Unbelievable achievement! Free soloist climber Alex Honnold

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BrioBrio Frets: 1947
    Free Solo, Dawn Wall and Valley Uprising live on all my mobile devices. Brilliant films about sonething I can never do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24643
    edited January 2023
    Maniac.  You just know it's only a matter of time before the inevitable news "Climber Alex Honnold has died after falling XXX feet in a tragic accident".

No matter how skilled you are, you are always rolling the dice.

As Bones once put it...  "Goddamn irresponsible - playing games with life"

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1328
    Emp_Fab said:
    Maniac.  You just know it's only a matter of time before the inevitable news "Climber Alex Honnold has died after falling XXX feet in a tragic accident".

No matter how skilled you are, you are always rolling the dice.

As Bones once put it...  "Goddamn irresponsible - playing games with life"

Possibly, but that's not how he sees it.

For him it's the same as anyone doing anything with a risk attached, and he doesn't consider it reckless.
    In the same way someone playing Russian roulette might not think they're being reckless.  Ok, the odds are significantly better but the principle is the same.

He's basically gambling his life on his ability to gauge with absolute certainty whether a handhold isn't unexpectedly slippery or has an invisible fracture.

It's grossly irresponsible to his friends and family and the emergency responders and surgeons that might try to put him back together should he fall.

Yes, there are many high-risk pastimes but all of them at least try to mitigate the risks.

I can't deny it's thrilling to watch but it's really the equivalent of superbike racing in the nude on a track made of cheese graters and angry scorpions.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zedhexzedhex Frets: 197
    I climbed the stairs once without holding the banister.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4375
    Emp_Fab said:
    In the same way someone playing Russian roulette might not think they're being reckless.  Ok, the odds are significantly better but the principle is the same.

He's basically gambling his life on his ability to gauge with absolute certainty whether a handhold isn't unexpectedly slippery or has an invisible fracture.

It's grossly irresponsible to his friends and family and the emergency responders and surgeons that might try to put him back together should he fall.

Yes, there are many high-risk pastimes but all of them at least try to mitigate the risks.

I can't deny it's thrilling to watch but it's really the equivalent of superbike racing in the nude on a track made of cheese graters and angry scorpions.
    Have you seen the film? Or do you know anything about him, other than he sometimes climbs without a rope?

In the film it explains how he thinks. 

He assesses risk very differently, as his skill level is very different to most.

Sure there are risks involved in what he does, but he does takes steps to minimise them as much as possible.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• CHRISB50 said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Have you seen the film? Or do you know anything about him, other than he sometimes climbs without a rope?

He assesses risk very differently, as his skill level is very different to most.

Sure there are risks involved in what he does, but he does takes steps to minimise them as much as possible.
    Exactly this.

He uses ropes until he's completely secure in his confidence that he can do the moves without the rope. 
    If he's not confident, then he walks away from it. 
    The "Boulder Problem" almost caused him to abandon his ambition to do El Cap. 

To me what he does is no worse than racing motorcycles or even boxing. There are significant risks, but through skill, planning and care they can be mitigated but not eliminated. 
    edited January 2023
    To me what he does is no worse than racing motorcycles or even boxing. There are significant risks, but through skill, planning and care they can be mitigated but not eliminated. 
    It is very, very different, mainly because in free soloing, the one time you make one mistake and slip, you die.  That cannot be said about any other activity with perhaps the exception of that other unhinged 'sport' of free diving - and even that is very often done with the safety of emergency scuba divers on hand.

Lose your grip once in free soloing and, barring a miracle where you manage to cling on with your other limbs, you are going to plummet to your near-certain death.

Emp_Fab said:
    It is very, very different, mainly because in free soloing, the one time you make one mistake and slip, you die.  That cannot be said about any other activity with perhaps the exception of that other unhinged 'sport' of free diving - and even that is very often done with the safety of emergency scuba divers on hand.

Lose your grip once in free soloing and, barring a miracle where you manage to cling on with your other limbs, you are going to plummet to your near-certain death.

One serious mistake and he falls, yes.  His version of mistake would be slightly imperfect hand placement.

So it's a bit like crossing a UK NSL road when you look at it like that.

I get what you're saying, but that's not how he sees it and your line of what is acceptable is completely arbitrary.  How do you feel about close proximity wingsuit flying Vs "normal" skydiving?
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3157
    At what point do these guys say 'enough is enough'?  It can't be when they make a mistake because then they'd be dead. Do they risk assess injuries, aches, mental wellbeing etc or reluctantly give in to the wishes of loved ones perhaps through having kids? 

Or just continue until the inevitable happens?

I'm guessing there's no 'toning down' with it either. You can't really go from a 600m free climb to a 50m free climb, because likely it will still kill you and anything between 10m-50m is likely to cause you life changing injuries which is surely their pet hate (they'd rather be dead than in a wheelchair?).
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    edited January 2023
    CHRISB50 said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Exactly this.

He uses ropes until he's completely secure in his confidence that he can do the moves without the rope. 
    If he's not confident, then he walks away from it. 
    The "Boulder Problem" almost caused him to abandon his ambition to do El Cap. 

Was the Boulder Problem the one where he couldn't do it, and hadn't done it until he tried it without ropes? So, without ropes he was either going to be a hero or be dead, which is pretty much exactly what Emp_Fab is saying.

PS why is it so difficult to properly format a comment on this forum? Or is it just me? :D 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    Pjon said:
    PS why is it so difficult to properly format a comment on this forum? Or is it just me? :D 
    its just you
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    Pjon said:
    its just you

Damn!
    :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I get it that it's your life to do whatever you want with and Honnold's choices would be absolutely fine IF he had no friends or family, but he does have those things and he has a responsibility to them.

Partaking of an activity that is SO dangerous that one mistake will cost you your life is the equivalent of saying to your loved ones "I don't give a shit about you, my only priority is my own adrenaline rush."

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 356
    edited January 2023
    Emp_Fab said:

You can make a mistake going up the stairs resulting in an untimely death. So what is the solution, avoid the stairs and sleep on the sofa every night?
    Emp_Fab said:
    I get it that it's your life to do whatever you want with and Honnold's choices would be absolutely fine IF he had no friends or family, but he does have those things and he has a responsibility to them.

Partaking of an activity that is SO dangerous that one mistake will cost you your life is the equivalent of saying to your loved ones "I don't give a shit about you, my only priority is my own adrenaline rush."
    I could try to explain how it's not as simple as that but I don't think you get it.

Lots of free solo climbers die. Lots of wing suit pilots die.  Lots of Everest mountaineers die.

None of that stuff is necessary and the deaths will affect their loved ones.