off a little . . . Ive tried on at PMT ages back and through the amp in the shop it was excellent but I didn't take to the big neck as I dont have massive hands   . . . Great guitar though and of the two Id be going with the Fender especially on build quality & tone
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• I built my take on a Shiflett Tele (not a Fender one) last year after adding several Foo Fighters songs to my repertoire. 

https://i.imgur.com/39oAnLo.jpg

FWIW, the specs are:
    Guitar build Alder body
    NW Guitars neck
    IronGear Dirty Torque/Blues Engine pickups
    Crimson Guitars stain & oil finish
    Harness- done myself with CTS parts 

It's a great rock guitar & as you'd expect nails that Foo Fighters sound. 
    It has more snap & less "warmth" than the Edwards LP it replaced. I think this may be due to a combination of scale length & body material (mine is 2 piece Alder). 
    To my ears it's closest to an SG rather than LP in tone, especially clean. 

it's become one of my favourite general purpose guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3408
    @stimpsonslostson ;
    So if I undersatnd correctly this replaced a LP. for you.

Would there be any reason (other than blatant GAS) to own both of them -or do they do basically the same thing, but in a slightly different way? 

Mr Shiflett himself often plays both these hot rodded tele's and Les Pauls. But then I suppose he is a rich and famous rock star.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    NelsonP said:
    @stimpsonslostson ;
    So if I undersatnd correctly this replaced a LP. for you.

Would there be any reason (other than blatant GAS) to own both of them -or do they do basically the same thing, but in a slightly different way? 

Mr Shiflett himself often plays both these hot rodded tele's and Les Pauls. But then I suppose he is a rich and famous rock star.
    Pretty much.  Slash would sound like Slash on a HH tele to 99% of people, guitarists included, there will be a difference in tone, but only under analytical listening
    Hmmm... I haven't played either. Just had a look at the specs of the Tele, it's a12" radius neck with medium jumbo frets. I think I'd go for that.

Has it got to be one of those two? I've got one of these on order:

Which would seem similar, without anyone's signature on the headstock (not that I have anything against signature models, they're just not for me)

Specs on that look very nice - compound radius neck and Seymour Duncans.

Personally (and each to his own and all that) i prefer the look of the Shiflett version.
    Money no object I would be looking at these. But money is a big object.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited December 2018
    I was looking at one of these before and the conclusion was I already had a dual humbucker guitar, and probably wouldn't notice much of a difference between one of these and my LP. There will be a difference but I don't think it's as pronounced as "internet wisdom" dictates. I bet with some fat sounding pickups in there you'd be hard pressed to pick the difference between the two guitars.
  • TTBZ said:
    I was looking at one of these before and the conclusion was I already had a dual humbucker guitar, and probably wouldn't notice much of a difference between one of these and my LP. There will be a difference but I don't think it's as pronounced as "internet wisdom" dictates. I bet with some fat sounding pickups in there you'd be hard pressed to pick the difference between the two guitars.
    Yup. I'd agree. 
    I've seen Chris play the same song on a LP and his Tele at different gigs with no appreciable difference to my ears. 

I built mine as I like building Partscasters, love Teles and don't seem to get on with LPs- I find them uncomfortable (& usually heavy). 

Is there any BETTER reason for a new guitar than "I want it & can afford it"? 

• Is there any BETTER reason for a new guitar than "I want it & can afford it"? 
    Nope. That pretty much nails it, right there :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8014
    I’ve liked the Shiflett more than any LP I’ve played. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5805
    I had @TheMarlin’s Shiflett here at the same time as I had a LP tribute. So about as similar as the two get. 

They did feel very different but hearing them, eyes closed, playing the same stuff through the same set up, there was really naff all difference. 

For what it’s worth, I love teles but I didn’t bond with the Shiflett at all. 
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 641
    Just throwing this into the mix too, the Squier Master Series Telecaster:

https://reverb.com/au/item/3243507-squier-master-series-chambered-telecaster-black - the listing has ended but good example of the guitar and price.

Bonus for these is that they have all the LP accompaniments including the set neck, tun'o'matic style bridge and stop tail and the 24.75" scale length. Much cleaner without the pickguard too!  

Only downside is that are as rare as finding hen's teeth in rocking horse poop. Only ever seen a couple come up for sale which is a shame as I would love to try one.

• abw1989 said:
    Just throwing this into the mix too, the Squier Master Series Telecaster:

https://reverb.com/au/item/3243507-squier-master-series-chambered-telecaster-black - the listing has ended but good example of the guitar and price.

Bonus for these is that they have all the LP accompaniments including the set neck, tun'o'matic style bridge and stop tail and the 24.75" scale length. Much cleaner without the pickguard too!  

Only downside is that are as rare as finding hen's teeth in rocking horse poop. Only ever seen a couple come up for sale which is a shame as I would love to try one.

yup thats as cool as a polar bears dangley bits 
    edited December 2018
    ^^^^ Wow! That is nice.

Its funny how black, no pickguard and anodized knobs looks better than the troublemaker tele, which IMO looks a bit too much like a Tele pretending to to be Les Paul...

Image result for troublemaker telecaster black

All of this is successfullly curing my GAS for a Gold Top Les Paul though. I don't really need it after all.
    Need = no
    Want = yes
    Can afford = no
    Two 'no's' mean no Les Paul for me :-(
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 641
    @NelsonP ; I think the Troublemaker was meant to be exactly that. A bit of a cheeky, novelty, tongue in cheek design but still a great and usable guitar.

Those Master Series Teles also came in thinline hollowbody guise with a more standard Fender style hardtail.
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    NelsonP said:
    ^^^^ Wow! That is nice.

Its funny how black, no pickguard and anodized knobs looks better than the troublemaker tele, which IMO looks a bit too much like a Tele pretending to to be Les Paul...

Image result for troublemaker telecaster black

All of this is successfullly curing my GAS for a Gold Top Les Paul though. I don't really need it after all.
    Need = no
    Want = yes
    Can afford = no
    Two 'no's' mean no Les Paul for me :-(
    The blue one looks inherently more Fender-y despite being exactly the same ;) Still loving mine.

Yes, the blue one definitely looks more Fender-y. Amazing how much difference the colour makes really!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Personally I don't like that much scratchplate on a tele