L-Pads and Impedances

bob21bob21 Frets: 170
One for @ICBM and the techs..

If I have an 8 Ohm L-Pad; and a 16ohm Amp and Speaker, am I correct in thinking the combination will make bad things happen?

Just checking to see if I can use the exisiting lpad, or if I need to knock a new one up!

Thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    Might be a bit hard on the output valves, but otherwise not a risk to the amp. If it's a lower-powered single-ended amp it tends to matter less, they're not as impedance-sensitive. L-Pads are fairly safe as a mismatched load anyway since they're purely resistive. (Inductive loads are more risky.)

Is it both the amp and speaker that are 16-ohm, or does the amp have an 8-ohm setting too? If so, use the amp at 8 ohms into the L-Pad and then into the speaker, that's definitely OK. The amp sees the attenuator as the load not the speaker, unless the attenuator is nearly bypassed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    It's a 16 ohm amp, an AC15hw.. It's running at virtually no output anyway, I just want to shave a little off with the pad.. Sound okay?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    Yes, fine.

That's actually the best use for attenuators anyway, rather than cranking the nuts off the amp and strangling it down to bedroom level :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein