Collings 290

What's Hot
bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
I really fancy getting one at some point, but f-me they're expensive.

Anyone here who can give me their thoughts about these?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Coda just got a lovely black one in second hand for under two grand. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5302
    ace guitar, beautiful to play, fantastic neck, impeccable frets and cracking p90's very expensive new though the odd one does pop up 2nd hand though sometimes around £1700+  hope that helps
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Absolutely superb guitars, outstanding build, superb neck and lovely tones. I've owned two 290s in the past and now have a city limits with P90s which is my #1. Worth the dosh if you can stretch to one. Still have GAS for a 290DCS in TV Yellow or Cherry...
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited December 2018
    So basically you're saying I should get one.

I agree.

Case closed.

This would do the trick very nicely:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14520
    tFB Trader
    Build quality + attention to detail is impeccable

Wrap over bridge is compensated, so great for a plain 3rd, hence great tuning/intonation 

In many ways more 'cultured' and easier to handle, regarding playability, than an equivalent historic LP Jnr/Special, certainly for more intricate licks etc - Maybe a touch more polite and less 'ballsy' than an a genuine vintage Gibson, but can compete with a Historic Replica

Best value is a clean used example if you can find one
  • If you can find one,  a PRS McCarty Soapbar Standard is definitely worth a look.I have one (with full rosewood neck) and, having compared it to a 290, wouldn't swap.  Don't get me wrong, Collings make great guitars but there are other options out there.
  • Also have a McSoapy Standard and its a fantastic guitar;  very responsive, probably the best sustain of any of my guitars and very very vesatile.  Never played a Collings 290 so cannot make a direct comparison but as @uncledick has said the McSopay Standard is difficult to find, there were not many made.
  • They're really really nice. Slightly bigger than a Les Paul but also slightly thinner.

If that black one was a doghair finish it'd be perfect.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    edited December 2018
    I had a single cutaway 290 for a few years. Beautifully made, sounded nice, I loved the subtle bevel which runs across the body top to bottom near the neck pickup. Ultimately though, I didn't really bond with it. I wanted to like it so much, but I just found it a bit sterile and in truth, I think I'd prefer a SG with P90's, which is a lot less money. In fact, although they are visually similar, I don't think they they are actually much like a Les Paul Junior / SG, they have a very different vibe. 

I don't like the Collings nitro either, it seems to look like poly if dinked but is very easily marked and does not age nicely. I've seen a few used examples up for sale which look awful...shiny but with lots of dents. 

I don't sell guitars unless I'm totally sure I don't like them, and it took my ages to decide to sell the 290, but after it sold I never missed it for a second. 

I'd try before you buy, and don't assume because it's expensive it's going to be a great guitar. 
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 412
    I,ve had two 290,s, a double cut single P90 with the wrap over bridge and the standard singlecut 290.

There is quite a bit of difference between the pickups Collings use on the 290. The dog ear is far more aggressive than the soapbars they use and probably closer to the Gibson jnr tone.

I decided I actually preferred the more polite soapbar.

Whichever variant they are great guitars.
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Thanks all.

There is some truth in what @Lodious said.  I have a Gibson Les Paul Special which I've very much bonded with, and I'll be honest that I look at the Collings and part of me wants to think "if the Special is so great, the Collings must be awesome".  But I've fallen into that trap before, so will be wary.
  • I have a 290 DC S (serial no 001) the one guitar that I will never sell - in short they are superb! Extremely versatile even with just one p90

• The 360’s are great too
  • Fantastic guitars.

The two pickup single cutaways are great...

... but there's some special magic to the single pickup, double cutaway with a simple wrap over bridge. Never fails to put a smile on my face whenever I pick one up. Technically, it's one of the simplest, least complicated guitars I've ever played... but, man alive, they can be so resonant and fun to play.
  • ... and second hand, they can be an absolute bargain.

I'd say, for the quality of guitar they deliver, Collings' electrics are worth the high ticket price. However, with second hand prices so low in the UK... second hand can be an absolute steal.